What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not real surprising to be honest. Norv didn't want to give Jason Garrett any room to work and grow while Wade didn't have any issues there. Rivera would have been nice but he wants a 4-3 rather than the 3-4 they run in Dallas which Wade likes.

It was really Norv's job to screw up and he did.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think Phillips was about the only option they had, considering the situation. Parcells announced his retirement late, when some of the top candidates were already off the market. Then Jones compounded the problem by hiring Garrett with an undefined role, yet letting it be known that he was a possible future head coach of the Cowboys. That was going to scare off some other candidates.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Wade is an interesting choice for sure. He seems to "fit". He does have a winning record but I'm not what they call confident he can take the team to the next level(beyond 9-7).

Regardless his winning record can't be completely ignored.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm happier with Phillips than I would have been Turner.

Offensive coaches don't transition to head coach as well as defensive coaches - I also think coordinators have a larger influence on the D than the O. The O is all about the players.

I also prefer the 3-4 with the talent Dallas has.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not a real splashy hire but Wade is considered a fine Defensive minded Coach. I hope he does well...and as a Texan, will fit in back "home". :)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

Really? I think the New England Patriots prove this isn't true. There's no substitute for good coaching and where it can lead a team.

As a non Cowboys fan I like the Wade Phillips hire. They're a mediocre team right now that could be very successfull under the right leadership...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Pats have the second (or first, depending on your argument) best QB in the league. They also have had one of the best O-Lines for years, which is where the rubber meets the road It's a bit of a myth that the Pats have won with mediocre talent. While I readily agree that they have the best coach in the league...they were pretty loaded for some time there. Especially on defense.

In short, the best you can have with mediocre O talent is a mediocre offense. A great coach can scheme mediocre defensive talent into a decent defense, good talent into a great D, and great talent into the 02 Bucs. Just my opinion.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
The Pats have a mediocre offense, always have. Their lack of pro bowl selections each year prove this to be true. Tom Brady is arguably the number 1 or 2 best QB in the league, however he's just one man trying to get the ball to whoever he can. Brady puts up very average numbers because he has very average guys to throw the ball to. The Patriots score alot of points because they have a good game plan and a great coach.

I think the Cowboys have much more talent on offense than the pats do. The Cowboys lack physical size with their offensive line but they also have some real impressive talent in T.O (even despite the dropped balls) and terry Glenn. With a great coach they could go all the way. Wade Phillips isn't the guy who's going to take them there. Just my opinion.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Pro bowls are going to prove you have a great offense. The Pats are very much an unselfish team so stats which Pro Bowlers are elected on won't matter.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I agree my point was that the patriots put up good numbers as a team. On an individual level they don't have alot of superstars.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
ThomasC said:
Well, then...Marty Schottenheimer has been fired.

I guess they figured they might as well do a clean sweep since the offensive and defensive coordinators both left. Too bad Cam Cameron left as I would have liked to see him run that offense full steam ahead as the head coach.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well that is just wonderful news. I never like Marty and it's a hoot that he got fired but sincerely of the two the GM should have been fired instead.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
First post in this thread.

On the Dallas hire, lets call it the way it really is, after the Parcells era ended Jerry Jones was looking for a puppet coach that he could push around and who knew the right answer to the command of jump.

Not saying he's the only owner in the NFL or any sport for that matter looking for that kind of coach, but lets call it the way it really is.

The San Diego situation is even more interesting as they'd better have a replacement all lined up this close to the combine and the start of free agency or they're starting things out on the wrong foot.

As for the question someone asked on the number of Bengals to be arrested in the offseason, well This may be the most entertaining thing to keep track of all offseason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks