Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony changes PS3 Specs in Europe

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 04:28 PM

Kind off a bad sign.

http://www.theinquir...x?article=37833

They have completely removed PS2 backwards compatibility in the European market. This is a significant problem for games that were designed with access to mixed-mode support, as apparently several were. Also a problem for game makers who designed games for PS2, thinking they'd get PS3 options as well.

What sony has done is to remove two chips which provide PS2 compatibility in favor of a software ROM to provide emulation. Apparently, the lack of these chips may also cause some issues with other games, and it is unknown how games will perform under software emulation as compared to hardware.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 04:17 AM

Quote:
They have completely removed PS2 backwards compatibility in the European market.
No, they have not. They have simply moved from hardware based backwards compatibility (the Emotion Engine chip) to a software based emulator. This is not really anything new as Sony has previously stated they were looking at a software based solution for backwards compatibility in the past.

The extent of Playstation 2 games supported by the emulator has in no way been announced. Nor has Sony ever said that PS2 backwards compatibility has been "completely" removed.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
This is a significant problem for games that were designed with access to mixed-mode support, as apparently several were.

Name titles or give links detailing such problems, please. AFAIK, PS3 titles are not allowed to utlize PS2 functionality in the manner you're suggesting.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 03:07 PM

My phrasing was bad. I should have said "the PS2 chips have been completely removed".

In regards to the second question, apparently, according to interviews with several online sources, the # of titles impacted will be released from Sony shortly.

http://www.gamesindu...e.php?aid=23040

There is some talk with Gamespot that some game developers say that the way the emulation has been handled may cause changes in base code, which could impact some of the "tricks" they've implemented with their design.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

Forum Nav Content I Follow