Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Planet of the Apes insert card

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,561 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 09:27 AM

I'm not sure if this belongs here, since it has to do with the plot, but on the insert card in the case, "time does not travel in a straight line through an electromagnetic storm", there seems to be a logical (maybe Posted Image ) explanation for the ending in the movie. Has anyone else checked this out?

cheers!

Josh

#2 of 25 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 09:59 AM

The electical storm seems to be an negative exponential function so that time comes out reversed and non linear as well which explains why the larger ship crashed on the ape planet thousands of years before the main character found it, and why the chimp landed shorlty after he arrived there.

Regarding the ending... When the chimp arrives in his little ship, one of the apes steals a couple of items and puts them in his pocket. I wonder if that could have actually changed history by him doing that?
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 25 Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 05:16 PM

Time does not travel at all, since it is a mad-made concept and nothing more Posted Image If all speed and distance came to a screeching halt, time would in theory, still go on.

Posted Image

#4 of 25 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 05:26 PM

Did anyone else get the fox promo ad insert that shows other FOX dvds?

What I found interesting about it was that there was no way to open it. It was like a book with a spine at both ends. Only way to open it and read it was to rip it. Very confusing.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#5 of 25 Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 09:09 AM

Jeff,

My booklet opened. I too thought it was "Double spined", but as it turns out, there was a fine mist of glue holding one end very close to the other. And I do like the fact that they put in the time/space insert card.

-Jay

#6 of 25 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 12:09 PM

This is one of several times someone has mentioned a ape stealing something which may have potentially changed the future. I didn't notice this in the theaterical run.. so I was looking forward to the DVD to verify. After running it last night... I could still not find this referenced scene. The closest I see is ..
the slavetrader going through a pouch (very openly)and asking if there was "anybody wants some aspirin" (how would he know what aspirin is? Don't get me started).

There was no deliberate or obvious "hiding" shot... did I miss something? Perhaps a time frame reference would help.

#7 of 25 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 01:45 PM

Check right after Attar speaks of humans and apes being mourned together, at time index: 1:45:50. He's taking a small box or somthing from the cockpit, and slipping it into his coat. The scene where he is going thru the survival kit and Leo catches him is later, after he has already hidden away whatever this object was. Perhaps a manuel for how to fly one of the pods or somthing.

Remember, Limbo at this point of the movie is out of a job, no more human slaves, maybe he figures that Thade's ideas are correct and helps him, or he's just screwed over by Thade at a later point. It's most likely a "black box" a flight recorder, that would show the route that Leo uses to leave the planet. Which could be followed, but since whoever did it would leave way after Leo, they would arrive earlier, i.e. in Earth's past. Same way that Pericles left the Oberon shortly before Leo, but didnt arrive til 3 days later. And the Oberon herself moved closer even later, and was flung further back in time.

Heck, for all we know that lil box could be some sort of homing beacon, a ship sometime further in the future lands, drawn by the signal...and Thade and friends seize control and take it thru the time ribbon, back into a more primitive earth and take over. The oberon herself had picked up tons of transmissions from earth's history...probably stored them in it's computer as well, they could have been studied by Thade and others, which explains the Ape Earth being so similar.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Mike
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#8 of 25 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,099 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 01:49 PM

Yes, so they learn to fly a pod, the only one of which is hidden in a pond, which is filled with that water that the apes can't swim in. Makes more sense now.

The film ending doesn't make sense. Never has, never will.

#9 of 25 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 02:15 PM

How is that pod the only pod left, I rather doubt that a deep space research vessel only has 2 pods. Infact we see atleast 3 in the opening shots of the movie aboard it, maybe more.

It makes sense if you look at it not normal, but from a strange point of view, just like Tim Burton. Here is another explanation:

0:00:00 Pericles leaves the Oberon to study storm
0:10:00 Leo leaves the Oberon, after Pericles
1:00:00 Oberon moves closer to search for Leo, gets pulled in.

Now, since time seems to flow backwards in the cloud, the later objects to enter, arrive first. Examples:

-300 to -400 years: Oberon Crashes
Day 1: Leo Crashes
Day 3: Pericles Lands

Leo leaves 3 days after arriving, winds up in 90's earth, but it's an Ape earth, because. A pod or a vessel left the Ape planet, way later then Leo did, so arrived way earlier then he did and changed history.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Mike
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#10 of 25 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,099 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 06:35 AM

That would be a possible explanation, but why would the apes go through history on Earth just like the humans did? And how did they repopulate with only one ape? And how did Thade get freed and escape in the pod? And was it one of the pods in the ship (only 1 of which was left) and did it still have power in it?

Its too outlandish.

#11 of 25 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 07:41 AM

Maybe we'll figure it out when the sequel comes out.
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 25 Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 02:45 AM

In one of the videos he watches in the crashed Oberon, the woman is telling him about one of the apes going crazy or rebelling. In the first time line he obviously gets off the crashed ship and starts the new Apes races. In the 'second' time line at the end I think the Oberon didn't make it to the planet Markey Mark crashed on and instead returned to Earth in the past, where the same rebelling chimp got off. So instead of startng the new Apes race on the first planet it was started on Earth.

#13 of 25 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 23 2001 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
In one of the videos he watches in the crashed Oberon, the woman is telling him about one of the apes going crazy or rebelling. In the first time line he obviously gets off the crashed ship and starts the new Apes races. In the 'second' time line at the end I think the Oberon didn't make it to the planet Markey Mark crashed on and instead returned to Earth in the past, where the same rebelling chimp got off. So instead of startng the new Apes race on the first planet it was started on Earth.

what?? thats the first time i saw anyone say this. do you have a time frame (minutes:seconds,chapter) in the movie to reference to this info.

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 25 Christopher D

Christopher D

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 10:29 AM

I missed the card until I saw this thread. I have to say, analysis of the "explanation" aside, that I found the card hilarious in light of all the discussion of the ending.

*Clearly* the card was intended to answer the question in a sort of "Apes for Dummies" way. Whether folks fully understand or buy it is irrelevant -- the card was so "in your face" remedial it could only be there for one reason.

Burton's basically said -- "This is what happened," like a lot of other things, you just don't know why.

#15 of 25 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,099 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 01:46 PM

The planet that the film takes place on is not Earth. It was established several times in both the film and in interviews with Burton.

The only wasy for the ending to make sense is if there is an alternate universe.

K-Pax got away with an ending that didn't make sense, but it wasn't supposed to. POTA was just bad anyway.

#16 of 25 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 24 2001 - 12:08 AM

I'm afraid I would have to agree with Morgan above. I feel that no matter how convuleted an explanation they come up with for this film's plot in future sequels...there will always be some unsatisfying holes. I attempted to listen to the Burton commentary to get some.. any .. insight into what was going on in his head regarding the ending. He basically is just rambling about nothing for the last 15 minutes of the film... gaps...thoughts very disjointed... it was kind of frustrating.Posted Image

#17 of 25 Anthony_H

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted November 24 2001 - 03:02 AM

After doing some research... I found a site which may be interesting to those with questions regarding the ending. Go to www.planetoftheapes.com/main.asp... click "about the movie"... "ape insights"... "launch research project...".. this is a more detailed online version of the card.... and it give many pieces of info in regards to the ending... stating them very plainly as apparent "fact"...even though this info wasn't given in the movie. And this is an offical FOX video site.

#18 of 25 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,561 posts

Posted November 24 2001 - 12:22 PM

I cannot seem to see an "ape insight" section on that page.

cheers!

Josh

#19 of 25 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,965 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 24 2001 - 12:52 PM

anthony you have 3 dots at the end of that link you posted that make the link not work.

facebook.com/whotony

#20 of 25 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 25 2001 - 12:19 AM

Here is his link http://www.planetoft...es.com/main.asp
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ