What's new

What Does XM/Sirius Merger Mean for Opie and Anthony? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
For fans of O&A on XM this merger does not look like good news. Right off the bat O&A and Mel Karmazin hate each other. And also they would be under the same company as Stern who would once again have the power to have Karmazin put them back under a Stern gag order. And that is if (which may be unlikely) O&A will be part of the new company. This will very likely shake the dual terrestrial/satellite deal they have while under XM. Karmazin has said in the past that he believes in exclusivity. So they may either have to give up terrestrial or, they will be bought out by CBS and will have to settle for doing a show only on censored radio.

Thoughts?

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
If I had to guess, I'd be saying this is exactly why they have been doing the CBS show. And I say that is where they should be. It bothered me to know my paid XM subscription as being "censored" in how they did their show because of the dual broadcast. So if they want FM, they can stay there.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

If the terrestrial radio climate was like it was back in their WNEW days, I would agree that it wouldn't be that bad. But terrestrial radio (or at least CBS) is now so oppressive with their standards. O&A are becoming more frustrated every day, I'd hate to see them not have at least a couple of uncensored hours to work with. Not that I don't think they are funny even on terrestrial, but I think not having the freedom of satellite would make them extremely unhappy and that would take its toll on the show.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I've said this tons of places but stand by it: CBS will in no way allow O&A to stay with XM. They have an option to buy out their contract, and I expect they will do it. They will do it because not doing so is allowing one of their largest value properties to promote a much larger competitor with a growing advertising base - an advertising base of 13M+ listeners is significant. CBS won't let that happen.

I half expect CBS is already in talks to buy up their contract at this moment.

Blu

Screenwriter
I'd like to see O&A stay on somehow. I have tried to listen to Stern but just can't find him at all interesting.

When I was a dual subscriber I enjoyed O&A a lot though.

Brent T

Second Unit

I believe you are correct Chris. I would be shocked if OnA are allowed to stick with the new Sirius come 2008. I cant imagine how letting them stay would benefit CBS Radio at all.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I semi expect CBS to make a move to buy out their contract this summer, so they can try to put a big break between them and the new merged company, and so O&A aren't promoting a company that's in the middle of a merge, and their competitor.

Brent T

Second Unit
It would be the smart thing to do. I would love if OnA were allowed to stick with Sirius/XM (even though I am not a fan of theirs), just to thumb our noses at free radio:)

Brent T

Second Unit
They aren't doing so well in Chi-Town or Vegas either. However I cant blame them, I mean with whats going on with "Free FM" its a wonder that these type of shows can get any ratings. They are just watered down versions of what they were 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks