What's new

Your dream movie. What would you wish for? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A great novel you have read you feel needs to be a movie, an awesome sequel, or an original idea. If you could wish for one movie to be made, what would it be? Remember you can pick any director dead or alive,(think Kubrick doing Jaws) this is just a what if thread.

Steven Spielberg isn't what he used to be. His films are still very good, it's just the choice of material he chooses that is somewhat average. Remember the magic of Jaws, Close Encounters, and E.T? Yup, me too. So here is what I have

Steven Spielberg writes and directs a sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30 years later with the original cast and crew. It could be something like this: Roy Neary returns to earth after 30 years with an alien race. Something about him is different, but what is it? What did he learn, and is it important? You bet. The ending would be amazing.
Now, I don't think a sequel would diminish the first film. I think it would enhance it. With Spielberg writing, and directing (like the first film)we would all be in good hands.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A sequel to The Incredibles directed by Brad Bird with the characters aged a few years later.

If I could be so arrogant as to choose a movie to make myself, it would be an adaptation of Fahrenheit 451

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
A Star Wars sequel trilogy comes to mind even though my better judgment tells me the franchise should be left alone after ROTJ.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'd love to see a movie based on the Ken Grimwood novel 'Replay'.

A sequel to Robocop that returns the series to it's dark and intense roots.

A sequel to Christine, always thought that more could be done with that story.

Finally, and i'm hoping it'll happen because Richard Linklater said it would, another follow-up film to Before Sunrise/Sunset, I won't be happy until Jesse and Celine end up together.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's a spoiler, John.

No current dream project, but LOTR, while imperfect, was a dream come true. I doubt anything will ever top that, I will never be a kid again (OK, 16) as I was when I fell in love with the world of Tolkien and began wishing for a movie.

Actually there is one current dream project, a Babylon 5 movie as good as Serenity was for fans of Firefly.

--
H

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I prefer Spielberg's choices of late. I'd like it more if he'd skip IJ4 for his Lincoln biopic :) If I could pick a Spielberg movie, I want him to do a Superman movie. Origin and everything. I think he's perfect for it.

I guess my dream movie is not going to happen now, but Michael Mann was attached to Gates of Fire for some time. That would have really been something.

I'm not really dying for any sequels, but Adam brought up a film I'd love to see ;)

Other wishes...

Other superheroes:
1) A Jim Cameron Green Lantern
2) A high budget animated Kingdom Come
3) Captain America...with the right script and direction, this could blow away the genre - fat chance of that.

All that said...I love being surprised by what the great directors do.

That said, one neat idea I had was taking a disparate group of A-list directors, giving them the same basic script, the same budget, and seeing what they turn out. Heck, pick your own directors, it'd be fun.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to see how the Star Wars franchise turned out in the parallel universe where Gary Kurtz didn't leave and Lucas had someone in a position of influence telling him to try harder when Lucas brought up ideas like Ewoks :)

Hmmm...my brain is freezing but among the things I'd like:

A big budget adaptation of Karl Edward Wagner's Kane, preferably with special effects by Rob Bottin. Directed by Guillermo Del Toro (admittedly, Del Toro has sort of become my dream director for almost any hard-edged horror/action/fantasy. There are numerous projects I think he'd be great at).

An adaptation of Jack Williamson's Darker Than You Think, by good 1980's John Carpenter.

The Star Knights. This was supposedly going to be a low-budget Italian rip-off of Star Wars, which sounds painful except that this was the movie that Mario Bava was getting set to direct right before he died. I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with it.

A biographical film on the life of Jack Kirby. Just like all those other overlong biopics, except this one would have cool artwork. Spielberg might actually be a good fit for something like this.

David Owens

Agent
The real sequel to "Aliens".

I know many people are fans of Alien 3, and I have to admit I have somewhat warmed to it over the years (mostly because of Fincher's style and the production design)...the less said about Alien: Resurrection the better.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

It is very likely that he will shoot those pictures back to back a la Jurassic Park/Schindlers List, War Of The Worlds/Munich, etc.

He definitely likes prepping his "Oscar" and popcorn pictures at the same time. I think he enjoys the overlap.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Iron Man & a Grendel trilogy - Both done properly.

I would have loved to have seen Kubrick's Napoleon.

Grant Degs

Agent
Four Choices come to mind.

1) Movie Trilogy of The Hyperion/Edymion books by Dan Simmons (4 books) directed by James Cameron

2) Movie of "In the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft directed by Del Toro

3) Movie Trilogy or more of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" directed Peter Jackson or maybe Christoper Nolan

4) Movie Trilogy or more of "A Song of Ice and Fire" Series by George R.R. Martin directed by Peter Jackson (Of course the HBO series that is planned could be a better way to go given the depth of the novels)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Grant,

I agree. An adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire would be great. I know that the HBO series is planned, so I'm hoping that it turns out great. The project itself would have to be very ambitious.

I guess overall I wish there was more higher quality Science Fiction movies made. Most of the sci-fi movies have a terrible script / bad acting / etc. etc. and I just yearn for the day when there are more movies such as Gatacca and Blade Runner made.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I hate to beat what seems to be a dead horse, but I still have dreams and hopes for Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit".

LotR had flaws? Yeah, it wasn't long enough. ;o)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
One thing I forgot to mention about my dream movie. A sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind with no CGI. Nothing but models for the alien crafts, and such, and old world(late 70's style) SFX. Not that I have anything against CGI, just don't feel it would fit with the original film too well.
Talk about dreaming. Sometimes you have to go retro to be fresh, and original.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Forbidden Journey: The Life of Alexandra David-Néel

Principle Cast

Helena Bonham Carter ............ Alexandra David-Néel (young)
Kathrine Hepburn ................... Alexandra David-Néel (aged)
Theda Bara............................ Elisabeth Morgan
Antonin Artaud....................... The King of Belgium
Celia Lovsky.......................... Madame Helena Blavatsky
John Hurt.............................. Sri Ananda Saraswati
Daisuke Katô...........................The 13th Dalai Lama
Laurence Olivier.......................Phillippe Neel
Chow Yun Fat......................... Maharaj Kumar of Sikkim
Gloria Swanson........................ Violet Sydney
Sam Jaffe............................... The Panchen Lama
Toshiro Mifune......................... Ekai Kawaguchi
Yul Brenner.............................. The Lolo Bandit King
Marlon Brando...........................Swami Bhaskarananda
Wilem Dafoe............................. The Tulpa Demon

Crew

Director: Jean Cocteau
Editor: Owen Marks
Cinematography: Carl Freund
Color: Technicolor 3-strip
Sound: Christopher Aud
Visual Effects Design: Maya Deren
Visual Effects Production: WETA
Costumes: Trisha Biggar (Asia) and Edith Head (Europe)
Art Direction: Alfred Junge
Original Music: Bernard Herrmann and Vangelis
Original Screenplay: Jason Ashley

If you know nothing about her, take a look. One of the most fascinating lives ever lived.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
None of these is a movie idea, at least not conventional theatrical movies. But my dream projects are:

The List of 7 - Guillermo del Toro directs a two-part mini-series based on this romp of a gaslight supernatural thriller.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn - HBO or Showtime have a three or four season adaptation of this amazing, moving and epic fantasy trilogy. Far too much to cram even into three 3-hour films (more than twice as long as LotR, page-wise and even more plot-wise).

Sherwood - A lyrical, realistic and epic retelling of the Robin Hood story, set right after the Battle of Hastings rather than the usual time of the late 1100's. This would need to be a 3-4 night mini-series, or a 6-7 part mini-series on cable.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
"Movie Trilogy or more of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" directed Peter Jackson or maybe Christoper Nolan"

Amen!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
-Live action Justice League movie or a Batman/Superman teamup. But, make sure Bruce Timm is the writer.

-Redo Superman. Making Lex a corporate ceo. Get rid of the kid, cast Tom Welling as Supes and have Metallo as the villian with Lex pulling the strings.

-A theatrical movie based on the short-lived tv show "Vengeance Unlimited" starring Michael Madsen. With Michael reprising his role. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks