Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

John Wayne, James Stewart 'Screen Legend Collections' from Universal June

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 20 2007 - 05:38 AM

From the DVD Forums:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
James Stewart: Screen Legend Collection the 12th june.
Universal region 1

Next Time We Love
Edward H. Griffith(1936)
You Gotta Stay Happy H.C. Potter(1948)
Thunder Bay Anthony Mann
The Glenn Miller Story Anthony Mann
Shenandoah Andrew V. McLaglen

Thunder Bay is the big come on there, but I note from here that the previously open-matte The Glenn Miller Story will be in anamorphic widescreen.*

And some more re-releases in June's other elease in this line, John Wayne : The Screen Legend Collection but it will be first time in anamorphic widescren in R1 at least for Rooster Cogburn, The War Wagon and The Hellfighters. I don't think they can improve on the current Reap The Wild Wind which is simply gorgeous.

*EDIT - apologies for a 'senior moment'; just realised that it already is anamorphic widescreen. And I own the disc too!
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 07:11 AM

Hopefully THUNDER BAY will be full frame, not widescreen as listed. There is confusion on this title-- it was the film that introduced the 1.85 AR in films as we know it today, but the film is composed full frame. In other words, it was chosen to introduce widescreen, but wasn't a widescreen film. I'm surprised if they do it-- at 1.85, the opening credits are totally clipped.

Glad to hear GLENN MILLER is widescreen, as it should be... stereo track, too, I see.
-J. Theakston

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 07:14 AM

Thunder Bay was originally in three channel stereo

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 07:14 AM

Now lost.
-J. Theakston

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 08:11 AM

Very glad to see Next Time We Love - wish the prewar films were represented a bit better - but hey, I'll buy it.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
From the DVD Forums:

Thunder Bay is the big come on there, but I note from here that the previously open-matte The Glenn Miller Story will be in anamorphic widescreen.

And some more re-releases in June's other elease in this line, John Wayne : The Screen Legend Collection but it will be first time in anamorphic widescren in R1 at least for Rooster Cogburn, The War Wagon and The Hellfighters. I don't think they can improve on the current Reap The Wild Wind which is simply gorgeous.

Good new about getting Thunder Bay out. Shenandoah has been previously released. Is their any theory as to why they aren't releasing the Anthony Mann directed "Strategic Air Command" as part of this collection. Strategic Air Command would be the only Stewart-Mann collaboration that has not been released on DVD.

c Jim Bur

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 09:48 AM

Actually, I'll answer my own question. It appears Paramount has Strategic Air Command, so it would be up to them to release it.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 09:57 AM

Re: The Glenn Miller Story.

I thought the problem with the first Glenn Miller DVD was that it was in widescreen and that it's supposed to be fullscreen! And now here they are putting out the same old transfer? And from what Jack says about Thunder Bay, it's going to have the same problem.

See DVDBeaver's review of The Glenn Miller Story DVD:

http://www.dvdbeaver....ler_story_.htm
PaulaJ

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bur
Actually, I'll answer my own question. It appears Paramount has Strategic Air Command, so it would be up to them to release it.

I thought I was the only one who wanted to see this on DVD!

I do hope that Paramount release this one soon, it may be dated but is still entertaining.
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 21 2007 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJ
Re: The Glenn Miller Story.

I thought the problem with the first Glenn Miller DVD was that it was in widescreen and that it's supposed to be fullscreen! And now here they are putting out the same old transfer? And from what Jack says about Thunder Bay, it's going to have the same problem.

See DVDBeaver's review of The Glenn Miller Story DVD:

http://www.dvdbeaver....ler_story_.htm

Yup; realised my stupid error this morning and edited the first post.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 11:02 AM

The Glenn Miller Story was on TCM the other day. I only watched a few minutes, but I *think* it was shown fullframe there.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 03:37 PM

What is wrong with the previous GLENN MILLER STORY transfer is that whomever did the transfer had it framed too high. You'll notice the card in the opening title is not evenly centered. Had that not occured, the composition would be correct.
-J. Theakston

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Theakston
What is wrong with the previous GLENN MILLER STORY transfer is that whomever did the transfer had it framed too high. You'll notice the card in the opening title is not evenly centered. Had that not occured, the composition would be correct.

What about this from the DVDBeaver review?

"The image is cropped from the OAR of 1.37:1, approx 13% top and 12% bottom, to aprx 1.85:1, in order to allow anamorphic encoding (see comparison between VHS and DVD below). While Universal eventually did mask their films into 1.85:1, only 5 films were released in Widescreen in 1953, and this is not one of them."

If you look at the widescreen DVD/fullscreen VHS comparison shots of that one frame, it doesn't seem like a matter of framing the transfer too high... there is lots of information lost both top and bottom.
PaulaJ

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor

• 854 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 05:01 PM

As informative as DVDBeaver is as a reference of quality, their technical aspects are often wrong. They write things that are based on what they see on video, not in any fact or based on careful study of 35mm material of which the film originates. Note that they state that only five films in '53 from Universal were made for widescreen: untrue-- U's entire Fall and Winter season was ready to be shown 1.85.

You can't judge by a full-frame video master. As has been demonstrated on this forum in the past, because these films are over shot (that is to say, there is more image area on the film than needs to be projected), transfers are often "zoomed in" to protect the image from excess space or boom mics.

However, even on that one sample image, it is quite clear that the shot is blocked out for 1.85, Universal's standard. Notice the odd amount of space above Stewart's head. I recently saw a 35mm print run and framed correctly in a theatrical setting at 1.85, and unlike the DVD, it framed perfectly.

End result: GLENN MILLER STORY was shot during the late summer/early fall of '53, when Universal had already mandated it was going all-WS. Because of a totally unrelated mistake (a careless telecine operator), a website happend to report that the sky was falling and that Universal incorrectly matted a film shot in the Academy ratio.

THUNDER BAY, however, came out in April of '53, as a quick "introduction" to widescreen-- an attempt to catch up with the upcoming slew of technical innovations such as 3-D, stereophonic sound and anamorphic widescreen (and Cinerama, I guess). It was the film that introduced the 1.85 for flat theatrical widescreen, chosen probably because the film is mostly medium and long shots. Similarly, for the next month or two, certain films that were already in the can before the introduction of flat widescreen projection techniques were being advertised as "available for widescreen projection" even though this was not the case. At Universal, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE fell under this unfortunate mistake.

Obviously, however, once the idea was introduced, everyone was careful to make sure the next series of productions conformed to these standards. It wasn't difficult-- new viewfinders took care of the situation. But, there seems to be a feeling amongst armchair historians here and elsewhere that directors and DPs continued to compose for 1.37, despite orders from the head office, a fairly ridiculous idea if you think about it. Most of these films were being made so fast that there was no time to even THINK about defying the producers. On top of that, the studio's own projection rooms obviously would have made these transitions as well, and watching dailies in widescreen should have convinced any renegade film makers otherwise.
-J. Theakston

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 08:18 PM

I was just about to order Rooster Cogburn and The Spoilers! Guess i can wait a few more months.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,652 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 05:58 AM

THE GLENN MILLER STORY is most certainly filmed for 1.85 presentation. I have seen it presented theatrically in that ratio (properly framed) and it looked fine.

I have run an original 35mm print of THUNDER BAY in both 1.37 and 1.85, and it is composed for 1.37 presentation. The original 3 track stereophonic sound is lost.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 12 2007 - 07:02 PM

Over at Universal's website they are giving specs for The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn as Anamorphic widescreen. If this is true that would mean they have been remastered. However they cite the AR of Rooster to be 1.85:1. I hope that's a misprint!

Anybody else a little miffed of the inclusion of titles that are already available? I wouldn't mind so much if the new titles were made available separately as well, day and date with the sets. In order to get Thunder Bay, I will now have duplicate copies of Glenn Miller Story and Shenandoah. And damn it wouldn't you know I just picked up The Spoilers a couple of months ago!

On the other hand, these sets are so affordable that you would probably spend less on the whole set than you would for the individual new titles.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 03:54 AM

I got the John Wayne Screen Legends this past weekend. "The War Wagon" was one of the worst looking DVD's back in the early days of the format. It was non-Anamorphic and the print was dirty. I watched the remaster from this collection and was truly impressed. Universal did a bang up job with it. It is finally Anamorphic and the print is clean. I viewed it on my Toshiba HD DVD player and was impressed with how great it looked. The other titles I did not watch but did check out how they looked. Rooster Cogburn also looked great.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 05:22 AM

Universal is really doing a great job with their color films (Pirates of the Golden Age, Classic Western Round-Ups etc.), very impressive from my totally non-expert point of view. Posted Image Looking forward to the Stewart set that I pre-ordered.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted June 13 2007 - 12:23 AM

"Rooster Cogburn" and "The War Wagon" are both 2.35:1 and 16:9 enhanced, as is "Hellfighters". The only flipper is the third disc with "Hellfighters" and "Rooster Cogburn". It is a DVD-10. While this may not give you the optimum bitrate for these two hour films, it should not be subject to the manufacturing and player compatability issues that some Universal flippers from past years have experienced.

As for the Stewart set. Lost or not, the audio on "Thunder Bay" is DD 3.0. It's a little hissy in spots, but I'm pretty sure I heard discrete stereo effects including directional dialog throughout the first 20 minutes (all I watched). On the video end, the print used for transfer looks a little faded and grainy, and I really wish Universal had released it in 4:3. The credits are windowboxed to around 1.66:1, but everything except for that is matted to fill the full 16:9 frame.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow