What's new

That Thing You Do! Director's Cut question (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A couple months ago, DavisDVD.com reported on a director's cut DVD release of That Thing You Do!, which they said was scheduled for March 27. Partial specs were mentioned - 50-minute-longer cut, commentary - but nothing really specific. Amazon has this up for preorder too, but I haven't seen it mentioned here or by any of the other DVD news sites, and no updated specs have come in, nor cover art, for a release that's supposed to happen a little over a month from now. Does anybody have any information on this? What are the specs, and more importantly, is it still coming on March 27? If not, when has it been rescheduled for? (A new DC of Big was supposed to arrive similtaneously, and I'm still unsure about that, too.) Can anybody provide insight as to what's going on here? Thanks.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Apparently not. Amazon.com now lists a May 8 street date for both this and the Big Director's Cut. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good deal! I cant wait. Good film that seems to always be underrated. And, at the risk of adding to that, The Commitments is a similar BETTER film.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Geez 50 minutes. Thats a lot more footage. I wonder (no pun intended) what is added?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

"Yeah...looks like Oh-needer!"

Honestly, probably one of the Frezon family's favorite films.

"Chad? Who's Chad?"

"Luke? Who's Luke?"

"U Thant? Who's..."

This is terrific news! Makes me almost as happy as the One-ders were when they heard their song for the first time on WJET Radio!

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I love this movie. I'm pretty interested in the extra 50 minutes also, but hopefully the original cut is included. I really like the song That Thing You Do. It's snappy.

I'll put in another vote for The Commitments also. A fine movie.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
You have no idea how happy you made me with this post. "That Thing You Do" is one of my all time favorites.

They created so much history behind this film, I'm amazed it wasn't longer to begin with.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
One of our favorites too. Saw it in the theater, bought the soundtrack right after that and still listen to it fairly often.

I'm also disappointed it's been delayed. I'd seen that announcement for March and was anticipating seeing some reviews and description of the added content in a few weeks.

Hopefully the PQ is improved too. The original DVD is pretty lackluster.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
DavisDVD just picked up on the new date too. I'm not surprised that it's been delayed -- a bit disappointed, but in the end it will all be fine. March 27 is really packed anyway; Children of Men and Happy Feet also have my attention on that date, so it's nice to have it freed up a bit. Still can't wait for this!

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
Boy, I need to check the forum more often. This is great news as I really dug this film too. They filmed a lot of it in my area (Orange County, CA). I went down to the sets while they were filming, but didn't get to see too much. They were mostly doing indoor scenes at the time.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"The Wonders, as in 'I Won-der whatever happened to the O-nee-ders'".

By the way, you guy look great in red, have I told you that?

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in as another who'll buy this in a heartbeat. Saw it at the cinemas when first released and have watched my (practically) bare-bones edition numerous times.

"Oh, I'm not here with these fellas. I've got a pig in competition over at the livestock pavilion, and I am going to win that blue ribbon!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the fan base for this movie is bigger than some people might think?

I'm certainly enthusiastic about the response in this thread...but also based on the limited number of people with whom I've discussed this film, it seems to resonate with a lot of people.

I wonder why? The results in re-creating the mid-1960s are terrific. Many comment on the soundtrack. The script is solid (very quotable! ;) ). Nice ensemble. Maybe it is just the sum of its parts--AND a good story well told.

=================

A quick stroll around the 'net shows that DVD Empire is listing a DTS track (!) alongside a DD 5.1 (I think the first release was only DD 5.0). It also shows a running time of 155 minutes...confirming the additional 50 minutes of scenes.

Movies Unlimited lists the following features:

One VERY COOL thing is that it looks like this release is going to be had for $14 or less! :emoji_thumbsup:

==================

"You mean actually make a record? A record, record, record?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks