Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bridge To Terabithia - Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 05:36 AM

I lucked out and got the chance to see this early over the weekend - it's really a very touching film. (I cried.) For book fans, it's very close to the story, and the fantasy elements are used sparingly, and are usually tied to something that's connectable to the kid's real life experiences (one of the creatures looks like a fellow student for example). The friendship between Jess and Leslie is very realistic, and I thought they did a good job of illustrating how their friendship is good for each of them, and how their imaginations, and the refuge of Terabithia have made them grow as people. And the casting of the girl who plays Leslie is perfect.

It's a pretty rare feat - a kids movie that doesn't pander to a perceived "kid's audience" but this does it, and it can actually be enjoyed by kids and parents both. If you liked the book, you'll enjoy the movie.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,328 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 16 2007 - 03:42 PM

Bridge to Terabithia is a marvelous movie.

I will try to review it later. Suffice to say it captures the heart of the book, and generally succeeds in translating from the language of 1970's written word to that of 2000's cinema. In all cases, I thought it was sincere, heartfelt and bringing to life Paterson's characters. I felt almost as strongly about these cinematic characters as I do those from the book.

If you're a fan of the book, go see the movie. If you want a good drama, see the movie.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 17 2007 - 02:07 PM

This was a really nicely done film about childhood friendships, and the power of children's imaginations to ward off the inherent brunt of childhood bullies and find a place to explore their own creativity and self-expression.

Annasophia Robb (Leslie) is really endearing in this film, and Josh Hutcherson (Jess) also pulls his own weight, unexpectedly because I haven't thought much of his performance in previous films, but I know Annasophia would be great from her earlier role in "Because of Winn-Dixie).

The direction is restrained, but in a good way as it never calls attention to itself, and just lets the characters drive the story. The script is tight and never lags. There's this sense of wonder and innocence embedded in the story's foundation, it's a worthwhile re-visit to such a time in one's life.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 5 ONLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,685 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 05:32 PM

Saw this tonight. I agree with Patrick's review....

It's certainly slow at the beginning. Anyone thinking of getting Potter or Narnia type action will be disappointed. The pacing of the film is one of it's assets too.

The lead actors were fabulous. I expected to be somewhat awed by the character of Leslie (Annasophia Robb), but the young boy was very natural and believable. Jess, played by Josh Hutcherson, had that innocent look that said a thousand words. I think both stars will have a great career with the right balance...

It's a great story and message and some events I didn't see coming. More on that in the discussion thread. But, man, it really took me awhile to recover from that.

I kept thinking NO! NO! NO!...this isn't suppose to happen in these kinds of films! Posted Image...I kept waiting for some magical thing to bring her back....but I think if it did, it would have cheapened the film.

Again, wonderful message and very well acted.

A very solid 9/10 on the first viewing. Posted Image

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 08:50 AM

I mentioned in another thread some of my thoughts which I will echo here too....

I was unaware of the book or any plot of the film before going in to see it. My wife is a fantasy nut and that was the device that got out entire family in to see this film including a niece and nephew of mine. As mentioned, anyone going in expecting Chronicles of Narnia will be disappointed as it is not that type of film at all.

The results???? My family were disappointed in the film.

I was not!!!

What I saw was a film that did start off slow but it spent time building the characters to such an extent that would pay off later on in the film. The audience was moved by the film, I looked around to see people's reactions.

As for Annasophia Robb, I could not think of anyone better to play her part in this film. It was a far cry from her character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I also liked by the way. When I stop to think about this film 8 days after seeing it, it brings back a flood of emotions. Unless something truly special comes along, this could possibly be my favourite of 2007.

9/10
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"