Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: REIGN OF FIRE - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 02:56 PM

http://static.hometh...overs_80428.jpg">

Studio: Disney
Year: 2002
Rated: PG-13
Film Length: 101 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 High Definition 1080p
Disc Type: BD-25 Single Layer
Codec: AVC
Audio: Uncompressed 5.1 PCM (48kHz, 16-Bit), English, Spanish & French 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish & French

Release Date: February 13, 2007

The Movie:
(***/*****) 3/5

Reign of Fire is a pretty strange movie. Anytime you can combine post-apocalyptic Earth with Dragons, you are in pretty original, albeit bizarre, territory. With that being said, I’m generally a sucker for these kinds of films - - original ones, that is. I saw Reign of Fire in the theater upon its original release in 2002 and wasn’t that impressed. How would the second viewing stack up?

When a young Quinn (Christian Bale) stumbles upon a dragon’s nest in central London, he is the first witness to the devastation that will accompany these dragons as they make their return from underground and wreak havoc on the stunned populace of Earth. As we flash forward a good number of years, we are shown a mostly destroyed Earth where the human element barely hangs on for survival. Quinn is amongst these survivors. When Van Zan (Matthew McConaughey) arrives on the scene with a tough bunch of American dragon slayers, Quinn and his party of rag-tag survivors will finally stand up and rebel against their draconian oppressors.

While Reign of Fire definitely gains some points for a very original plot, much of the movie didn’t really work for me. I appreciate a good concept as much as the next guy, but when it is barely strung together by a series of over the top action sequences I do start to lose interest. With that said, the action sequences are, for the most part, really quite entertaining and the dragon effects are very nicely done. I would have liked to care a bit more about the characters, but there really isn’t much character development to work with. All the performances are sold, the direction is nicely handled and the sets and effects are all very effective. What’s left is a pretty standard movie that really could have been much more interesting. It does qualify as nice eye-candy though!

The Video:
(*****/*****) 5/5

Disney is really getting consistent with their Blu-Ray releases. This is, yet again, a flawless transfer done up to perfection with the AVC codec. I found detail to be outstanding with a special emphasis on facial detail and the rocky, mountainous backdrops that are present for most of the film. This can be a pretty drab film from a color perspective, but when dragon-fire shows up on-screen, the reds and oranges pop very nicely. Shadow detail is superb and black levels are consistently excellent. Really, the best thing I can say about this particular transfer is that it is extremely consistent. There isn’t a weak scene in the entire movie and the picture quality is exceptional throughout. Kudos, again, have to go to Disney for their exceptional commitment to providing us all with excellent quality transfers. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

The Audio:
(*****/*****) 5/5

PCM audio? You bet. Flawless sound with an amazing sense of depth and warmth? Absolutely. Fantastically active surround channels and perfectly accurate dialogue that never is unintelligible or an any way difficult to discern? Check!

Disney does it again. Reference audio and video - - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

The Supplements:
(***/*****) 3/5

Here’s what’s included:
-“Breathing Life into the Terror”
-“If You Can’t Take the Heat”
-Audio Commentary with Director Rob Bowman
-Original Theatrical Trailer

While not presenting the most comprehensive set of extras I’ve ever seen, Reign of Fire
does include all of the original DVD supplements along with a nice 1080p HD trailer for the film. I’m glad to see that they did include the trailer. I for one really enjoy theatrical trailers and consider them to be the only supplement that is absolutely essential for any film release. Both documentaries are standard behind the scenes material mixed in with your basic electronic press kit material. Nothing really essential, but if you are a fan of the film, I’m sure you’ll find both docs interesting. Rob Bowman’s commentary track is a little on the dry side. We are treated to a mainly technical discussion regarding Reign of Fire without much real insight into story or where changes might have been made to make the film a bit more compelling.

The Final Analysis:
(****/*****) 4/5

Reign of Fire is an entertaining film with a few key weaknesses that keep it from being a must see. Even so, it is fun and, at times, thought-provoking. It should prove to be entertaining to fantasy and sci-fi fans, in general. Picture and audio quality, on the other hand, is nothing short of phenomenal. Disney scores again!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Equipment used for this review:
Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray Player
Panasonic PT-AE1000 Front Projector
Carada 93” diagonal 16x9 Criterion Series/Brilliant White Screen – www.carada.com
Rotel RSX-1056 Surround Receiver
Rotel RB-1080 Amplifier
B&W Speakers
M&K MX-125 Subwoofer
Interconnects: www.catcables.com

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 08:25 PM

thanx Ben for review Posted Image

already ordered and on the way Posted Image

Marek

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 03:21 AM

Is this transfer completely EE free or not?

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 04:51 AM

I wouldn't have given it 5 stars if edge enancement had been present. So, no, there isn't any edge enhancement on Reign of Fire.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 12:53 PM

Great to hear about RoF's transfer (of course, if Disney switched to DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD then all their discs could be 24 bit). The film had a lot of potential, but sadly fell short IMHO. And the ease to which they slaughtered the biggest, baddest, oldest dragon was pretty much a let down. I'll pass. Did you catch that they modeled the CGI dragons on Vermithrax Pejorative (the dragon's full name) from Disney/Paramount's classic DragonSlayer? Dan

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 05:32 PM

I did catch that... good move on their part as I still think that Vermithrax (I didn't know that was the dragon's name, actually...) is the best looking dragon ever put on screen...Whenever Dragonslayer comes on VOOM, I'm there. It is now permanently stored on my DVR. Great stuff!

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 01:25 PM

Nuts. I'm pretty lukewarm on this flic but your review is making me want to pick it up anyway. I'm turning into a Hi-Def/Blu-Ray junkie. Posted Image

Nice to hear Disney raising the bar with these releases. Can't wait to see how Pirates 1 & 2 turn out.
Death before Streaming!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 10:45 AM

just watched this on a 120" FP screen. yes there IS edge enhancement. quite a lot of it as well. sometimes not too bad, sometimes bad (particularly for HD). maybe this was an old master. i still liked the look of most of this film, but the amount of ee gets a bit annoying after a while - nearly always confined to exterior shots. there isn't anything in my chain introducing this ringing as i have many other HD discs than don't have ee.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Ben_Williams

Ben_Williams

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 10:53 AM

What BD player are you using? On my 93" screen, there wasn't any noticeable EE. Strange!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 11:09 AM

using the PS3, over HDMI, 120". only a 720 PJ, but using other titles as a frame of reference that don't have ee (so i know that my setup can produce an ee free experience), i can only say what i'm seeing. it most definitely is the type of ringing associated with ee. the DVD suffered from EE, and although it's a lot better on HD, it's still disappointing to see. i would imagine they've used an older master for this one. thanks disney. the only thing that makes this tolerable for me is that those scenes without ee (and those with very minor amounts) still look very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users