Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Robin Hood series coming to BBC America and R1 DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 04:28 AM

BBC America has been advertising this a lot, especially during Series 1 re-runs of "Doctor Who". I've been thinking of checking this out, but I'm also thinking of blind buying this when it comes out on DVD after looking at TVShowsOnDVD's news item and what the bonus materials will be included.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6951

Anyone in the UK want to comment about this series? Is it anyone good?

#2 of 13 MattSav

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 04:43 AM

While living in the states, I've still *ahem* managed to view the entire series and I found it very enjoyable. Some of the earlier episodes are hit or miss but the actor who plays the Sheriff is excellent - he really chews up the scenery. If you are a fan of Hercules/Xena, you'll like it.

Any word if this will be out on blu-ray? I know BBC/Warner will be releasing the Planet Earth Docu-seriies simultaneously on blu-ray and DVD in April and I know Robin Hood was shot in HD - it aired on the BBC HD channel. I'd rather buy it in HD if possible.

#3 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Savelkoul
While living in the states, I've still *ahem* managed to view the entire series and I found it very enjoyable. Some of the earlier episodes are hit or miss but the actor who plays the Sheriff is excellent - he really chews up the scenery. If you are a fan of Hercules/Xena, you'll like it.

Any word if this will be out on blu-ray? I know BBC/Warner will be releasing the Planet Earth Docu-seriies simultaneously on blu-ray and DVD in April and I know Robin Hood was shot in HD - it aired on the BBC HD channel. I'd rather buy it in HD if possible.

I'm not a fan of "Hercules" or "Xena", but I've always been, somewhat of a fan of "Robin Hood", and from the previews alone, it looks like it might be good. I'll take that in mind that the earlier episodes are hit or miss, when I see it (either on BBC America or on DVD).

No, I haven't heard if this will be on blu-ray.

#4 of 13 Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 09:58 AM

How would people compare this series to the wonderful Robin of Sherwood from the 80's?

#5 of 13 Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 11:30 AM

I dont know but the fact that Robin of Sherwood is being released in conjunction with the premiere of the BBCAmerica Robin Hood should bring some responses here.

#6 of 13 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 21 2007 - 01:17 PM

There is another, Legend of Robin Hood from the 70's with Paul Darrow(Kerr Avon of Blake's 7) as Sheriff of Nottingham recently released on DVD in the UK and I hear tell of a 1989 comedy series about Maid Marian and her Merry Men, also on DVD in the UK. Perhaps they could see US DVD release too? Hopefully?
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#7 of 13 tjguitar85

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 02:26 PM

When will this air in the US?

#8 of 13 Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 12:11 AM

Does anyone know if the old series from '84, "Robin of Sherwood", was recorded on video or on film? I.e. which version, PAL or NTSC should be better and more correct? I notice the Amazon.com listing says "Original recording remastered" for the R1, but who knows what that means.

#9 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjguitar85
When will this air in the US?

It starts Saturday, March 3rd at 9 pm EST.

#10 of 13 Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Z.
Does anyone know if the old series from '84, "Robin of Sherwood", was recorded on video or on film? I.e. which version, PAL or NTSC should be better and more correct? I notice the Amazon.com listing says "Original recording remastered" for the R1, but who knows what that means.

Pretty sure it was shot on film, but I couldn't swear to it. It certainly looked like film.

I've heard of the Paul Darrow series, but never seen it - was it any good?
"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#11 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 08:06 AM

A Blu-ray release is coming for Season 1 on the same day as Season 2 on DVD. I've read that the R2 Blu-ray release for Season 1 had problems with video compression, which was also an issue with the R1 DVD release. I'll be getting this if it isn't an issue again.

Robin Hood DVD news: Announcement for Robin Hood - Season 2 DVD, Season 1 Blu-ray | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#12 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted June 25 2008 - 03:52 AM

Both upcoming Robin Hood releases have been pushed to August 5th.

Robin Hood DVD news: Date Change for Season 2 DVD and Season 1 Blu-ray | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#13 of 13 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,486 posts

Posted August 03 2008 - 02:02 PM

Are there any reviews yet for the Season 1 Blu-ray release?

Forum Nav Content I Follow