What's new

HDMi (dvd player) to reciever advice needed (1 Viewer)

gvw

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
Hi,
I'm fairly "new" to the world of home theater and need some help. I have a HDMI dvd player connected to my LCD HD tv but want to purchase a home surround system, more than likely a Home Theater in a Box setup.

My question is: do I need to connect my HDMI dvd player to the receiver to get the benefit of the surround setup or can I keep the dvd player connected straight to my tv, but will I loose the benefit of adding a surround system, I want to keep the better clarity of using my HDMI. The reason why I ask is that most of the Home Theater in a Box receivers don't have a HDMI connection for my dvd player. The unit I like is the "Onkyo HT-S790" and is reasonably priced around $425 @ most places.

Or will I have to go to purchasing individual components to get what I want?

I'm a newbie, so be kind, lol.

Thanks,
Glen

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You will have to go to an A/V receiver to get the surround. You can still go straight to the tv with the HDMI cable, for video. Then use the digital audio output (digital coax or optical) on the dvd player, to the receiver, for the surround sound.
Good luck!

gvw

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
Ed Moxley,
here's a pic of the back of my dvd player, sounds like it should work out then by keeping my HDMI connection from my dvd player to the tv and then using a digital coax to the surround sound receiver. Thanks for the help.

pic of the receiver I want to use, it shows a digital in coaxial

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

Yes..........that should work. If the digital coax input, on back of receiver, is already assigned to dvd, you'll be good to go. But if an optical input is factory assigned to dvd, you'll need to assign the digital coax to the dvd. The owner's manual, for the receiver, will explain how to do it.
Good luck, and enjoy! :)

gvw

Auditioning
Real Name
Glen
Ed,
Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. Looks like I'm ready to go :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
"DVD" isn't written next to any of the digital inputs, so you'll have to assign the digital coax input, to the dvd player. Not hard to do. You may figure it out, just looking through the menus, so you may not even need the manual...... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks