• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 03:15 AM

I figured out that [ALT] + [=] is how you "auto sum" in a cell with a sum hidden in it, instead of having to mouse up to the little "auto sum" task bar button. Now...

How do you JUMP DOWN to the next open cell DOWN a column? ("Enter" moves you down a cell, but the cells come up from below the screen boundary and you Enter, Enter, Enter and inevitably skip over the next blank cell because you don't see it coming from off-screen. How do you JUMP DOWN to the next blank cell?)

Can you change the FORMAT of text in a cell from a menu command, as you can in MSWord, to "Title Caps" or "Upper Case" or "Lower Case"?

Excel is made to make your brain boil, I think. Any help would... help. Posted Image

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#2 of 6 Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 03:44 AM

To jump down to the next empty cell use ... (End)(down arrow). If you are in an empty cell this jumps to the next full cell. Also works with (up arrow), etc.

As far as formatting text ... ctrl_U = underline, ctlr_B = bold, ctrl_I = italics. This is sames as MS Word. I dont believe there is a shortcut to change font case, but there are commands =UPPER() or =LOWER(), which convert he target cells

#3 of 6 WillG

WillG

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
How do you JUMP DOWN to the next open cell DOWN a column?

Hold down CTRL while pressing the down arrow key. That should stop the cursor at the cell right above the next open cell.

Quote:
Can you change the FORMAT of text in a cell from a menu command, as you can in MSWord, to "Title Caps" or "Upper Case" or "Lower Case"?

I'm not sure that you can do it right from a menu command but you can use a formulas to do those things. For Title Caps do =PROPER(cell number) for upper case do =UPPER(cell number) for Lower case do =LOWER(cell number)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#4 of 6 LS1 Sounds

LS1 Sounds

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 04:48 AM

Use Ctrl + Arrow keys to jump to the next open cell. Also works with Shift to select the range of cells.

Ctrl + 1 is the keyboard shortcut for Format Cells.

Also did you know that holding down Ctrl while scrolling with the mouse wheel zooms in and out? I use that one a lot. Posted Image

#5 of 6 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 05:07 AM

CTRL + [the down arrow] DOES NOT jump down to the next empty cell down the column. In fact, it merely jumps to the cell ABOVE the next empty cell. How do I get INTO THE EMPTY CELL without Enter, Enter, Enter, whoops! missed it, back arrow?

Can I?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#6 of 6 LS1 Sounds

LS1 Sounds

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 06 2007 - 05:48 AM

Not that I'm aware of. Let go of the Ctrl key and hit down arrow again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow