Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

extras on a blu-ray version compared to a SE sd dvd?..

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 07:18 AM

Just wondering when a movie comes out on a regular 1-disc version, 2-disc se and then Blu-Ray. What extras does the Blu-Ray usually have? For example Flyboys came out on regular dvd in 2 versions...regular and 2-disc SE. Does the Blu-Ray have the extras of the SE 2-disc version?

I know its different with each release. But, is their a norm of what extras are usually on Blu-Ray releases?

Thanks!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 06 2007 - 07:45 AM

Depends on the studio. Warner always includes the same bonus material. Sony is a mixed bag depending on the release. MGM has had nothing but barebones BD releases, even when 2-disc SEs are available on DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 08:13 AM

unfortunately many BDs are lacking,
the ROCKY BD is completely bare bones when a 2 disc SE dvd was released at the same time.

Posted Image

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,036 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 06 2007 - 08:47 AM

Here I go again.

Fox/MGM charges more than any other studio for their catalog titles on BRD, however, the bonus material for the following discs is lacking to say the least. There are other titles with little or no bonus material, but with a $39.95 MSRP, I expect more bang for my bucks. Of course, Fox/MGM's great audio and video presentations notwithstanding.
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Hart's War
  • Men of Honor
  • Rocky
  • Courage Under Fire
  • Alien vs. Predator
  • Rising Sun
  • The Transporter
  • Transporter 2
  • Fantastic Four

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 09:07 AM

I'm certainly going to severely restrict my future Fox/MGM Blu-ray purchases until their prices drop.

A Bare-bones disc at $40 MSRP isn't going to cut it with me unless it's an all time favorite of mine. In fact I can think of several titles they offer right now that I'd pick up if the price was more reasonable.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
Fox/MGM charges more than any other studio for their catalog titles on BRD, however, the bonus material for the following discs is lacking to say the least.
We shouldn't be too surprised. They were the kings of double dipping on DVD. I don't condone this practice but never would buy a first run Fox title towards the end. I was ok when Peter Staddon spent his time here but I knew I could trust him but it appears he moved on from posting here and such, Fox quality seems to have taken a dip. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

Needless to say I want the bonus material available on the BR version if it was available on the regular dvd. I'm not paying $40 for better picture and sound and bare bones.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 05:50 AM

what irks me is that we are paying (relatively) big bucks for tomorrow's wal-mart bin cheapies. That's right.

Think back to 1997-1998. we were paying $25 to $45 for Terminator 2, Lethal Weapon, Under Siege, Batman etc. No features, basic package. Today those initial releases would not even get $5 at Wal-Mart, brand new.

That is what many of these releases are and I'll be darned if I will overpay for these.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying not to buy based on the fact that the price will go down. That would be silly, it always does. I am saying keep in mind the cost/value ratio. These will not only be old soon, they will have little value even to you. As someone mentioned if it is your all-time favorite then great. I am happy to pay even $50 for something I really want to have with the best pic and sound possible even with 0 extras. But not for the 2-3 DVDs and now HD/BD discs a week I want to buy.

I paid like $35 for my Halloween 2 disc set from Anchorbay and even if it sold now in stores for $5, I would still love that set and not regret the $35 spent. I paid over $200 (I think) to get the nightmare on Elm Street Boxset online from the US on release day. If I see it at a discount store for $25 tomorrow I still won't regret the purchase. In the last 7-8 years I have enjoyed the movies, the commentaries and the games so much. All worth it.

As much as I want Predator, Edward Scissorhands and others I will not pay $35-$45 for them now after all I've seen with DVD. These will be the barebone releases in the Cheapie bins 2-3 years from now selling for $10-$15 MAX and that is IF BD is still around. (and I think it will).
Give me Predator with Arnie commentary, minumum 45 minutes documentary (real one not EPK) and some deleted scenes (heck throw in some alternate version) some make up segments, test footage, you know what I mean. Do that and I'll pay $50 and not feel bad. All this is with a brand new HD transfer and DTS-MA assumed of course Posted Image
Rolando Avendano

My Collection