What's new

Criterion and BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ??? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just got the new Criterion newsletter.

Does that little cartoon mean that they will be releasing Fassbinder's BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ?????

"Tour all of Berlin in 15 1/2 hours".

Sounds like it to me!!

Oliver_Groth

Agent
BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ has just been released on DVD in Germany (no English Subs). It's a new transfer (supervised by the Fassbinder Foundation), so it's highly likely that Criterion will release it as well.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Don't remember where it was from, but I know I've seen/heard that rumor for a while now, that Criterion would be releasing Berlin Alexanderplatz at some point. So I wasn't surprised when I saw that in the latest newsletter. It's probably been in the works for a while now.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Would it be Eclipse or regular Criterion, as this is a pretty major film, and the Eclipse line was I thought geared more to the secondary titles. Not that it really matters.

And what would the price be for this? It is the equivalent of 7 or 8 films.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was already common knowledge they were releasing it. I was hoping this was going to be out by the fall since the restoration is premiering soon at the Berlin Film Festival. It was supervised by cinematographer Xavier Schwartzenberg.

Hopefully the "will be edited by Criterion" is a garbled translation of will be released by Criterion toward the end of '07. Criterion isn't going to edit the film.

My birthday is in October, Criterion, try and have it out by then please! I'll take a super duper box edition with a Fassbinder bobble-head :D

Gereon_B

Grip
As a German, I can guarantee that it's a bad translation - in German, the same word is used for releasing and editor, hence "will be edited".

The premiere has already happened at the Berlinale. It was greeted by mixed reviews, mostly not for the movie, but for the presentation at the Volksbuehne where it was shown in a 35mm blow up. I own the german DVD, it looks better than it ever has, still the image has an overall softness that looks like the transfer was rather heavily filtered (due to it being filmed in 16mm, maybe they tried to remove grain). So, there's still room for improvement on the Criterion, if they don't have to use the same transfer.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
MoMA is said to be hosting the North American Premiere of Berlin Alexanderplatz: Remastered from April 10-15, 2007. I don't know if this means that Criterion's edition will premiere soon after, or if there will be some lag time so that the print can circulate amongst other venues around the U.S. before a DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks