Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why is the Night Sky Always Bright During a Snowstorm

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 02:19 PM

Anyone ever notice that the night sky is always seems bright when it is snowing out. Sometimes it looks almost purple. I always thought that maybe it was because light reflected off of ice and snow in the sky. But I really have no idea. Anyone know?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Dennis*G

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

• 524 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 02:38 PM

Yep, that's the reason. The light is being reflected off the snow falling, and the ground. Now if you are in the country it's just as dark as if it was not snowing as there is no light to relect.

I love snow at 2am and you can look out and it's as bright as a cloudy day.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 03:09 PM

Uhhh huh huh huh ....I'm smart......or something....uhh huh huh
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 25 2007 - 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis*G
Yep, that's the reason. The light is being reflected off the snow falling, and the ground. Now if you are in the country it's just as dark as if it was not snowing as there is no light to relect.
Unless there's a full moon. A snowy night with a full moon in the country is nearly as bright as one in a city is.

On the other hand, nothing I have seen quite compares to seeing clouds at 3 am in Boston when it's snowy.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 10:39 PM

They just built a car dealership about a half-mile from my house, with all the insane lot lights illuminated every night. Our night-time "snow sky" is brighter than a normal summer day !

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted February 26 2007 - 12:55 AM

When I'm winter hiking or skiing, it is quite common to be able to navigate and hike on a clear night with snow on the ground simply by moonlight. And it typically doesn't even require a full moon, however, a full moon winter hike at night is absolutely magical. No need for a headlamp and it is my favorite season for hiking.

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 04:11 AM

Yeah - I noticed this last night while letting the dog out at about 10 pm. Snowing and very bright out!!
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   vergey

vergey

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 07:25 PM

Yep thanks for the information! I was wondering why it's 3:30 am and the sky is orange and bright

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 08 2013 - 02:06 AM

All right.  I'll ask my dumb question--as I am reminded of it by this resurrected thread.

Why, on certain evenings, usually at dusk, does the moon look so gigantically HUGE just above the horizon and then later on in the evening it looks to be its normal small size?

I always figure its got something to do with the amount of atmosphere you are seeing it through when it is closer to the horizon line...but it has always been a wonder.

One time, my wife and I were driving down Route 7 in Vermont and pulled over to take some pictures of the moon rising over the Green Mountains.  The thing was a beautiful orange color and I had never seen it larger.  It was freakishly large (like it was hurtling towards Earth!).  I took out my 35mm film SLR and took a number of pictures of this gorgeous site.  I was really anticipating these pictures of these gorgeous landscapes underneath the giant unnaturally colored moon.  Days later when I got the film back I was never more disappointed.  While the pictures were still nice, the moon--on film--looked extraordinarily normal (and small).  Major bummer.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,893 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:47 AM

Why does the moon look bigger? Nobody knows for sure! /cue creepy theramin music http://en.wikipedia....i/Moon_illusion When it last snowed at my old house, I got that disturbing "snow flash," where a bright flash went off in my vision that night. Not sure what that's called.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H 

Why does the moon look bigger? Nobody knows for sure! /cue creepy theramin music

http://en.wikipedia....i/Moon_illusion

When it last snowed at my old house, I got that disturbing "snow flash," where a bright flash went off in my vision that night. Not sure what that's called.

Cool link, Greg.  Thanks.  Must remember that there's a wiki page for nearly everything.  Posted Image

I am, however, frankly amazed that there aren't people who know the answer to my question.  C'mon...  There's got to be a simple scientific explanation.  At least you would think so, right?!?  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,306 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 08 2013 - 09:39 AM

Why does the moon look bigger? Nobody knows for sure! /cue creepy theramin music

If you have any information, please call our toll free number, 1 (800) 876-5353.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users