What's new

Denon - Blu-Ray or HD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Any word or rumor on whether Denon will take sides in this format war, or whether they will develop a hybrid machine as LG has done?

Looking at what they have done in the past with the Hi-Rez audio formats, I'm thinking they will either go with Blu-Ray first and then create a hybrid later or wait and just release hybrid machines. Here in Japan, they have the DVD players, which play all audio disc formats, as they do over there, but they also have a line of high-end, 2-channel SACD/CD-only players, the flagship player of which retails for over $4000.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think that Denon is involved with the BDA, but probably won't put out a player until the dust settles in the format war. I'd love to see them do a dual format player. If any company could do it right, it would be Denon.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I emailed Denon on the subject of if they where going to build an Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. And a Denon rep said they had no plans to build ether player until the format war was settled. They will be offering HDMI 1.3 receivers but no HD players.

Manus

Second Unit
" a Denon rep said they had no plans to build ether player until the format war was settled. "

Typical of the lazy-ar*e attitude of this industry IMO. Rather than sit down and decide on a single format we have the Sony end telling us the war is over and the tough guys have won and the wimpy Denon end of the market saying they'll sit on their etcs. until they figure out how to maximise their profits after everyone else ( particularly the consumer ) has paid for their R+D

Great industry , cant agree on Region Coding , single format or anything else but deserve every penny of profit when the time comes :frowning:

I think its time to get my guitar out and work on my ( tragic :) ) golf swing !
These buggers dont deserve anyones custom....

~M~

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Denon is not the only company sitting on the sidelines waiting for the format war to end. Companies like Adcom and Meridian will not be building players ether. Unless I am mistaken Toshiba claimed at CES that Meridian would be building an HD-DVD player. And I think Meridian came out and said they will not be building any HD-DVD players any time soon. Onkyo is said to support HD-DVD but I have not seen anything showing or talking about there player yet. So far Toshiba seems to be the only manufacturers of HD-DVD player besides the RCA that I believe is a rebadged Toshiba.

I have no doubt that once Denon feels its time to jump in and offer a player they will not only do so. But they will most likely build one of the best HD players offered.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Most people feel that Toshiba just let the cat out of the bag a tad early on that announcement. They didn't say they wouldn't.

Manus

Second Unit
http://media.meridian-audio.com/

Down the left side of the page is their statement that they are actually working on a high-end player. Meridian believe that we're still 12-24 months away from stable formats due to HDMI revisions etc.

~M~

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The local Denon dealer claimed HD DVD, which is on the hush hush. Said something about a buyout of some other brand.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would not put any bets on Denon coming out with an HD-DVD player anytime soon. I can not say I would not be interested in a Denon built HD-DVD player. But I would rather see a Denon Blu-ray player to be honest. I also would not buy the Denon unless HD-DVD actually won the war and I would buy it to replace my current Toshiba HD-A1. IMHO the salesmen where ether misinformed or where giving you incorrect information!

And since Denon is owned by D&M Holdings I could be wrong on this but you would think that D&M would be buying out that particular company. If it actually does happen and like I said above I am kinda doubting it. D&M holdings owns brands like Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, Boston, Escient, ReplayTV,Snell, CTN and D&M Professional(Denon Professional & Marantz Professional). If one of those companies goes HD-DVD or Blu-ray I would look for the rest of them to follow.

I recieved this response from Denon regaurding the possiblity of offering a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player.

Denon has allways been IMHO very good at responding to emails and I have no reason to not beleive there response. I see them eventually offering a HD player but I would not look for it this year. Once they do offer a player I have no doubt that it will be top notch, and will most likely be one of the best on the market.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I just read an article with an interview with Denon. They confirmed that an HD DVD was in the works, but would not make it out until mid 08. I have not been able to find the link, but if I do, I will post it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey ppltd,

I would honestly be surprised if Denon comes out with the HD-DVD player and that its in the works. I would love to see article if you come across that link. The quotation I posted was from Denon so that is why I would be shocked if they where working on it. I would only buy the Denon if HD-DVD ether wins the format war or if it coexists with Blu-ray for at least 2 more years. I really like Denon but there are other upgrades I need to do and I am currently saving for a Blu-ray player. I would rather see a Denon Blu-ray player but I will not rule out a Denon HD-DVD player later on down the road.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Still looking for that darn link. I read so many articles. Someday I will actually save the interesting one.:D It was in an interview where they where discussing their upcoming HDMI 1.3 receivers with TruHD and DTM HDMA, the first of which is scheduled for release in July.

I agree with you. I remember their comments at CES and would not be surprised if they have prototypes of both BD and HD players, but they have always been cautious at moving into new formats. I wouldn't expect these players to hit the market until one side or both actually move into the general public.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
mid '08? :eek:

I guess Denon wants to get past all of the hardware price wars before jumping into the fray. Can't really say I blame them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Unfortunantly I can not wait that long for Denon to put out a Blu-ray player. But Denon is on of the two brands I am looking at to replace my 10 yr old Yamaha RX-V995 later this year. And if Denon comes out with a HD-DVD player late 2008 I may consider replacing my Toshiba HD-A1 with it, only if HD-DVD wins the war! For now most of my cash will go towards releases that are on the Blu-ray platform. I can not say I will not buy a HD-DVD here and there, dam I am weak. :laugh:

But for now I will not be buying anymore Universal titles on DVD or HD until we can get them on Blu-ray!

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
I beleive Meridian is coming out with a HD DVD player, as well as Onkyo.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I believe that it was posted that the Onkyo player was cancelled. And if the Meridian player is not insanely exspensive I might consider saving up for it. And that is only if HD-DVD wins other wise I might upgrade to ether a Denon if they make one or a 1080p Toshiba model. I will be buying a Blu-ray player first and then a updated receiver. I allready own a HD-A1 Toshiba player so I at least have on HD player taken care of.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I believe that Onkyo was examining the possibility of a dual format player, but no definite decision had been made. The link to the story is in one of the posts in this section.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
All I know is that HD-DVD DESPERATELY needs more CE manufacturer support. This alone is fueling the perception that HD-DVD is a doomed format. The truth is that HD-DVD will continue to have limited availablity in stores and the eyes of retailers, since quite a few of them don't stock toshiba products.

I really wished the HD-DVD group had tried to square some of this away before launching last year. Hopefully the high sales of the Toshiba A2 will inspire others to make a player. AFAIK, the Onkyo HD-DVD player is still coming. The press release is still up at the Onkyo USA website. Until I see Onkyo retract the press release, I'll assume it's still coming.

As far as the "cheap" chinese players....

This is fine and dandy, but it would also be nice to have QUALITY players from Denon, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Marantz, NAD and other manufacturers. Despite what people on the opposing side have claimed, players from higher end manufacturers will not be threatened by the presence of cheap Chinese players. Most consumers who buy Denon, Onkyo, etc, probably would not consider a cheap no-name player as the primary digital source in their system imho.

I really believe that HD-DVD MUST have more of this support by the 4th quarter. When consumers only see one company making HD-DVD players, this does not exactly inspire confidence in them for the format.

Just my thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks