Photo
- - - - -

Canon S2 IS busted after left in the cold?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 04:24 AM

I left my Canon S2 IS in a glove compartment for about 6 to 8 hours one day. I had brought the camera with me that day but did not use it and I forgot it in the glove compartment. When I remembered, I went out to the car, took the camera inside, removed the batteries, opened up the SD card slot and raised the flash. I left it in our furnace room for quite a few hours to warm up and hopefully dry out if there was any condensation. Our house is extremely dry.

When I went to use the camera yesterday, another cold day, I took it outside and shortly after I was outside I fired it up and I couldn't see anything in the viewfinder. I took a few photo's and a video and sure enough, they are all totally and completely pitch black. I am not sure what could be wrong. I wonder if it's the shutter or the CCD. There were no photo's on the card at the time, so I couldn't "play" them back to see if the LCD viewfinder and/or screen work ok to play back pics from a card. I have taken the batteries out again, including the tiny cr1220, I opened up all of the orifices and have it hanging in the furnace room where it is warm and dry.

Any clues? My S2 IS is, of course, just about 13 months old.. :P
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#2 of 12 Holadem

Holadem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 05:38 AM

Sorry, can't help you, but I left my 710IS in the glove compartment all night 3days ago as well - temp was in the (low?) 20s. Also that morning, I had to use it for several minutes outside in similar conditions. I have been too busy to try it out since but this thread isn't feeling me with confidence Posted Image. I have no idea how long Canon's warranty is, but I am right at the edge of 90 days as I bought the camera right after thanksgiving I think, so I may still have a safety net.

According to the Canon website, the operating temp range for both cameras is 32-104°F/0-40°C. I realize this info is of little use to you at this point, but it may help someone else...

--
H

#3 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 06:58 AM

Interesting that it's not to be used below zero. I had no idea. Of course, I should read my owners manual.

#4 of 12 Holadem

Holadem

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 07:07 AM

I didn't know that either. I do know my camera has been beyond both sides of the operating range since I got it.

--
H

#5 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 01:35 AM

Well, I have left my S2 in the furnace room for a couple of days now with all of the doors and latches wide open. The furnace room get's up to a nice warm temperature, nothing radically hot, and our house is dry as a bone which is evident in my cracked skin. Hoping this helps. If not I guess I have to email or contact Canon somehow and cry.

#6 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 07:14 AM

Still doesn't work. Looks like it's busted.

#7 of 12 Mary M S

Mary M S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 12:51 PM

Chris,
I have no help for determining what component in the camera was damaged, but just a tip for when you get it working again.

A good habit is to place a camera which has been out in the cold long enough for the body to cool down in a plastic bag when bringing it into a heated area. I stick mine in a bag leaving the end of the bag open.

I've done this for years if the camera was left in a cold car, or while out doing winter sports. A gallon baggie was part of my old 35SLR kit bag, I have many times seen the condensation which will form on the inside surfaces of the baggie (sparing the guts) as the camera warms to room temp.

This saves the mechanicals (and lens) from repeated fogging and drying cycles, which could feasibly dirty the sealed section of your lens from dried droplets, flash rust internal parts or ? possible short a digital chip if you power it up while the internals are damp.

Often I have better luck with the pricing at a trusted local camera-repair shop than trying to deal with the OEM.

Hope you get it storted soon!
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#8 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 02:53 PM

Not sure I understand how the baggy gets the condensation and not the camera, but anyhow. Thanks for the advice. Too bad my camera is facked now. I guess I have to take it somewhere to find out if it's garbage or not.

#9 of 12 JohnRice

JohnRice

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,364 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 05:43 PM

I'm not sure taking it in the furnace room was a good idea. I would have let it warm up more slowly.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#10 of 12 Mary M S

Mary M S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 11:39 AM

Quote:
Not sure I understand how the baggy gets the condensation and not the camera,

Slowing the warmup? Providing the condensation with a path of least resistance ideal surface to coalesce upon rather than the interior of the camera? I have no idea and would be only guessing.

An acquaintance who saw me using my camera outdoors many hours during the winter at an airport, gave me the tip. He was a pro making his living via print ads of merchandise for places like Bloomingdale's so I took the advice and starting living by it.

I have since seen "the plastic bag' mentioned in trade photography articles. Seems to always work for me I have had my rig out in extreme cold many times and never lost function from warmup.

Maybe, its simply my 'luck' since I have a son who has developed a routine for drying his cell phones which he manages to periodically drop into water. He has never lost one to H2O yet. A feat which no-one else I know seems to accomplish. Posted Image
You've been dreaming. Dreaming of Sea Captain who haunted this house.

#11 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 02:14 PM

I think I get it. The bag cools and it's large surface area gets most of the moisture rather than the camera.

#12 of 12 Chris PC

Chris PC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 04:01 PM

UPDATE

This may save my cajones:

Quote:
As per Canon Canada Inc. FAQ Site, on Enquiry of Important Notice About Your Canon Product: CCD Image Sensor:

This Service Notice will update Canon Canada Inc.’s previous CCD Image Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Notice of Additional Affected Products:
As a result of our continuing investigation of this malfunction, we have determined that the 11 models listed below, in addition to the 16 models listed in our Service Notice concerning this malfunction, dated October 6, 2005, may be affected.

Affected products:

- Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC, ELURA 50
- Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*), A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*), S410(*), S500(*)

*Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

Malfunction:
It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also appears on the recorded image.

Canon's Response:
Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor.

Canadian residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Information Centre for further assistance at 1-800-OK CANON. Support hours are Monday thru Friday - 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM (EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is preferred, please send your email using the Contact Us tab above.

This information is for residents of Canada only. If you do not reside in Canada, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support and patronage of Canon products.

Although my Canon S2 IS is not listed, it's worth a try Posted Image

EDIT ... a little research and I see plenty of S2 IS owners are having this exact same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow