What's new

The Mummy 3 (June 11 2008) (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Rob Cohen (The Fast and the Furious, Stealth) is set to direct with Brendan Fraser returning. Universal has even set a release date for next summer, June 11 2008.

Monsters with Hellboy, The Mummy and The Wolf Man all in the same year!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Liked the first one okay. Thought the second was really bad (with some of the worst effects I've ever seen).

Will take a miracle to get me in the theater for this...will probably prefer to go see Indiana Jones again. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I thought the sequel was a lot more fun than the first movie. I'll probably check it out on DVD unless it gets decent reviews.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
the first one was just okay and the second one sucked...

both movies, honestly, were pretty boring. They tried to create a modern day indiana jones and failed miserably.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I really like the first movie - it sure ain't perfect, but I thought it did a good job balancing a lot of elements. Weisz and Fraser have great chemistry, and I liked O'Connell, despite his being an Indiana Jones knockoff.

The second movie....I own it, but only watch the scene where Imhotep is raised, and the very end. I just thought it was dumb, and hated a lot of the plot points.

I think a third film could be really good, but it would take great writing to make it so. O'Connell as a widower (I originally read Weisz was done doing these films) in his late 40s or 50s, his son a young man...potential for some great pulp action there, but only if done well. In some ways, Sommers being gone is good...but Rob Cohen? Eh. This is a case when some experienced producers could really help instead of hurt a project. I don't have much hope for something good.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I really enjoyed both films right up until the Scorpion King makes his appearance. Woof, that's bad CGI. I do hope they can talk Weisz into making another film, as Evie is a great character.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I didn't mind the mummy series, and actually remember being quite impressed after seing the first one, in the theater. The next was not near as good, and the Scorpion King was just overkill.

I think it was a nice little teaser while all of us waited, and waited, and waited................and waited (yeah, I think you get the point) for IJ4 to come out, after being rumored to happen for years now.

Now that IJ4 has been announced, I doubt the Mummy part 3 will get much love. When put head to head with Indiana Jones, there is little comparison on which is better.

That said, this series may do a little better with younger kids, so it just might find an audience.

JC

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Encino Man can do no wrong, and I'll watch the third. I liked both the first and second of the Mummy films. More lighthearted than the Indiana Jones movies.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mummy-revived a classic monster with enough action, special effects and adventure for this movie goer to have a good time. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Loved the anti-Ripley "damsel in distress" and token slimy-guy. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mummy Returns-more? Well, okay. I gave it a try after everybody said it sucked. I disliked the fact that they turned the damsel into Ripley-lite. What a disappointment! And the kid was hard to take but I got used to him. However, unlike so many, I loved all the effects. I mean, this is just a monster movie....every piece of cgi doesn't have to be perfectly placed. I thought everything looked pretty good. Although my enjoyment for these flicks is elevated thanks to my love for the Xena and Hercules TV series.

Mummy 3-??? this should be the first I see in the cinema. I'm wondering if they can bring anything new to this idea. At least the sequel to Bubba Ho-tep will be Bruce against vamps. The film doesn't have to be called "Mummy something" does it? I predict it'll just be more of the same with better visual effects. At least the Indy movies tried for new things each time. In fact, I'll go out on a limb ;) and predict that Indy will kick Mummy 3's saggy bandaged butt across the desert.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed the first one. I'm not sure its valid to call it an Indiana Jones ripoff like so many do. Indiana Jones and The Mummy are both influenced by the old serial pulp adventure movies. Different interpretations of the same genre is all. Of course Indy did it better up until Last Crusade which I think is below The Mummy in entertainment value.

The second one had its moments, but wasn't very good overall to me. The bad CGI doesn't bother me so much because I figure its only important that it looks real to the characters in the movie. As long as they look like they see a giant half-scorpion guy that's good enough for me. It was the changes to the characters and lackluster plot with villains who were evil for no apparent reason that I didn't like.

I'm sure I'll rent the third film. But listening to the commentaries on the first two really made me like Sommers as director. He points and laughs at his own mistakes as much as the fans do. Like he intended them to be just fun popcorn movies and not genre-redefining masterpieces.

"Imhotep!"

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"No! You must not read from the book!"

I liked both Mummy flicks, I enjoyed their silliness, the Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri music scores, the variable visual effects, the over-the-top characters and Patricia Valasquez walk thru the temple, so yeah I'll be queueing up for Mummy III next year. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed both of the Mummy pictures, not to the level of an Indiana Jones picture, but there's still plenty of fun to be had at them. Not many modern movies offer the style, dashing and adventure found in those movies anymore. I hope they go ahead with M3 and get Fraser and Oscar-winner Weisz on board.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Arnold Vosloo was on a commentary track on 24: Season Four and he mentioned they were talking about doing a third Mummy movie and since it had been quite awhile since the first two, I thought he was nuts. Imhotep proved my ass wrong. :)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't that the direction of this film? I'm not sure if they are still going with the same script, but a recent script review revealed that it would be a Chinese Mummy with Rick and his son, who's all grown up now, on an adventure.

EDIT: Here's the script review in question. Wonder if this will be the one they're going ahead with.
http://www.iesb.net/scriptreviews/mummy3.php

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
One of the few who's a fan of both films, for me great joy ride. But, wouldn't go to the movies for this one, DVD purchase for me at the right time unless the reviews change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks