What's new

why would i rebuy THE 3RD MAN? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Criterion just announced a new 2-disc set of THE THIRD MAN. Why would I rebuy this? Is the current one "bad"?

I can see YOJIMBO, since the first release was the very definition of subpar. But... THE THIRD MAN?

Help me! These discs are expensive!

MC

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
An updated and expanded release in no way implies that the earlier release is "bad." The new edition will undoubtedly feature an improved transfer, not to mention the additional of several new supplements. The existing DVD is quite good, but I have no doubt that the new release will be spectacular. It's one of my favorite films, so I'll be first in line to buy it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For the extras on the second disc I suppose. But since I'm more a movie kind of guy rather than an extras kind of guy, I'll pass.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The original disc was state of the art for its day, but it could use a little bit of a cleanup. I'll be repurchasing this one, one of my top three movies.

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
You'd be crazy to repurchase this. Let's see, they're adding a commentary and a documentary. Just rent the new release for those extras. As for the new transfer, c'mon, it's not going to be that much better. I'd wait for the HD version if you've got the original (like I do). The PQ is not THAT bad, and considering this is still a DVD redo rather than HD, I'm going to hold off. No doubt about that.

You're telling me there weren't any other movies for Criterion to release? How about Odd Man Out, for crying out loud.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm crazy because I want to repurchase a dvd that's almost eight years old with a new release and transfer with additional bonus material? We're not talking about some mediocre title, but one of the best film noirs ever made.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait until it comes out, and read reviews about the improved PQ. If it's significant, I'll upgrade. If not, I won't.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The 1998/99 transfer could use some updating, EE is noticeable and the digital clean-up they used was good for the time but could definitely be done better today.....as others have mentioned, I will wait and see what the verdict is on this new release and then I will decide.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
The Third Man isn't just any movie - at least not to me. Since it's probably in the top five or so of my favourites, I might consider to rebuy.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't understand all of the complaints about this. This is far from being a top favorite of mine, but I'm seriously considering a double-dip for the documentary alone. Rarely does a film get released with a quality 90 minute documentary.

Count me as crazy too!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm a huge Welles fan, and a Carol Reed fan and love The Third Man. However, I, too will wait to see the reviews. I already made a decent DVD-R of the Shadowing The Third Man documentary (which was only so-so IMHO) when TCM showed it. If I pick it up, it will be for imporved video quality of the film. Spreading the features on to a second disc will help the bitrate on the movie portion.

I doubt they will have fixed the EE problems. No matter what reviews say, the people who restore films cannot seem to leave the EE alone.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
I have the UK edition which features that same documentary and believe me it's not that good.
I'm one of those guys who buys an special edition only to get a new making of doc. With shadowing the third man I was so disappointed. Its kind of arty-pretentious, slow-boring and confusing. The fact that it is 90 mins long only adds to the torture. Yes it features some of the crew who are still with us, but the director is so bad he ruins the whole experience for me.
If I'm plannig a doble dip (third dip, as the matter of fact) is to hear the commentary track but I don't wanna make the same mistake again. Does anyone know that film scholar?

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm for sure is getting this release, just look what Criterion did with the re-release of Seven Samurai.

Cheers
Maggi

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Renting first is a definite. Don't get me wrong, this is one of my top ten greatest film loves. So, I'll have to see what happens, I guess.

I just stocked up on Ramen noodles at Sam's Club, so I guess I could go without real food for a while to afford these re-issues.

MC

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

You may be right!
I may be crazy.......but it just may be a lunatic Criterion's looking foooor!
;)

As was mentioned, looking at what Criterion was able to do with their re-release of Seven Samurai I have good expectations for what they can do with this wonderful film....but there are, of course, always exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks