What's new

Almost done with Star Trek Voyager (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never saw this when it was run, but I bought the series as part of my collection of the franchise. I have throughly enjoyed it I'm on season 7 now. I especially enjoyed the episodes with recreations of historic events on the Hollow Deck. The ones with Q and the continuam fighting the civil War. As well, the ones with the Herogens overtaking the ship and recreating World war 2 and the fall of Germany with the voyager crew

seven of nine is cute too *LOL*

I'll be starting Enterprise soon

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I enjoyed this series as well. Unfortunatly, I am sure this thread will now be filled up with comments from all the folks who hated it. :frowning:

It seems one can't mention anything good about Voyager without suffering the wrath of those who hate it. LOL

Here is the order of best to worst of the Star Trek Franchise for me:

1. Deep Space Nine
2. Voyager
3. Enterprise
4. Next Generation
5. TOS

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
TOS Worst? Seriously?

My order would be:
DS9
TNG
TOS
VOY
ENT

with ENT way down there, and DS9 on top by a ton. Though I didnt really watch DS9 until Worf came.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will reserve judgement on Enterprise until I see it

However, I seem to remember DS 9 and TNG overlapping each other as in the first ep of DS 9 Picard was giving Cisco the once over. The same thing happened with Voyager and DS 9 as thats where Voyager was docked before it got thrown into the Delta quadrant

Enterprise is different because it is based in the 22nd century before Kirk and company. The Vulcans having their barbaric period. Why the hate?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I liked it until the fourth season, which is the opposite of the standard reaction. I think people gave it more respect than was due because of the relegation of the hated B&B to background. I realize them's fightin' words, but I thought much of it was just terrible and pandering. "Ooh, we know about the Gorn! Aren't we smart?" And when they ripped off Kara Thrace for Hoshi's background, it was really sad.

As for Voyager, it is a shame that you can't even have a Voyager appreciation thread without people spoiling it. Same thing with the Star Wars prequels, really. Those threads always devolve to "why I hate it/why I like it."

I don't own Voyager, but I enjoyed it enough that I watched it twice all the way through in syndication. I'll wait to see how Star Trek gets handled on HD-DVD before buying it at this point.

I'm not interested in ranking anything, but I do like DS9 the best.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Oh don't get me wrong, I watched Voyager every week on UPN, for the most part, and caught the rest in syndication over the years, ENT just didn't do anything for me. I saw the pilot and was let down.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Nice to see a few Niners posting here.

It seems to me that DS9's divergence from the formula gave the Trek powers that be the jitters, so they decided to go backward with Voyager; the all-nostalgia-all-the-time direction (if it can truly be called a direction) of Enterprise was the inevitable outcome of this mindset, and the proposed 10th movie sounds like more of the same. Ho hum.

The episodes of Voyager I've seen are overwrought and way too familiar, so I'll skip the DVD sets.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
John,

I too like Voyager so you are not in the minority and would rank them as DS9, Voyager, STTNG, Enterprise, TOS.

You'll have to stick it out with Enterprise because IMHO the 1st season was AWFUL. There were a few good eps but most were painful to watch. By the 2nd season they got rolling and the 3rd season was great. 4th was good as well until the last episode. Overall it was a good show and it would have been nice to see one more season to give it a better wrap up/send off but in the beginning it was really hard to watch (for me at least).

Enjoy.

Greg

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
My wife is really wanting to pick up the Voyager sets, but I think we'll wait until they get around to dropping the prices. It's not my favorite series (DS9 would take that spot by a landslide), but we enjoy it.

Anyway, I agree that it's nice to have a thread that, so far, can appreciate the show for what it is.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Agreed on the Voyager prices...wish Paramount would get around to discounting those already and seriously...I've got to believe that all the diehard Trekkies who wanted those sets have purchased them at the ridiculous list prices by now...get on with it Paramount, also wish they'd take the same care with their other TV DVD properties that they did with their franchise Star Trek, tho I don't have any huge complaints with their Hogan's Heroes and JAG sets, thus far.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, I've always stated that Voyager provided decent enough entertainment for the casual Star Trek fan.

The main problem with the series was that, at least for the first six seasons, the quality of the shows was wildly inconsistent. In a typical 26 episode season there would usually be 4 or 5 episodes that would be as good as anything done in the Trek universe. Unfortunately, there would also be 7 or 8 below average episodes, some of which would stray into TNG "Shades of Gray" territory. The balance of the episodes could be considered average or just barely above average. And, after the fantastic character development that was portrayed in DS9, the character development - or lack thereof - depicted in Voyager seemed glacial by comparison. (Just for the record, I thought Season 7 was fairly well done, even in spite of "End Game" -- which wasn't quite as good as it should have been.)

The nice thing about viewing Voyager on DVD is that the truly awful eps can just be skipped over. However, this dilutes the entertainment dollar/episode ratio of the sets, which is the main reason that Paramount needs to find a more reasonable price point for the DVDs.

And, if anybody cares, here's my ranking of the Trek series-to-date:
1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. VOYAGER
5. ENTERPRISE
6. TAS (The Animated Series)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have not gotten to End Game yet is it a 2 part finale? or a 2 hour Ep??

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

It's a two hour episode and is visually spectacular. (Close to "movie quality" CGI effects). It's actually not bad at all; it's just that it could (IMO) have been a little better. If I say much more I'll spoil it for you.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I found Voyager generally "okay." The biggest problem with the show is that it was formulaic. It always played things safe, and took three or four years to see any character development - and then it was all about Seven and the Doctor...

As one who grew up watching TOS, seeing that series at the bottom of several lists is disconcerting...

Enterprise was showing a lot of promise in seasons 3 & 4 - but it was too little, too late... Too bad, since DS9 took a couple of seasons to gain footing, and it turned out to be a gem.

For me, the series are rated as follows:
DS9
TOS
TNG
Voyager
Enterprise

TAS is hard to rate with the others... Some very good stories among mediocrity - and the notably bad animation...

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Endgame could indeed have been better. It would have been nice to see what the crew went on to do after Voyager. Who got promoted and went to what assignment and so on

Blu

Screenwriter
It would be great if Paramount had a Voyager price drop soon for their titles. I've posted this complaint before about Voyager and just don't want to spend the bucks for all of the sets yet.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'd love to see a price drop! I'm not a trek fan, but I grew up with the original Star Trek, so I was willing to shell out the bucks to buy the three seasons (just like I had with Image's fantastic Twilight Zone sets). As for the contemporary Treks, I'm not willing to spend over $100 CAD for DVD sets--Paramount should follow Fox's example of reducing the X Files sets to a reasonable price. If the sets were discounted, I'd likely look at Deep Space Nine, Voyager and the others.

If I rated the Trek shows:

Star Trek
Deep Space Nine
Enterprise
Next Generation
Voyager

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

That was my reaction as well. A lot of the time it was just "hey, some new Trek, cool...better than anything else on right now", but truly impressive episodes didn't come along as often as one would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks