What's new

The Astronaut Farmer...worst ad campaign ever? (1 Viewer)

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil Garcia
It looks like a great story: a farmer tries to build a rocket to launch himself into outerspace...with the help of his kids and family. The beginning of the trailer had charm and a premise that was pretty interesting. NASA tries to intervene as people start to wonder...can this farmer joe actually build a rocket?

But then...

They show a bunch of townfolks staring upwards into the sky right before the police try to stop the launch...which seems to indicate that he did indeed lift off, thus ruining part of the surprise that the movie was building up to.

Not only that...in the TV trailers they ACTUALLY SHOW the rocket taking off from the barn, just in case we had any doubts what people were staring at before. Real nice Warner.

I still want to see it, and it looks like a great movie. Anyone else feel the same way?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i saw that trailer to phil, and thought the same exact thing.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Eh, Spider Man 3's trailer shows ......
Spider-Man killing the alien symbiot (black costume) with the church bells.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Did you know that in those little preview windows you get when you hover over the thread links, it shows the text in the spoiler boxes? :) Not your fault of course, but ironic.

More to the point, don't you remember that according to "market research", the American viewing public wants to "know what it's getting", so trailer monkeys routinely give away the whole damn movie, to show the most eye-catching scenes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

they only have 2 other movies.

northfork was decent but never saw or heard of the other.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
An even worse ad campaign would be, "Watch it like an astronaut: wear a diaper so you don't have to take a bathroom break!" :)

Hooligan

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Grishow
I thought the same thing -I downloaded the trailer to my PS3, watched it, was thinking it will be really good, then the end scenes ruined it for me. The best part would have been the build up to "does it actually work?", "will he lift off against NASA/GOV. orders/threats?"

I guess everything works out in the end. Thanks for saving me babysitting $$ and ticket and snacks $$, Warner.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
This has been an ongoing complaint of mine for years. There are movies that I just don't ever go watch because the trailer gives the whole thing away. If there's a movie I want to see, I try to stay away from trailers altogether.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
They must've taken a cue from the Zemeckis school of advertising: tell 'em everything!

The guys who made "Twin Falls Idaho" are behind "Farmer"? Thanks for the warning - I friggin' HATED "TFI" and will want to stay away from anything they touch! "Farmer" already looked bad, though...

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Robert Zemeckis has been known to do this with ALL of his movie trailers. Watch any of them... the ENTIRE film is there sometimes including the final shot of the film. His explanation is that atleast with his previews, he never misleads the audience in what they're getting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Although, it's basically has a Rocky storyline, the film works on quite a few levels. The gist of plot: Charlie Farmer wants to go on the biggest ride out there: to orbit the earth in his own constructed space capsule. He and his family face quite a few obstacles in their quest to make Charlie's vision a reality, but overall, there's an underlying spirit of optimism and dogged determination to fight for one's dreams.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I like "Twin Falls Idaho", "Northfork" and Billy Bob, but I didn't care for this film. While the performances were fine, I just didn't feel very engaged in his quest to follow his dream. I imagine children will be bored by this film.

I could tell by the trailer it wasn't my type of film, but I thought I'd give it a chance.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed this movie a lot. The story was fairly predictable but that didn't prevent me from getting caught up in the characters lives. I the performances were quite good all around. I like movies like this and casn't wait for the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks