Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with rear speaker placement

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 02:57 PM

I have to rewire my entire media room from the original plan I had when I built the house 2 years ago. Going with a projector now. 100-106". Have front/center/sub picked out. Narrowing it down on a receiver that doesn't have HD-DVD True Dolby HDMI issues. Need to finalize the rear speakers so I can go in, re-wire, paint, and get some customer cabinets made...then it's the easy part, purchasing everything! Anyways, strange room. 14x14' with a 2' inset in the rear (cabinets for components, projector mounted upside down to top). Walls are 7'10 at the walls then arch up to 10'. Couch is going to be a square U sectional running along the sides and back wall. Was thinking 5.1 or 6.1 based on this set-up. You can see where I have taped out 2 speakers on the side, but now I"m thinking about doing in-walls on the slanted back part of the ceiling. Thoughts? Ok, still trying to get the pictures up. 39.1KB max file size? Sheesh.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 03:16 PM

cropped them to fit in the member profile. this should work.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisChap

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 10:03 AM

I replied to your thread on texags, but in case you check here first I just said I would look into using pivoting speaker mounts to angle the rear speakers toward the listener.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 12:04 PM

Bumping an old thread but need some help. After hours of attic time today I have finalized that there is absolutely NO way to get to that R-Side speaker drop (picture 2 above). Best I can do is get to the top of the angled ceiling. So I would have to do a speaker wire run through the ceiling there, down the exposed ceiling, and then down the wall to where the blue tape for the speaker is. I could paint it to match the walls (gray or gray & black) Should I do this, or just scrap the side speakers?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 12:33 PM

Don't scrap the side speakers. I would either paint the cable as you mentioned or use a bracket for the speaker and hang it from where you can make the drop.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted July 29 2007 - 10:49 AM

re-wiring is finally done. it actually worked out really well.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 12:40 PM

Cabinets were installed and I went ahead and hooked everything up (even though it still needs to be painted and I haven't ordered the fixed Carada screen). I'm pretty blown away by how awesome it looks and sound. I'll post some pics once it's all done. BTW - thanks for making me do the rear speakers. It sounds fantastic.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted August 11 2007 - 12:45 PM

I guess I should post my equipment also Panasonic PT-100XU 720p projector (killer) Carada screen - probably 110" Onkyo 605 Toshiba HD-A2 DirecTV HR-20 HD TIvo Fronts: Infinity Beta C250s Side: JBL Balcony Rear: old JBL bookshelfs Sub: Velodyne SPL-12 Power Supply: Tripp Lite LCD 1000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users