What's new

Subwoofer hookup to TX-SR504S questions (1 Viewer)

steve_jk

Agent
I have a Onkyo TX-SR504S receiver. I just picked up an used Energy ES-8 subwoofer. Right now I only have 2 old JBL N24 speakers as the fronts. No center or surrounds.

The ES-8 has two jacks on the back, "sub input", & 'x over input"
I assume I connect the 'pre out sub woofer' on the receiver to the 'sub input'
on the ES-8.

What's the 'xover input' used for and how would that be connected?
The ES-8 also has speaker connections. Do I need to use them?
The ES-8 has a low pass filter dial. Is that set in conjunction with the crossover setting in the receiver?

After it's all connected, should the front's be configured as 'small' or 'large'?
From internet searches I've seen both recommeded. I've seen articles on Polk's site that said to set the subwoofer on the receiver to 'off' and the speakers to 'large'.

So I'm a bit confused how to wire and configure the ES-8 with the N24 speakers into my SR504S. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The N24 specs are
8 ohm
75hz - 20khz freq response
3/4 inch high freq transducer
4 inch low freq transducer
3000hz xover freq

JohnW

Stunt Coordinator
You want to use your Onkyo to manage the bass and bypass the crossover on the sub.

You do not need to use the speaker level input. That's for connecting to receivers without sub out or pre-out. You can ignore the filter setting on ES-8 if you bypass the crossover on the sub.

Finally you definitely want to set your speakers to small and let the ES-8 handle all the bass. 4 in woofer won't produce much bass (if any) at all.

JohnW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the correction, Paul. I've edited the message accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks