What's new

Reciever for around $2-300 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Joshua
This will be used for a HT setup, which will be hooked up to my tv, ps3 (do i need an HDMI input?) cd player and speakers/subs.....What is the best value in your opinion. Please be as specific as possible because I know SQUAT about home audio!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
for a PS3, its best to have HDMI because of all the new surround formats that won't go out thru the optical output

(does your TV Have a HDMI input?)

check out the Panasonic XR57

Real Name
Joshua
Yeah, my tv has 2 HDMI inputs

So is HDMI the way to go?
Any good recievers that fit the mold for my price range?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you can stretch your budget to $320 then you can get the Onkyo SR604 which has 2 HDMI inputs and handles audio over HDMI up to 5.1 LPCM. You can get it for $320 from accessories4less.com an authorized dealer.

Real Name
Joshua
I can definitly stretch the $...is that the best one in my range pretty much??? I don't want to rush getting something and pass up the best one (that's how I ended up with Audiobahns for my 1st car audio subs!) so I want to make sure I make the best decision and it has the bells and whistles I need. (pretty mich just HDMI, I think everything else I need is basic)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi

You should also consider the Yamaha RX-V659, although it may cost somehwat more.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 659 lacks HDMI, a pretty important feature to the OP. The only other full-featured HDMI receiver in the range is the Marantz SR4001 for around $400.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Onkyo SR604 or the Marantz SR4001? Also what speakers/sub and display? Will the PS3 be your only DVD source? Just curious to the system you're putting together.

Thanks,

Stephen

Real Name
Joshua
I am going with the Onkyo.
The speakers are the 6t6's, found at edesignaudio. c o m (i cant post links yet)

I use their amps in my car and LOVE their quality. Plus, $500 for a pair from a name I trust is a great deal.

My TV is Mitsubishi 65" DLP Projection HDTV (WD-Y65) found on Circuit City's website.

The PS3 will be my only DVD source but I do want to buy a cd player so I can listen to music, WHILE playing my PS3.

I will add more speakers down the road but I think this is a great start (feel free to critique or post a nice pair of speakers for around the same price).

I know next to nothing but have been doing as much research as I can the past couple months. I am buying the reciever in a week or so, then in a month or so, the speakers.....

Real Name
Joshua
I plan on going with the Onkyo reciever...Everyone tells me that is a great brand to go with.

The speakers I plan on going with are these (http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=96)
This isn't in stone but I use their amps in my car and they are GREAT quality, great warranty, and great price, in all of their products...If someone knows a great deal on towers for $500 per pair, let me know!

My tv is this beauty (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mitsu...oductDetail.do)
I've had it for a few months and LOVE IT!!

The ps3 will be my only dvd source but I do plan on adding a cd player so I can listen to music while playing games.

Any input or suggestions is appreciated!! I've been trying to learn as much as possible the past month or so, so I can make the best decision when I buy...I plan on buying the reciever in a week or so.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Elemental Designs is a pretty solid company and the A6-6T6 look impressive for sure. Only problem I see is there are no matching center or bookshelfs/surrounds available.

You may also want to look at Home Theater Direct. Their Level 2 Towers are $399/pr, bookshelfs are $180/pr, and center is $120/pr.

One thing to consider w/ the PS3 as your only DVD source is DVD will only be displayed at 480p. The PS3 does not scale DVD to 1080p. You may want to consider something like the Oppo 981HD that scales DVD to 1080p or atleast a less expensive player that scales DVD to 1080i. This could also be used in-place of the CD player for music listening during gaming (with most players now reading MP3 cds as well).

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Oppo is a player... the PS3 will likely do a pretty good job with DVD, just not as good as might be possible if scaled to the display's resolution. If you're buying a CD player anyway you might-as-well atleast get an inexpensive scaling player instead (since the CD audio is being passed digitaly via PCM the player won't make a difference).

As for the ED bookshelfs and center, they are matched to each other but are not matched to the 6T6 towers... something to consider when putting together a 5ch system... timbre matching is very important, especially accross the front.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

Not so! What about the Sony STR-DG800 for the same price? It seems to fit the bill AND it up-converts composite, s-video and component to HDMI.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's an opinion widely held here and on other forums. Also, the DG800 is only HDMI Audio and Video PASSTHROUGH, same as the 1016TXv. This means no audio over HDMI and no analog-to-HDMI upconversion. Sounds like my original statement was pretty accurate...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks