-

Photo

Criterion and BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:10 AM

I just got the new Criterion newsletter.

Does that little cartoon mean that they will be releasing Fassbinder's BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ?????

"Tour all of Berlin in 15 1/2 hours".

Sounds like it to me!!

#2 of 16 ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:40 AM

i thought the same thing!
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#3 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:55 AM

That's the only thing it can be.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 16 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 12:25 PM

Mmmm - I think I'll buy that. Posted Image

#5 of 16 Oliver_Groth

Oliver_Groth

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 12:47 AM

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ has just been released on DVD in Germany (no English Subs). It's a new transfer (supervised by the Fassbinder Foundation), so it's highly likely that Criterion will release it as well.

#6 of 16 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 03:32 AM

Don't remember where it was from, but I know I've seen/heard that rumor for a while now, that Criterion would be releasing Berlin Alexanderplatz at some point. So I wasn't surprised when I saw that in the latest newsletter. It's probably been in the works for a while now.

#7 of 16 SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 04:42 AM

Brook will be ecstatic. Posted Image

#8 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,143 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 10 2007 - 06:56 AM

You know, the running time means that this will be a 5-6 disc set. I could see this release very easily being the Eclipse title for May.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 16 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
You know, the running time means that this will be a 5-6 disc set. I could see this release very easily being the Eclipse title for May.

Would it be Eclipse or regular Criterion, as this is a pretty major film, and the Eclipse line was I thought geared more to the secondary titles. Not that it really matters.

And what would the price be for this? It is the equivalent of 7 or 8 films.

#10 of 16 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 02:46 AM

Yeah, this strikes me as an A title that fits into the Criterion line, not the Eclipse one.

#11 of 16 ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 06:15 AM

From the Fassbinder Foundation:
Quote:
Berlin Alexanderplatz will be edited towards the end of 2007 with English subtitles by Criterion. We will post details as we learn about them.

#12 of 16 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted February 22 2007 - 09:12 AM

What's the point of "will be edited"...?

#13 of 16 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 06:07 AM

I thought it was already common knowledge they were releasing it. I was hoping this was going to be out by the fall since the restoration is premiering soon at the Berlin Film Festival. It was supervised by cinematographer Xavier Schwartzenberg.

Hopefully the "will be edited by Criterion" is a garbled translation of will be released by Criterion toward the end of '07. Criterion isn't going to edit the film.

My birthday is in October, Criterion, try and have it out by then please! I'll take a super duper box edition with a Fassbinder bobble-head Posted Image
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#14 of 16 Gereon_B

Gereon_B

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 06:21 AM

As a German, I can guarantee that it's a bad translation - in German, the same word is used for releasing and editor, hence "will be edited".

The premiere has already happened at the Berlinale. It was greeted by mixed reviews, mostly not for the movie, but for the presentation at the Volksbuehne where it was shown in a 35mm blow up. I own the german DVD, it looks better than it ever has, still the image has an overall softness that looks like the transfer was rather heavily filtered (due to it being filmed in 16mm, maybe they tried to remove grain). So, there's still room for improvement on the Criterion, if they don't have to use the same transfer.

#15 of 16 Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 01:34 PM

So nothing to worry about, then... We should assume that the Criterion will be the best edition as usual...?

#16 of 16 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,478 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 11:08 AM

MoMA is said to be hosting the North American Premiere of Berlin Alexanderplatz: Remastered from April 10-15, 2007. I don't know if this means that Criterion's edition will premiere soon after, or if there will be some lag time so that the print can circulate amongst other venues around the U.S. before a DVD release.

Forum Nav Content I Follow