What's new

Restaurants that leave condiment bottles on the table (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: The title should be: "Restaurants that leave condiment bottles on the table"

I was at a steak house today and I was sitting near the window. The sun was blaring in on the bottles of ketchup, soy sauce and A1. As I was pouring the A1, I was like "Oh man, should I really be doing this???"

Why is it that restaurants leave these bottles on the table? At home we throw them in the fridge as soon as we open them. Is this really necessary or is this because we don't go through condiments quick enough to leave them out? And the one that REALLY kills me, is the grated cheese shakers on the tables at Italian restaurants! :eek:

The bottles always say you should refrigerate after opening, so if you can't leave them out, why are restaurants doing it? Wouldn't we all be really sick if it was that bad?

??? :confused:

EDIT #2: I fixed the typo from sub to sun.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Wow, is it a hi-fi speaker store as well? Do they sell good subs? :P

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, the sun shining on them may not be good. But as for ketchup, mustard, and A1, the bottles all say 'for best quality' refridgerate after opening. So it sounds like it's optional but not required. We refridgerate all of our condiments, btw.

I agree. Because you just know some snot-nosed little kid was licking his fingers and then putting them all over the top of the shaker. Or worse yet, licking the top of the shaker itself.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm a little OCD, so I usually hold the bottle with a spare napkin when I pour the condiments. I try to hide the napkin in my palm as much as I can so the waitress and my fellow diners don't think I'm a nut. But, those bottles often feel real slimy, so it's worth it.

If it's a bottle I have to open, I tear a little part of the napkin off and twist off the top using that part. Yes, I'm ashamed to admit this. :crazy:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oooo! You gotta love the crust on top of some of those ketchup/mustard bottles.

It really is amazing...the psychology behind it all...I am so repulsed by the bottles! You hate to touch them (especially the mouth of the bottle), yet we're perfectly fine with pouring it out onto the plate. LOL

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Considering that condiments are mostly vinegar, salt, and food coloring I wouldn't expect the restaurants put them in a refrigerator. Even if they were to inadvertently open a bottle, leave it on a shelf for six months then serve it you wouldn't know the difference.
Have you ever had a server present a bottle of ketchup that feels like it's fresh out of the fridge? I can't say that I have.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't like cold ketchup, so I wouldn't particularly appreciate the fresh-out-of-the-refrigerator experience. I do like it when the bottle's so new that I have to take off the safety seal. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I remember when we brought McDonald's home (a long time back) and my brother said "Why is it that the fries don't taste the same home as they do at McDonald's" - I mean, we were using the same Heinz ketchup...but I said that it was probably because our ketchup was cold and their ketchup (in the packets) was warm. There is definitely a big difference between cold and warm ketchup on hot fries.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still trying to figure out how the sound waves from a "sub blaring" would affect the quality of condiments???

:confused:

As stated already, I think refrigeration is suggested, not necessarily required. The restaurant probably uses plenty of the condiments before any degradation of quality would occur from room temperature. Most people probably only buy most condiments 2-3 times per year for their home, so it's better to refrigerate to store for long periods.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I hate cold Ketchup. Dont know why. But anyway, ketchup is basically pickled tomatoes, so refrigeration is not needed.

But on the topic of why it tastes different at Mcdonalds or the like is because the packets of Heinz are NOT the same as what you have in the bottle. The packets say FANCY ketchup for a reason. It is sweeter due to the addition of more corn syrup.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
What about those bottled peppers hardly anyone ever uses that probably sit on the table for years.Doesn't it say on the label to refrigerate them also after opening? Geez...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I notice the difference between packets and . . . well, it's bagged ketchup, but I guess it's the same as bottled. I'm talking about Wendy's. Their fries are pretty good if you go inside, but I hate them through the drive-thru. It's because of the ketchup. There have been a few times when the dispenser has been out, and instead of wanting to take the time to fill it, the clerks have handed me some ketchup packets. Not acceptable.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Refrigerated ketchup? Yuck.

I just checked a bottle of Heinz, and it says NOTHING about refrigeration on the label. The only reason to put it in the fridge would be if you liked it cold.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Not trying to make light of your condition or the theme of this thread, but obviously none of the participants have worked backstage in a restaurant.... these condiments are the least of your worries.

But it's a win-win situation. You don't have to cook/clean and it builds up your immune system. "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks