What's new

Hannibal Rising- Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh.C

Second Unit
I'm interested to get your takes on this film opening this Friday.

I haven't heard much buzz on the movie, but the trailer looks pretty good and I'm a fan of the series.

I loved Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, but didn't care much for Hannibal.

Anyone else planning on seeing this movie?

JC

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I rushed out and bought the book at Barnes & Noble literally when they opened, finished it in a couple hours and even though I wasn't expecting much after "Hannibal" I was taken aback by how truly awful the book was.

By all accounts the movie is incredibly "faithful to the book" which is a result of the fact that the book and screenplay were simultaneously written by Thomas Harris so I can't imagine how the movie would be anything but the complete disaster that the book was.

Of course, I'll see it, I'm the guy that owns all 4 cuts of "Manhunter" on DVD even though I don't really even like the movie all that much (which also means I'll almost definitely be buying the DVD to complete my Lecter collection, it's sad) but I don't know if my expectations have ever been any lower for any film in my entire life.

To me it looks like another "Hannibal". It appears to be well-acted and directed, it seems to be technically competent in areas such as production design, cinematography, etc. (and I'm assuming the editing and score are well-done as well) but that all of that is built upon an absolutely disgraceful novel/screenplay which completely outweighs said positive technical attributes.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Although there is not all that much depth.

AS I watched I couldn't shake similarities I felt to Batman Begins. This could be the story of Bruce Wayne if he took a different direction...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was slickly made but kind of dull. Despite the element of cannibalism in the story, it didn't feel like there was much of a connection between this young version of Hannibal and the guy you see in the Anthony Hopkins movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Bingo! And the Batman Begins comparisons are dead-on as well, though that flick is about 100X better than this stinker. I thought this was nothing more than a cheap vigilante revenge movie wrapped up in Hannibal garb. How could such a potentially fascinating story be made into something so dull and idiotic? There was so much they could have done with young Lecter but they blew it and made a by-the-numbers revenge fantasy.

There's nothing good about this movie...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think that the fact that there are only five postings in this thread as of Sunday afternoon speaks volumes about the box-office potential of this film...

Josh.C

Second Unit

Yes, which is why I started it. I have had mixed feelings about going, and now, I'm leaning towards "Renter".

It's a crying shame because The Silence of the Lams is close to being on my top 10 of all time. And the series had so much potential.

Oh well, I'm sure I will rent it and give it a chance. I think I'd rather save my theater funds for Bridge to Terabithia this Friday.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks