Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions:Simpletech 2.5 External Hard Drives

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 11:45 AM

I was interested if anyone has any experience with Simpletech's 2.5 external USB 2.0 hard drives. I'm interested in archiving captured HD mpegs of this season of 24 on one of their 80 gig drives.

I'm curious if HD playback performance would be impaired by connecting it to my desktop USB 2.0 port, without needing an additional power cable.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Gary

#2 of 3 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 10:07 AM

With bus power, the problem is getting the drive to spin up. 2.5" notebook drives are not the problem that regular 3.5" drives are. I would guess that the drive basically works, otherwise they wouldn't sell it.

In that case, you've got a 5400rpm drive. HDTV MPEG transport streams are actually only about 20 Mbits/second, which any modern 5400 drive should be able to handle. (The fact that USB 2 can go as fast as 480 Mbits/second [downhill with a tailwind] doesn't matter if you can't read stuff off the drive that fast.) So you should be OK.

#3 of 3 Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Ken! I'm going to give it a try.

-Gary