What's new

GameCube and 1080i. (1 Viewer)

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Over at Nintendojo there is a little tid bit about GCN and HTDV, thought this might add some more fuel to the fire:
In an article by Steven Kent in the September 2001 issue of
Popular Science, a very significant revelation is made: NGC will
deliver built-in support for a full 1080i HDTV signal.
Kent writes on page 34, in part:
"Luckily for all couch potato world-savers, video game resolution
is about to get kicked up a notch. Conventional games are
delivered in 640 by 480 lines of resolution, but Star Wars:
Rogue Leader-Rogue Squadron 2 for Nintendo's new
GameCube delivers the action in 1,920 by 1,080 lines of
resolution. That's equivalent to HDTV.
"Of course the three next-generation consoles -- GameCube,
Microsoft Xbox, and Sony PlayStation 2 -- Nintendo's is the
only one that supports high-resolution games right out of the
box. Xbox customers will be able to purchase an upgrade, but
there are no plans yet for higher-resolution Xbox games. And
PlayStation 2 has no high-resolution plans, period.
"Frankly, even Nintendo is hedging. The company hasn't
announced any high-resolution games of its own."
Well, it's good to know that I will be able to enjoy Rogue leader in 1080i on my Toshiba HDTV.
http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/index.php#997402846
Corey

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh how I hate all of your with your HDTVs. :) Doesn't even exist here and probably never will. Be interesting to see if Nintendo keep the Progessive Scan output option on the UK model come Spring 2002.
Dan (UK)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Corey, I have a question you may or may not be able to answer...
I too have a Toshiba HDTV. The only problem is that there are only two HD inputs. I already have my DVD in one and my satellite to another. Is there anything else I can do to have an HD display of the Game Cube? Im guessing that I must replace my DVD player with the Game Cube or switch the cable when I play, right?

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that is one thing that does suck. All my inputs are full as well. So either you can do the switch-o-roo when you want to play/watch tv or maybe someone will bring out a component video switcher.
Corey

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That info is contradictory to what has been said thus far. Gamecube is only supposed to be able to do 480p and Xbox is the console that has announced support up to 1080i.
Popular "Science" either has info that the whole of video game journalists missed or they've got their facts screwed up.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have it on good authority the report's wrong, and it's 480p. My source could be wrong though
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Gary King

Second Unit
Steven Kent has been known to confuse, misreport, or downright ignore technical facts in other articles.
He's an interesting read, but for technical issues, I'd put more faith in IGN's bumbling boobs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I guess we will find out if the information is true or false at Spaceworld and at the launch. Nintendo hasn't released all of the specs yet, so it may very well have 1080i. If it does, then I might have to put the GCN in the theater instead of the X-Box....hehe.....

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Also, there has been a high definition expansion pack shown for the PS2. No announcements though...

------------------
- Dave

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=bickle

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What, exactly, would a "high definition expansion pack" be? I would think all that's necessary is component video out and the hardware necessary to do it (without significant loss of graphical features -no one wants to see flat shaded polygons, even if they're at 1080i).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard about this expansion pack. In fact, I read that the PS2 has no plans at all for High Definition. I could see them doing it though, its Sony afterall.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
As far as I have been able to find, Both Sony and Nintendo are sticking to 480P as their max. It will be interesting to see what happens closer to crunch time. Sure love to see HD on all of the them thats for sure.
Dean

Gary King

Second Unit
The PS2 linux kit runs at 1280x1024. I doubt we'll see too many games running above 480i (let alone 480p) on PS2, though.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
IGN just also posted an article stating that that one about 1080i is not correct. I think they also had quotes from the guys doing Rogue Leader saying it isn't true also.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

Ryan_L_M

Auditioning
The is a big difference between how they both do HDTV.
The Xbox actually renders at a high res. I know some developers working on Xbox games. It renders at 720p in HD mode. The conextion (or what ever that company name is ) Chip will convert the signal up or down to what ever you tv can produce. So, if you have an 720 capable TV - thats what it will do. It will also change it to 1080i, or 540 p or 480p depending on what you tell it to.
I have read that the GC can only do 480p and that is simply up converts from there. Which makes sense, I cant see the GC hardware pushing a higher resolution. (Its frame buffer simply can NOT do it, its just technically NOT large enough :)
The Xbox is deffenatly the HomeTheater gaming machine. It supports DD5.1, and true HD quality.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well, it seems Nintendojo has made it official that the story was wrong.
1080i what? GC Resolution Clarified
It seems Steven Kent may have made a boo-boo. If you saw the story run on Nintendojo or the Popular Science feature itself where Kent wrote that the GameCube launch title Rogue Leader, "delivers the action in 1,920 by 1,080 lines of resolution," you may want to sit down. This has turned out to be false. In what came as a less-than-startling revelation (amidst speculation that the fill rate for that high a resolution would bring the 6" behemoth to its knees) it has been reaffirmed that the GameCube offers two resolution modes and two only: 480i and 480p.
IGNCube got a chance to ask Julian Eggebrecht, Factor 5's president, about the truth of the matter:
"Rogue Leader can run in two modes. The default mode is a 640x480 interlaced mode for regular TVs. You can switch over to progressive scan in the options menu to 480p, which you need an HDTV for. I don't think it makes any sense for this generation of machines to use 1080i because the fill rate would be so enormous that games wouldn't run at a decent framerate."
What does that mean? Well, it means that your GameCube is still going to look just as great on your normal television set as it would have yesterday. It also means that when hooked up to a digital television, you can still view all the GameCube magic in 640 x 480 resolution with progressive scan (which displays each frame all at once, not splitting up the image like normal interlaced video does). Don't worry about it, the game will still look beautiful at the end of the day.
Link Removed Link Removed
Now I know Steven Kent is not a guy to listen to when it comes to tech specs.

Andre F

Screenwriter
My question is this, who cares about resolution if the games suck? I know I'm negative about this topic but I want the games. I've been sitting with my PS2 (reasonably powerful) and I have seen the quality of games that I would like. Oh well just my opinion of course.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I personally don't care about the resolutions of games. From what I have heard, ICO on PS2 looks amazing without running in High Def or even with S-Video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks