-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: For Your Consideration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 15 2007 - 07:01 AM

http://static.hometh...overs_81163.jpg">

For Your Consideration

Directed By: Christopher Guest

Starring: Catherine O'Hara, Harry Shearer, Eugene Levy, Christopher Guest, Bob Balaban, Michael McKean, Jennifer Coolidge, Parker Posey, Fred Willard, Jane Lynch, John Michael Higgins, and Ricky Gervais

Studio: Warner Independent Pictures

Year: 2006

Rated: PG-13

Film Length: 86 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Subtitles: English, French, and Spanish

Release Date: February 20, 2007

For those of you who are keeping score at home, I just want to make something very clear: Martin Scorsese: zero Oscars; Three 6 Mafia: one.
- Jon Stewart at 2006 Oscars

In celebration of Academy Awards season, Warner Independent Pictures is treating us to the DVD debut of Christopher Guest's "For Your Consideration", a cautionary tale of the dangers of Oscar buzz.

The Film

"For Your Consideration", the latest outing from Christopher Guest and his usual company of improvisational comic actors, tells the story of the havoc wrought on all of the marginally talented individuals involved in the production of a zero-budget film called "Home for Purim" when it receives the faintest whiff of internet-generated Oscar buzz.

In a departure from his most recent films, Christopher Guest has abandoned the "mockumentary" approach for "For Your Consideration". This is a bit of a risky move, since part of the humor in "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show", and "A Mighty Wind", arose from how the "camera" was smarter and more aware of what was happening than the participants in the "documentary". This allowed Guest to "sell" the humor a bit while allowing the actors to play things completely earnestly and deadpan. This is mitigated somewhat by having the "Home for Purim" participants subjected to the various forms of celebrity television journalism including EPK interviews, celebrity gossip shows, morning news shows, late night talk shows, and PBS-style sit down in a dark room at a well-polished table shows.

The film is very funny in a bone-dry style. Even though its satirical targets are proverbial fish in a barrel, they are annoying enough fish that they still deserve to be shot. The large ensemble cast is uniformly great, with nearly everyone being given a chance to shine. One notable addition to the usual large ensemble is Ricky Gervais, who pulls off an amusing take on an executive seeking to broaden the appeal of the movie by inquiring if "Home for Purim" can "tone down" its Jewishness. The handful of scenes we get to see from "Home for Purim" are comic gold. It is an overacted, overwritten period southern gothic Jewish melodrama with dollops of lesbianism and mortal illness. As a side note, if there were an Oscar awarded for ridiculous hair, this film would likely hog all of the nominations, with Fred Willard's orange faux-hawk the likely front-runner.

All of that being said, one weakness that I think prevents "For Your Consideration" from rising quite to the level of Guest's best films, my favorite being "Best in Show", is that the story line from which the various improvised scenes are hung is not particularly strong. While the film begins and ends focusing on the arc of Catherine O'Hara's Marilyn Hack, it goes on all sorts of tangents in between that diffuse the focus without establishing the arcs of the other characters as strongly. The many amusing moments and satirical zings do not quite add up to a satisfying whole.

The Video

The quality of the 16:9 enhanced video is disappointing. There is a constant haze of grain over the image. It appears to have been shot on 16mm film even though it was not using the "mockumentary" techniques of Guest's previous films. Digital video artifacts are visible when the compression has trouble keeping up with the grain. I noticed no distracting halos around high contrast objects.

The Audio

The Dolby Digital 5.1 track offers pleasing fidelity. The surrounds are used sparingly for light environmental ambience, and most of the mix is focused on dialog anchored in the center channel. Notable exceptions occur in the clips from the "Home for Purim" film, which feature a humorously overblown orchestral score in wide stereo.

The Extras

The first extra is a screen-specific audio commentary from Guest and Levy. A lot of the commentary is given over to identifying actors and discussing their history with them which can be a bit dull. The track is somewhat redeemed by bits of very deadpan dry humor, discussion about their working methods, details about the elaborate back-stories they create for the film's characters, and interesting production trivia. I was most surprised to learn that the look Catherine O'Hara sports in the later parts of the film was achieved strictly through make-up and manipulation of her facial muscles without the aid of any latex appliances.

Next up is what the DVD packaging refers to as "Over 30 Minutes of Hilarious Bonus Material". More specifically, it is a collection of 18 clips, including deleted scenes, alternate takes, and a couple of bloopers that runs for about 38 minutes if you choose the "play all" feature. Not every one of the 18 clips is a winner, but most of them are very funny. My personal favorites are two segments featuring John Michael Higgins' out of control publicist mistreating underlings.

Also included is a "Home for Purim" poster gallery showing eight stills of posters created for the film within the film, many of which were not used in the finished movie.

Finally, we have the film's theatrical trailer presented in 16:9 enhanced widescreen with Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo sound.

When the disc first spins up, you are greeted with skippable promotional trailers for "The Painted Veil", "Music and Lyrics", and "Lucky You" all are presented as letterboxed 4:3 video with Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo sound.

Packaging

The film comes in a standard Amaray-type hard plastic case with no insert.

Summary

While falling a bit short of his best work, Christopher Guest's "For Your Consideration" still has plenty of laughs at the expense of Oscar-buzz inanity. The video quality is a bit disappointing by modern standards, and the audio is perfectly fine for the material. Extras include a moderately informative audio commentary and some very funny deleted scenes.

Regards,

Edited by Ken_McAlinden - 7/21/2009 at 06:40 pm GMT
Edited by Ken_McAlinden - 7/21/2009 at 06:48 pm GMT
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,252 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 08:04 AM

I loved Waiting for Guffman and after all these years had
the opportunity to watch Best In Show, which I loved just
as much (if not more).....

....so imagine how excited I was when I first heard about For
Your Consideration
when it arrived at theaters.

Most of the reviews I read were pretty much on spot with your
views in that this film was somewhat lacking of earlier efforts.
Fortunately, reviews were quite favorable to this film.

My copy shipped yesterday and I am looking forward to sitting
down next week to watch and judge this film for myself.

Thanks for the review!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 11 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Screenwriter

• 2,990 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted February 15 2007 - 10:04 AM

Ken,

Thanks for the review. I've been eagerly awaiting this one.
Rich Gallagher

#4 of 11 Jace_A

Jace_A

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 11:13 AM

This is the single worst looking transfer I have ever seen on DVD. There is so much noise in the picture that it is virtually unwatchable on my Plasma and completely unwatchable on my 1080p projector.

#5 of 11 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 15 2007 - 11:13 AM

i watched it last night with the wife.

i always look forward to these movies from this crew.
this one didint work for me.
there were plenty of funny things in the movie but too much of it wasnt funny.
it was jjust a behind the scenes of a movie that wasnt very good.

it was strong in the beginning and the end was very good.
the middle act just was a dud.
i was dissapointed with this one.
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 11 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 15 2007 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace_A
This is the single worst looking transfer I have ever seen on DVD.
You should have seen the first "Highlander". Those were the days... Posted Image Any Artisan release of "The Quiet Man" would do the trick as well.

My guess is it was shot on Super 16mm, transferred to the digital domain for editing and post production, and then output as a 35mm blow-up. The video transfer is probably from a 35mm source once or twice removed from the digital IP. To me, it looked grainier than some of the TV shows shot on Super 16 like "Veronica Mars".

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#7 of 11 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,228 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the review Ken.

As someone who thought of MIGHTY WIND as a minor modern masterpiece (and thoroughly enjoyed GUFFMAN and SHOW) I was a bit let down when I saw this at the theater. I had intended to give it a second viewing, but it only played for a week and never made it to the discount theaters.

Given the apparent poor PQ this may be a rental for me.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 11 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,252 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 03:56 AM

I wasn't very impressed with this film either, though I still
greatly admire the comic performances from this veteran group.

So glad you guys touched upon the transfer. My God, I thought
my HD-DVD player had somehow gone bonkers. There was so
much noise in the picture that it looked just awful on my 65"
display. Just an awful transfer!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 11 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 07:09 AM

Yes, it looked horrible even on a regular TV, and I didn't find it too funny either.

#10 of 11 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,228 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 08:17 AM

My wife and I Netflixed this. Having seen it in the theater I was able to pick up on some subtle humor the second time around, but it was still a letdown. The exceptions being the wonderful Fred Willard and Jane Lynch who were just delightful.

The picture quality is as poor as the above posts indicate. So much so that it was a distraction. Very hazy and noisy. Without too much exaggeration I can say that I've seen homemade transfers of 16mm prints that looked better than this.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#11 of 11 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,087 posts

Posted February 25 2007 - 08:37 AM

It is a bad transfer, isn't it? But watch the transfer improve during the clips of the fake movies (the Thanksgiving one and "The Paper Badge")-- they look much, much better. It must have been a stylistic choice that the "documentary" footage looks as bad as it does. There are still some big laughs to be found, but it's the most disappointing of the four Guest efforts.