Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hannibal Rising- Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 04:05 AM

I'm interested to get your takes on this film opening this Friday.

I haven't heard much buzz on the movie, but the trailer looks pretty good and I'm a fan of the series.

I loved Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, but didn't care much for Hannibal.

Anyone else planning on seeing this movie?

JC

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 08:46 AM

I rushed out and bought the book at Barnes & Noble literally when they opened, finished it in a couple hours and even though I wasn't expecting much after "Hannibal" I was taken aback by how truly awful the book was.

By all accounts the movie is incredibly "faithful to the book" which is a result of the fact that the book and screenplay were simultaneously written by Thomas Harris so I can't imagine how the movie would be anything but the complete disaster that the book was.

Of course, I'll see it, I'm the guy that owns all 4 cuts of "Manhunter" on DVD even though I don't really even like the movie all that much (which also means I'll almost definitely be buying the DVD to complete my Lecter collection, it's sad) but I don't know if my expectations have ever been any lower for any film in my entire life.

To me it looks like another "Hannibal". It appears to be well-acted and directed, it seems to be technically competent in areas such as production design, cinematography, etc. (and I'm assuming the editing and score are well-done as well) but that all of that is built upon an absolutely disgraceful novel/screenplay which completely outweighs said positive technical attributes.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 05:56 AM

James Bs review. Not good, and if youre dead set on seeing this you may not want to read this....
http://www.reelviews...bal_rising.html

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 02:54 AM

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Although there is not all that much depth.

AS I watched I couldn't shake similarities I felt to Batman Begins. This could be the story of Bruce Wayne if he took a different direction...

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 12:45 AM

I thought it was slickly made but kind of dull. Despite the element of cannibalism in the story, it didn't feel like there was much of a connection between this young version of Hannibal and the guy you see in the Anthony Hopkins movies.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sheets
I thought it was slickly made but kind of dull. Despite the element of cannibalism in the story, it didn't feel like there was much of a connection between this young version of Hannibal and the guy you see in the Anthony Hopkins movies.

Bingo! And the Batman Begins comparisons are dead-on as well, though that flick is about 100X better than this stinker. I thought this was nothing more than a cheap vigilante revenge movie wrapped up in Hannibal garb. How could such a potentially fascinating story be made into something so dull and idiotic? There was so much they could have done with young Lecter but they blew it and made a by-the-numbers revenge fantasy.

There's nothing good about this movie...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,492 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 07:04 AM

I think that the fact that there are only five postings in this thread as of Sunday afternoon speaks volumes about the box-office potential of this film...

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSchulz
I think that the fact that there are only five postings in this thread as of Sunday afternoon speaks volumes about the box-office potential of this film...

Yes, which is why I started it. I have had mixed feelings about going, and now, I'm leaning towards "Renter".

It's a crying shame because The Silence of the Lams is close to being on my top 10 of all time. And the series had so much potential.

Oh well, I'm sure I will rent it and give it a chance. I think I'd rather save my theater funds for Bridge to Terabithia this Friday.

JC

Forum Nav Content I Follow