What's new

Need a new receiver (1 Viewer)

SpiderX1016

Agent
Real Name
Raymond
I'm going to buy a new receiver for my dad's birthday :)
But I can't decide what to get for him.

Needs to be from Bestbuy though (Have a $100 Gift Card)
5.1, Dolby Digital

This is his setup right now
Center - Polk Audio CS250-S
Front x2 - Polk Audio RT16
Rear x2 - Polk Audio M3 2
Sub - Polk Audio PSW50
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V2090

I was told to get a SA-XR55S
I was looking at a HTR-5940BL and VSX-816K

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To me it's between the value and numerous features of the 816 and the sound quality of the digital Panasonic. I'd say get the 816 but then again, I've never heard the Panasonics. I'd like to though.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Were it my money to spend and my dad I was buying a receiver for (what a nice son, you are), I would normally recommend Yamaha over both Pioneer and Panasonic. In your case, however, I heartily recommend the Pionneer for being such a feature-laden reciever at such a great price. I am especially surprised that it has the MCACC feature, at that price point. In case you are unaware of what that is, it is where you hook an included mic up to the receiver and at the press of a button it automatically adjusts your speaker's levels, EQ, size, distance, etc., all according to your own (or your dad's own) room acoustics. This makes for a more cohesive surround sound field, even (especially) when you are using unmatched speakers in the system.

The Pioneer also received a favorable review in Home Theater Magazine. Read it here: http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/806pioneer/

SpiderX1016

Agent
Real Name
Raymond
hmm, that sounds like a pretty cool feature and would make it easier on me :)
I'll look more into that

People say to get the panasonic, because it's Digital?

What about the Onkyo TX-SR504

Shane Harg

Second Unit
What people say that? Can they give you any other reason beyond, "because it's digital"? Digital does not necessarily mean better.

I personally don't have any experience with so-called "pure digital amps" but just about everything I've read here and other places, such as in reviews, tells me to avoid them, at least for now.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Raymond

The Onkyo SR 504 is a very good receiver....if I had to choose I would go with the Pioneer 816...I have recommended this to others.

SpiderX1016

Agent
Real Name
Raymond
That 816 does look good, On ShopOnkyo the SR504 is $170 - Is that worth it? or is the 816 better?

Andy_A

Second Unit
I don't think you'll find the Onkyo at BB.. Most of their stuff seems to me to be pretty overpriced, but since you have a $100 gift card, your best bet would be the Pioneer offerings, preferably on clearance--you may find the 816 or a 1015 being closed out. Other than these, I'd actually try (you can always return it) the Insignia five channel receiver. I've heard people say they've gotten good performance from it, despite the low (~$125) price tag..

SpiderX1016

Agent
Real Name
Raymond
Reason I asked about the Onkyo because in the end, I'm paying the same amount of cash more or less. What about the ShopOnkyo Refurb one?

Maybe I should buy that Onkyo and use the $100 GC on some Speaker Cables? Those Rear Speaker Cables are looking pretty thin :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 504 wouldn't have quite as many bells and whistles as the 816 but it would still be a real good choice. Solid all around avr. And you would still have that BB gift card.

Andy_A

Second Unit
if location of purchase is no longer an issue then your best bet is a refurb from HK through their website or even better from the Harman store on ebay where they often go for much less than their website...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi

Please don't waste your money on speaker cables...there is more profit in speaker wire and interconnects than there is in everything else related to HT/AV...I would continue to recommend the Pioneer 816...please keep in touch with me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Raymond

I would order it from J&R Music for about $240 plus shipping...or just go to Best Buy or Circuit City if you want to get a reasonably good deal at a B&M...please keep in touch with me.

Andy_A

Second Unit
like I said, for the money the HKs will outperform all of the receivers you mentioned. They'll also drive more challenging speakers without a problem. Therefore, I'd stick w/ an HK refurb receiver. I agree on the cables--get the 14 gauge from monoprice and even put on your own ends...

SpiderX1016

Agent
Real Name
Raymond
Which HK do you recommend then? I'd probably get the 816 at BB if I do. Maybe I can Pricematch it to somewhere

Andy_A

Second Unit
you'd be in great shape with one of their AVR-135 or 235, which they have on ebay pretty regularly: http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AV... QcmdZViewItem

They have an MSRP of $449, although I've seen them go as low as $150. You might even get a 630 cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AV...QQcmdZViewItem
Just click browse their other auctions and you'll see 130, 135, 235, 435's... usually all of these models sell for under $300...
In any case, these tend to be amazing bang for your buck receivers and of course carry a full two year warranty from HK. You can also pay a little more on their online store site for the same thing: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...REC&market=HOM

435 auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Raymond

With all due respect to Andy A...HK does not do enough Beta Testing of its receivers...if you get a good one, it should be fine...however, if you get one that is problematic, you may well be sorry...I continue to recommend the Pioneer 816...if you set your speakers to an 80Hz crossover that is recommended by almost everyone...the 816 will be fine...please keep in touch with me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Raymond

Other than the subwoofer the speakers are fine...you should encourage your father to pick up the HSU VTF-3Mk2 at $612 delivered while they are still available...please keep in touch with me.

Users who are viewing this thread