Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#81 of 157 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,123 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 08:47 AM

James, that is wonderful news! Please keep us all updated and posted as to when we can expect these last two seasons to come out and hoping you guys can work on getting Season 5 of Rhoda out and Mad About You S6 & S7. Appreciate the news.

Mad About You is a Sony show and not Fox. Currently Shout Factory has the distribution rights to Mad About You and after the low sales on season 5 they have stated more than once that the final seasons will not be coming out anytime soon if ever. As for Rhoda season 5, that is also Shout Factory. I think their negotiations with Fox fell through and they are unable to secure licensing for the final season of Rhoda.

I'm just hoping it gets released soon as they made these announcements a year or so ago and we're still wondering what's up here? Same applies to The Muppet Show S4 too.

Muppet Show is Disney and not Fox. Again, James nor Fox have anything to do with The Muppets. I've been to Muppet Central the official Muppet site and there is no news on Season 4. More than likely music clearances are keeping this from happening. Or George Lucas is playing hard ball about the episode with the Star Wars characters in it. It's obvious that something really big is keeping this from being released or it would have been released by now.

#82 of 157 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:39 AM

Oops, should have realized that those other shows I mentioned were licensed by other studios...my fault and thanks for the clarification Brian.

#83 of 157 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,123 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:37 AM

Oops, should have realized that those other shows I mentioned were licensed by other studios...my fault and thanks for the clarification Brian.

No problem. All of those shows are on my list that I want completed too. So I tend to keep up with any news on them.

#84 of 157 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:38 AM

Mike Dunn is a failure of epic proportions.
 To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#85 of 157 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,432 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 07:29 AM

I'm finally getting to see the 5th and 6th season episodes airing now on MeTV. I haven't seen these episodes in ages!

Bring them to DVD please!

#86 of 157 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
the companies expect way too much. Bob Newhart Show is not going to make the type of profit The Simpsons does, I don't see how Fox can't grasp that
Absolutely spot on. I've said it before, but I'll gladly say it again; the studios are going about releasing their TV shows, in the totally wrong fashion. They need to see TV shows like they see their movies, something they put out no matter what the expectations. How many copies, did the expect to sell of lesser known movies like "Night Train To Paris" (1964 Leslie Nielsen thriller) or "The Star Chamber" (1983 Michael Douglas thriller)? Great movies, I have them both, but there were no advance numbers telling them how well they'd do (they're hardly sellers in the millions) and yet they've been released. And similar films were, and continue to be, released. If only they'd lower their expectations with TV shows, much would be alright. Why should television shows be treated differently than feature films, with often unrealistic demands, it only makes my hair gray too soon. htf_images_smilies_frown.gif

Most of those movies haven't been seen for a while on DVD, and are now in the cutout bins because they didn't see in big numbers (of course, if they were promoted like current releases, then they would sell...)

#87 of 157 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 01:37 PM

Here are my suggestions for special features: Bob Newhart and the rest of the surviving cast should be involved in the special features. For the Season 6 set, additional TV appearances from the cast should be included as special features. Here is a list of those appearances: "St. Elsewhere" (November 1985): Mr. Carlin from The Bob Newhart Show appears here. "ALF" (1987): Bill Daily (Howard) and Mr. Carlin appear. Newhart (1988): Mr. Carlin appears, Dick (Bob Newhart) thinks he recognizes him, Mr. Carlin's therapist tells Dick that she is trying to undo the "work of a quack in Chicago" (as in Bob Hartley, of course). The Bob Newhart Show "20th" Anniversary Special (1991, with a new introduction from Bob Newhart). "Bob" (1992): Jerry Robinson (Peter Bonerz) appears. "Murphy Brown" (March 14, 1994): Bob and Carol appear. "Saturday Night Live" (February 11, 1995): Bob appears in two sketches. 1996 MTV Movie Awards: Bob, Bill, Jack Riley, and Peter Bonerz appear in a spoof of "Braveheart". "George and Leo": The Cameo Episode (1997). CBS at 75 (2003): Bob and Emily introduce a section on legendary comedians. Nick at Nite and TV Land promos should also be included.

I have my doubts that Fox Home Entertainment would do what you want at all, especially for Newhart, and especially with all of the clearances that would be needed to get these appearances on the DVD box set. It would have to sell like Star Trek: TOS for that to happen.

#88 of 157 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,004 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 04:59 PM

Nowadays, i can't trust FOX to do anything right or proper with their TV shows and movies anymore, especially with a prime example of a recent movie they just released on the archive and they literally half-assed it to shreds. There's a review of that movie on the site for Three Little Girls in Blue as that said example. 

#89 of 157 OFFLINE   Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 09:48 AM

So, what exactly is holding-up the rest of this wonderful series?

#90 of 157 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,432 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 09:17 PM

http://www.tvshowson...te-Series/19337

Shout Factory may actually be doing the complete series. I'm not holding my breath yet.

#91 of 157 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:15 AM

^Not *may* but *are*.  Here's a link to the official press release announcing the product:

TVShowsonDVD

It's a 19-DVD set that will be in stores May 27th, OR available from Shout! online store on April 22nd.  It's available for pre-order at Amazon & Shout!.  I placed my order with Amazon the day it went up (and got it for $10 less than Shout!'s pre-order price).

#92 of 157 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,432 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 11:51 AM

Well, I was saying "may" because this seems too good to be true. :). So until they are really out, I'll believe it. It certainly sounds and looks real and official. That's great news you preordered.

#93 of 157 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,432 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 11:53 AM

By the way, it's unfortunate the timing was such that Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace are not here for the new interviews.
  • MatthewA and BobO'Link like this

#94 of 157 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 05:52 AM

Wow. Didn't know that Marcia Wallace had passed away.

#95 of 157 OFFLINE   BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:57 AM

Amazon currently has The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series on sale for $79.99.  My pre-order has already been price adjusted.  That's $13.33/season - a *great* price for all 6 seasons and, IMHO, absolutely worth the double-dip as the discs will be single sided!

#96 of 157 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:55 AM

Amazon currently has The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series on sale for $79.99.  My pre-order has already been price adjusted.  That's $13.33/season - a *great* price for all 6 seasons and, IMHO, absolutely worth the double-dip as the discs will be single sided!

That's the kind of news I was waiting for. I preordered early on just in case it might get reduced and I missed it, but with the mind set of cancelling if it stayed at the previously listed price. I was starting to think cancelling would be the way to go and wait for a deal of the day sale sometime down the road. But this is a price i can live with.

#97 of 157 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,432 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:30 PM

I'm going to take a guess, based on the extras appearing to be the same as the Fox sets, that this releases is not going to be remastered. And that the first 4 seasons will be from identical sources used for the Fox discs. And it follows the remaining 2 seasons will be the same sources. I hope I'm wrong and the series had been given a once over and perhaps looks a little shinier.

#98 of 157 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 03:36 AM

Was going to hold off on this until I saw the price drop. Pre-ordered!

#99 of 157 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,203 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 04:25 AM

Always preorder. The prices always drop, sometimes substantially, before street date.

#100 of 157 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,365 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 28 2014 - 12:41 PM

I am wary. I'll wait for reviews. S4 had rubbish transfers, easily the worst I've ever bought/seen for a TV series from the U.S. (I've seen plenty worse from the UK and Canada, even for relatively recent series). BN clearly didn't think much of it either: he was interviewed just when it came out and didn't even mention it, but he mentioned "everything" else he was peddling at the time. IOW the subsequent seasons may have been even more poorly treated...seemed to be the trend. Not going to reward them twice for this poor treatment, even though I hate flippers, but these ones haven't been a problem. I am surprised how well this program holds up though, least for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users