Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fail Sfae (2000) and The Hill (1965) -- Due 6/5/07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:10 AM

Oscar winner George Clooney heads an all-star cast in the tense and powerful Cold War thriller Fail Safe. Originally broadcast live on CBS in April 2000, the cold war drama was directed by Oscar-nominee Stephen Frears ("The Queen") and featured an all-star cast including Richard Dreyfus, Noah Wyle, Don Cheadle, Harvey Keitel, James Cromwell, Hank Azaria and Sam Elliott. The DVD from Warner Home Video arrives on June 5th and features a 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital Mono audio. Retail is $19.97.

Also due on June 5th are a number of other catalog titles, including 36 Hours, 1943's Air Force, Command Decision, Hell To Eternity, 1965's The Hill with Sean Connery and Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo. All feature new fullscreen transfers, except The Hill (1.85:1 anamorphic) and 36 Hours (2.40:1 anamorphic). Retail is $19.97 apiece, or you can get all in the WW II Collection Vol. 2: Heroes Fight For Freedom for $59.92.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 12 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:20 AM

IIRC Clooney elected to perform Fail Safe twice so that it would be live on both coasts. If thats true then which version are we getting here?

#3 of 12 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 07:47 AM

Clooney's Fail Safe is nowhere as good as the Henry Fonda Fail Safe. If you're only going to own one, go for the Fonda version.

I've had the Clooney version on a R2 version (I believe) for some time.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#4 of 12 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,627 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 23 2007 - 10:30 AM

Well, to be fair, Clooney's FAIL SAFE was a live studio drama, and for that medium, I found it quite compelling. It's a totally different animal to the Fonda/Lumet film which has all the benefits of film technique over live drama.

Comparing the two would be like comparing the TV versions of TWELVE ANGRY MEN, THE MIRACLE WORKER, or REQUIUM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT to their much more polished and authorative film versions. Yes, the films are wonderful to watch, but there's something uniquely thrilling to watching something that's happening live in a studio without the possibility of retakes.

#5 of 12 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 05:26 PM

Whichever version of Fail-Safe it is, that story has lost some sting since the height of the cold war, IMO. I'd rather watch Dr Strangelove anyway.

I am interested in The Hill, though. Haven't seen it since the "CBS Late Movie" days, but remembered it being pretty good. Besides Connery, some good performances from Harry Andrews, Ossie Davis and Alfred Lynch.

#6 of 12 John Blankenship

John Blankenship

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 02:51 PM

I just got the DVD of Fail Safe... it is widescreen, but sadly not anamorphic. I noticed that the back cover did not mention it being 'enhanced for widescreen', but was hoping this was just an oversight. It was not. Why are studios still releasing non-anamorphic transfers in 2007?

#7 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,116 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 31 2007 - 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blankenship
I just got the DVD of Fail Safe... it is widescreen, but sadly not anamorphic. I noticed that the back cover did not mention it being 'enhanced for widescreen', but was hoping this was just an oversight. It was not. Why are studios still releasing non-anamorphic transfers in 2007?
Perhaps because it was a television production from 2000. So I don't even know if it was filmed in a widescreen format?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#8 of 12 John Blankenship

John Blankenship

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted May 31 2007 - 04:47 PM

You might be right, but it's presented in a 1.78:1 ratio on the DVD...

#9 of 12 SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 368 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Perhaps because it was a television production from 2000. So I don't even know if it was filmed in a widescreen format?

I watched it when it was telecast live and I vaguely remember it being broadcast in the letterbox format, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#10 of 12 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 04:04 AM

The DVD is 1.78:1 non-anamorphic. I have no clue why it's not 16X9 enhanced, but the movie is definitely PRESENTED letterboxed...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#11 of 12 Trace Ahlers

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 05:24 AM

Sweeeeet,
I've been waiting for "The Hill" for a long time.
Great movie. Great ending.

#12 of 12 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 05:17 PM

Keep your eye on Ossie Davis in THE HILL. Talk about courage. His performance is dangerous in 1965. Nobody today would even think of doing what he did then. Way out on a limb.

I think it's Sean Connery's best work, too.

Sometimes the simplest stories make the best films

Forum Nav Content I Follow