Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

More hints at Star Wars 30th Anniversary DVD set?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#41 of 152 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando
I hate to say it but if we haven't heards anything about it this far into the year then nothing worthwhile is coming.

I am of course praying on the inside as I write this that I am as wrong as wrong can be. Hear that LFL? MAKE ME WRONG!

However even though I am sure there will be some kind of 30th anniverssary re-release no way will it be a boxset of Superman Ultimate Edition proportions. Man I wish it would be but we would have heard something by now.

instead... nothing.

I think it's BLATANTLY obvious that they're saving this big announcement for Celebration IV which takes place in May. Most likely that will mean a late Oct. or early Nov. release just in time for the big holiday shopping season. Not really rocket science if you ask me.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#42 of 152 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 04:01 AM

I honestly would be more surprised if we didn't see an announcement at Celebration IV. It's the perfect opportunity for something like this. It's like MacWorld but for Star Wars fans. Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#43 of 152 John Alderson

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 06:14 AM

Thinking of previous Star Wars releases though (the prequels, the '04 set and then last years), didn't we know something more concrete by now? Even in the rumor stage? None of the rumors so far have "felt" that solid to me yet.

#44 of 152 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 13 2007 - 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alderson
Thinking of previous Star Wars releases though (the prequels, the '04 set and then last years), didn't we know something more concrete by now? Even in the rumor stage? None of the rumors so far have "felt" that solid to me yet.
Yeah but it's not like Lucasfilm doesn't know that the fans are anticipating a 30th anniversary set. If there wasn't one, I think LFL would have said something to the effect of "We're not doing anything for the 30th anniversary but we are putting together a set that'll be released in the future."

Personally, I'd like to see new transfers for at least Episode I, corrected sound issues (while I can't notice the switched surrounds, it still should be fixed), deleted scenes and the making-ofs from the OT and Episode I. As I've said before, I don't think it's going to be a huge Superman or Alien sized set. It'll be a relatively small set. They've probably made a few effects tweaks (Episode I's Yoda and maybe some others), if they added any new live action stuff, it was shot long ago and there probably isn't a new documentary so all that is probably why the rumor mill isn't going crazy.

#45 of 152 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alderson

I think the '04 DVDs were announced sometime in March for a September release date so that would make a May announcement for a November(or thereabouts) release right on track.

#46 of 152 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 07:07 AM

I am stoked for this.

A second job would be wise probably for what will be released

Hahaha
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#47 of 152 AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 09:34 AM

Just give me: Six discs. All the movies as they were in theaters. The End.

#48 of 152 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 10:35 AM

Not. Gonna. Happen.

#49 of 152 AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 11:30 AM

Thank.You. Dad.

#50 of 152 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCosmo
Thank.You. Dad.

Hey, I'm just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up because there's about 0.0% chance of the OT being offered in this set. I'm not saying I don't want it in pristine anamorphic form(of course I do), but there's just no reason for Lucas to offer it in this set so soon after the recent OT release. Besides, the biggest selling point of this set is going to be all of the additional changes that have been made to the films. I'm sure that won't fly with everyone, but it's almost a guarantee that's what we're going to get.

#51 of 152 MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 12:03 PM

There's quite a few scenes from EMPIRE that I'd like to see as well: the Wampa "sub-plot" scene(s), the first "kiss" scene with Luke and Leia, the removal of Luke's facial bandages, etc.

If they're planning on a DVD release for Star Wars' REAL anniversary on May 25th, I think we definitely would have heard something by now. However, if they're going to wait and release it for the Christmas shopping season, I guess we won't be hearing anything for several months.
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#52 of 152 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,362 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MielR
There's quite a few scenes from EMPIRE that I'd like to see as well: the Wampa "sub-plot" scene(s), the first "kiss" scene with Luke and Leia, the removal of Luke's facial bandages, etc.
Was there enough footage even shot to really make a scene out of it? I thought they kinda gave up after the Wampa puppets/costumes weren't working out. Once again, I'd love to see any footage that's in the LFL archives though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_M
Hey, I'm just trying to keep you from getting your hopes up
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but you know that's exactly what's gonna happen. Like with almost anything Star Wars related, people are going to be pissed when the contents of the set are announced.

#53 of 152 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but you know that's exactly what's gonna happen. Like with almost anything Star Wars related, people are going to be pissed when the contents of the set are announced.

Oh yeah, you can already feel the ground rumbling as fanboys get ready to erupt when the specs of the set don't meet every single one of their expectations. It should get really fun around here after the announcement. Posted Image

#54 of 152 Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 329 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted February 13 2007 - 03:32 PM

Following the pattern of previous releases, this release is guaranteed to do the following:

A. Make some changes that people would like to see,

B. Change some things that no one ever thought of, that won't make sense to anyone but Lucas,

C. Fix some things that needed to be fixed,

D. Inexplicably leave some very obvious problems alone,

E. And finally, introduce a whole NEW set of problems to be corrected in some future release.

This is the pattern that every previous release has followed, and there is no reason to believe that the "30th Anniversary Editions" will be any different.
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#55 of 152 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 03:48 PM

You know I'd really like to see them add the Biggs footage back into the movie. I have cds of the NPR radio plays and the scene instead of slowing it down actually ADDS a new dimension to it. i think that they should add as much deleted/unused footage as possible kind of like what Coppola did with the VHS tapes of the Godfather trilogy/saga. Now THAT is something I'd give a body part for!

Charlie

#56 of 152 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 13 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'd like to see the Battle of Hoth ratcheted up to the level of Geonosis or Kashyyyk.

#57 of 152 MielR

MielR

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 05:04 PM

Quote:
Was there enough footage even shot to really make a scene out of it? I thought they kinda gave up after the Wampa puppets/costumes weren't working out. Once again, I'd love to see any footage that's in the LFL archives though.
I have no idea- I'd like to see whatever they have to be included as bonus material, too. There is that one brief shot in one of the trailers of 3PO ripping the warning sticker off the door of the room where the rebels were holding a wampa, in an attempt to trick stormtroopers into going in there, but who knows what other shots exist.

Quote:
Like with almost anything Star Wars related, people are going to be pissed when the contents of the set are announced.
I'm already pissed, because I know that what I want most is not going to be included.

It will be amusing to see what they're going to throw in there to try to entice people to buy the set (people who've already purchased these movies umpteen times, especially).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brooks
Following the pattern of previous releases, this release is guaranteed to do the following:

A. Make some changes that people would like to see,
B. Change some things that no one ever thought of, that won't make sense to anyone but Lucas,
C. Fix some things that needed to be fixed,
D. Inexplicably leave some very obvious problems alone,
E. And finally, introduce a whole NEW set of problems to be corrected in some future release.

This is the pattern that every previous release has followed, and there is no reason to believe that the "30th Anniversary Editions" will be any different.
Perfect! Posted Image
SAVE STAR WARS! BOYCOTT THE BLU-RAYS! "Like" us here:

http://www.facebook....ycotttheblurays

#58 of 152 CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MielR
If they're planning on a DVD release for Star Wars' REAL anniversary on May 25th, I think we definitely would have heard something by now. However, if they're going to wait and release it for the Christmas shopping season, I guess we won't be hearing anything for several months.

I think in and around that time is when we will see a limited theatrical release

#59 of 152 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted February 14 2007 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
Was there enough footage even shot to really make a scene out of it? I thought they kinda gave up after the Wampa puppets/costumes weren't working out.

Remember this is Lucas. If it doesn't exist, or only exists in a rough print, he'll just have ILM recreate the entire scene for him.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#60 of 152 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,362 posts

Posted February 14 2007 - 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Remember this is Lucas. If it doesn't exist, or only exists in a rough print, he'll just have ILM recreate the entire scene for him.
And they do have that Wampa costume from the SE now too. Posted Image

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow