-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner Chat 2-26-07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
* Per request of the studio: This chat is restricted to THEATRICAL CATALOG product only. No TV or ANIMATION will be discussed. HD-DVD/BLU-RAY discussion is limited to product specific questions and not format or specs.

Can we at least let them know that some of us have no interest in their THD. Product specific details for a THD flipper I'm not buying doesn't do me a whole lot of good and I would think they might be interested what the forum thinks about this Frankenstein they've created.

#2 of 55 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,324 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:37 AM

They read the forum daily so I'm sure they know how some of us feel about these issues.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 55 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,578 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
that some of us have no interest in their THD..... they might be interested what the forum thinks about this Frankenstein they've created.
Problem is: some people love it. Generally the naysayers get more emphasis, because others aren't going to say "well I love this and that and that, and please can you tell me....".
What the forum thinks about anything, will not be a single opinion that can simply be communicated in a chat.

Cees

#4 of 55 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 10:16 AM

Well in that case, I love BD-50's with maxed out video and audio filling the entire disc space available in either AVC or VC1 and a lossless audio track topped off with nice disc art sold at a reasonable price <$25.

I have no interest in THD or Combo discs. I personally think they are a step backwards.

#5 of 55 King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 12:00 PM

Anybody else wondering when Heat will be on HD-DVD, or am I alone here?
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#6 of 55 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 03:54 PM

I need Heat, and every other Warner 2 disc SE DVD onto 1 disc non-combo HD DVD.

#7 of 55 JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 03:34 AM

I'm with you Yumbo. How about The Maltise Falcon? And for that matter, Universal, how about a couple of Franks and Drac?
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#8 of 55 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,251 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
Well in that case, I love BD-50's with maxed out video and audio filling the entire disc space available in either AVC or VC1 and a lossless audio track topped off with nice disc art sold at a reasonable price <$25.

I have no interest in THD or Combo discs. I personally think they are a step backwards.

Exactly. I don't want to be stuck with the lowest common denominator.

#9 of 55 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 06:08 AM

Can one of the moderators elaborate a little more on the "specs" part? My biggest question is in regards to the audio bitrates on future releases. Is that considered off limits?

#10 of 55 Fozziwig

Fozziwig

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Can we at least let them know that some of us have no interest in their THD. Product specific details for a THD flipper I'm not buying doesn't do me a whole lot of good and I would think they might be interested what the forum thinks about this Frankenstein they've created.

These HiDef Mutant Discs are great for sharing between friends using different formats.

Blu-ray friend buys title and watches it. Loans it to HD DVD friend who watches it (no sale for WB). Stick it on eBay - it has no collectable value after all - to sell on (no sale for WB) and so on.

That's an example where THD is actually useful. But it costs WB several potential sales - perhaps that's what they had in mind when they said it was consumer friendly?

When I buy, for example, a Blu-ray title from WB will the HD DVD version glued to the other side be free (I have zero interest in owning it)? To be honest I don't even want to have it given to me. How will the HD DVD only fans feel about buying Blu-ray? How will the sales figures be decided. Presumably it has to be 50:50 but didn't the departed on Blu-ray just outsell the HD DVD version on Amazon by 3:1? So THD cheats the dominating format out of legitimate sales by handing exactly the same number to the minority format.

Completely and utterly ludicrous.

Anyway, here's a banana playing the drums Posted Image - that's about as likely as THD actually being launched!

#11 of 55 Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 07:42 AM

I'd like to see the forum push Warner to commit to releasing separate HD-DVD only releases of combo titles. I don't think I'm the only one who objects to being forced to pay extra for a DVD version on the flipside I'll never use.

I don't completely despise combo discs, but I would like the choice of an HD-DVD only version for $5 - $10 dollars less.

#12 of 55 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,216 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 08:30 AM

A few things....

As in past practice, we would like as very little discussion
as possible (if not at all) about the things you plan to ask
during the Warner chat.

The studio asked me to make it clear that questions be
regarding Theatrical product only. Perhaps because we are
involved in a format war, the studio doesn't want to fully
disclose their plans for either format as far as audio specs
or otherwise.

As far as THD is concerned, start a thread about it
(if one does not exist already) to talk about your concerns.
More than any other studio, Warner reads this forum often.
I guarantee whatever you post will be recognized by them.
Please don't use the chat as a forum to rail the studio about
any particular issue. When doing this, it ruins the chat for
everyone else.

Thanks!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 55 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB

I think that's why they specified no discusion about format or specs. It's off the table. They don't want to hear it.

Personally, I think it's going to be problematic, if not over-priced. A few prototypes that "work", isn't the same as production runs of hundreds of thousands, even millions. That's a lot of crap to stuff onto one disc, especially without trimming content or features, as Warner contends will be the case.

The bright spot is: at least the price tag will get passed along to the Blu crowd, too, instead of the HD crowd being singled out for combo pricing.

#14 of 55 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
The studio asked me to make it clear that questions be regarding Theatrical product only. Perhaps because we are
or otherwise.

OK, that's fair. I didn't want to break the rules but I wasn't entirely sure what was off limits.

Quote:
Please don't use the chat as a forum to rail the studio about
any particular issue. When doing this, it ruins the chat for
everyone else.Thanks!

I agree. That and the inevitable "Why don't you license your films to Criterion?" question. Posted Image

#15 of 55 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,324 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 24 2007 - 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
I think that's why they specified no discusion about format or specs. It's off the table. They don't want to hear it.

Personally, I think it's going to be problematic, if not over-priced. A few prototypes that "work", isn't the same as production runs of hundreds of thousands, even millions. That's a lot of crap to stuff onto one disc, especially without trimming content or features, as Warner contends will be the case.

The bright spot is: at least the price tag will get passed along to the Blu crowd, too, instead of the HD crowd being singled out for combo pricing.
There is already a thread on that subject matter in which Warner, in all probability, has already read. If some of you feel that opinions regarding THD have not been expressed enough then revive that thread with some fresh discusison.

Furthermore, I have already expressed my personal opinion that I don't particularly like combo discs of any kind, but I can live with the THD if priced reasonably, since I own both formats, but I fully understand why others would not like it. My personal preference is to not have any combo discs at all because they're causing software costs to remain high which IMO is hurting the adoption of either format.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#16 of 55 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts

Posted February 24 2007 - 09:23 PM

Personally, I love hybrid SACD with SACD for home and CD for the auto. DualDisc with the DVD-A for home and CD for the auto was something I bought as well. I also own quite a few DVD-A/CD packages for the same reason. I have only one Blu-ray player connected to one display and haven't completely thought out the dual format possibilities with the new HD formats but first thought it seems to make sense. I fully expect DVD to dominate the market for the life of DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray with sales of each and every title until all three formats and optical discs in total disappear from homes. Being able to play the discs in DVD players at family or friends homes or RV's or portable DVD players may be attractive to a lot of people. Right now I continue to buy budget and used DVD's and rent Blu-ray from Netflix and fully expect that decision to continue for the life of my Blu-ray involvement. Of course if Blu-ray does become mass market and players and discs priced comparably to DVD, that will change. I don't see that happening and I don't see owning a library of films for one player on one display.

Since hybrid SACD and DualDisc haven't exactly been great successes, maybe the idea is dumb, don't look to me for the answer. I like what I like and don't usually pick the formats that succeed.

Chris

#17 of 55 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,071 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 09:11 AM

I am very disappointed that we can not talk about HD releases. I was very excited about this discusion with WB about a week ago. But now I might as well do something else instead of getting involved with the chat. There just does not seem to be any reason to participate now? Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#18 of 55 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,324 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 25 2007 - 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
I am very disappointed that we can not talk about HD releases. I was very excited about this discusion with WB about a week ago. But now I might as well do something else instead of getting involved with the chat. There just does not seem to be any reason to participate now? Posted Image
You don't want to ask them what's coming out on HD releases or when will new HD releases occur on the same day as SD DVD releases? Oh well, whatever.

Crawdaddy

#19 of 55 Bob Black

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 11:04 AM

What I want to know from Warner more than anything else is WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO START RELEASING HD-DVDS AGAIN! And I'm not talking about Bullitt and The Getaway -- I'm talking about Harry Potter, The Matrix, Green Mile, Shawshank and others that were expected in 2006. When HD-DVD is sputtering with new releases and they're sitting on major titles (some that have already been released overseas) that would help this format immensely, I find it ridiculous that they have adopted such a policy.

It's absolutely ridiculous that the UK gets our Harry Potter release, complete with FBI Warning, while the US continues to play the waiting game! I just ordered it from amazon.uk, but a title like this would help drive the format. There's simply no reason to play these games with the format -- WHERE ARE THE BIG GUNS?

#20 of 55 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,071 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 11:53 AM

Quote:
The studio asked me to make it clear that questions be
regarding Theatrical product only. Perhaps because we are
or otherwise.

I take this as we can not ask them about HD releaseses. I do want to know about HD-DVD releases and I am not sure about the "Oh well, whatever" response!
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow