-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who's loading up on prev-gen games?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,306 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 20 2001 - 02:49 AM

It's a good time (for me) to be an N64 gamer Posted Image Yesterday, I picked up Turok 2 (new), Jet Force Gemini (new), Tetrisphere (used), and WaveRace (used) for $45 total. I also saw Perfect Dark for $10.

It's going to be a fun Thanksgiving weekend!

Anyone else taking advantage of low prices on older systems? Or am I the only one not getting a XBOX/PS2/GameCube immediately?

#2 of 26 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 03:44 AM

Nope, I've been doing the same thing for the past year, but stocking up on PSOne games. I mean there are some great great deals on Ebay if you want to look for them.

Fear Effect: $15, Res Evil 3: $15, Res Evil 2: $10. There's a boatload of classic titles like that available for cheap if you want to hunt around. And not so cheap, mind you. But I decided to buy a PSOne after skipping the last generation of console wars, due to the price drop. No regrets. I've bought literally 20 classic PSOne titles since then, and most have been spot-on excellent.

If I could get an N64 for dirt cheap, I'd do the same thing, I suspect Posted Image.
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#3 of 26 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 04:22 AM

I picked up a Dreamcast when it hit the $100 range, and have been scooping up $8-20 games for the past couple of months. I'm not binging or anything, but it's orders of magnitude easier to get me to pay $20 for a game than $50.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 26 Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 05:21 AM

For some reason I can't bring myself to do this. I'm so jealous. Instead I just buy all the latest and greatest. I guess I'm addicted. Posted Image
-Andre F
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#5 of 26 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,306 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 07:03 AM

I imagine there's a wealth of cheap PSOne games out, especially with PS2 having been out for a year now.

I've had good luck with online auctions, but for N64 games it's easier to prowl the local stores; especially the used game stores.

And it's so much cheaper to be behind the trend (if not quite so cool) Posted Image

Now I just need to get my Wetrix game back from be former girlfriend. Though, that would mean I'd have to return her Beetle Adventure Racing.

Next up, probably Perfect Dark.

#6 of 26 Jeff R.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 08:53 AM

I still look for games for my original NES and SNES. I can usually find those for $5-$10 a piece and they are still a lot of fun. There are a few N64 games that I'll probably pick up also. Right now though, I've been glued to the Gamecube.

#7 of 26 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 09:16 AM

Hey, there's a used record/video/games store across the street from me with Atari 2600 & 7800 games (no boxes, sadly). Actually, I think they had Odyssey carts as well, but I don't know who they'd sell them to. Posted Image
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 26 Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 10:11 AM

I've bought over half of my DC games at big time cut prices.

Bargain shopping is the way to go!

Calvin

#9 of 26 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 11:34 AM

I was buying Sega Genesis games at clearance prices around the time the Saturn came out. I got lots of Sega CD games for under $5, and got a 32X for $20 and tons of games for that too. I wouldn't have bought any of these at full price, but they were worth getting cheap.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 26 AndyVX

AndyVX

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 03:47 PM

I've been looking for a few Dreamcast games lately. Now that the system is basically defunct, games are hella cheap(new and used)

I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Soul Calibur. I'm sure one will show up soon enough.

But with all the goodness that I'm getting out of my Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 I don't have much time for other games. So what I did was put the Dreamcast in my bedroom and attached it to an extra PC monitor I had + a decent set of PC speakers. Now, before I pass out at night I like to get a few laps of Daytona in...hopefully Soul Calibur soon.

Andrew
Andrew

#11 of 26 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,306 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 04:37 PM

I don't know if it's this way for other systems' games, but I found that prices for several N64 games varied a lot from store to store.

For example, Perfect Dark would be $30 one place, and $10 another. A more recent game ranged from $40 to $63. For several good games, it paid off to look around.

Now I'm hunting the net, making a list of good games for future bargain hunting. Posted Image

#12 of 26 JasonK

JasonK

Supporting Actor

• 678 posts

Posted November 20 2001 - 07:47 PM

I always keep my eyes peeled for the classics. I own around 80 NES games, my brother and I still play that from time to time. Same as the SNES. I haven't been looking too hard for PSX games, but I may do so in the future. The PS2 being backward-compatible is a big plus. I'll also start looking for DC games right around January, when all the stores start dumping leftover stock.
Jason-
Proud Recipient of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

XBOX Live Gamertag: Pudwacker

#13 of 26 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 03:18 AM

Me, I'm snapping up Dreamcast games left right & centre. Picked up Vanishing Point yesterday for $9.99 at a local EB, picked up Typing of the Dead for $20 during the week. I'm sitting at close to 50 titles, will hit 50 when a mate in the UK ships over some games he's picked up there for me: Stunt GP, Head Hunter & Le Mans 24.

Great time to be a DC owner Posted Image

Current task is to snap up the Bleem disks while I still can - got GT2, anyone seen Metal Gear Solid or Tekken 3 'in the wild' or know of a website with them instock?
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#14 of 26 Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 03:29 AM

Same with me - Dreamcast games. I just picked up Shenmue for $12, Rayman 2 for $18, MSR for $20 (searched long and hard for that deal) and Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense for $13.

I agree it's a great time to own a DC. Posted Image
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

#15 of 26 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 07:38 AM

You can get all 3 DC Bleem! discs at ebworld.com, but you have to search 'bleem' and 'bleemcast' to find them all.

#16 of 26 Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 07:43 AM

These guys are!

#17 of 26 Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 09:46 AM

Posted Image OH - MY - GOD! Posted Image
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Benjamin Franklin)

#18 of 26 James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 10:20 AM

Greame,

That is the coolest group of pics I've seen in a while. Which one is your room? Posted Image

#19 of 26 Dan B

Dan B

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 10:39 AM

Good lord! A couple of those guys are true hardcore gamers. I don't know if I pity them or envy them.* Posted Image Thanks for the link, Graeme.

Back to the topic, I have been loading up on PC games lately for some reason...especially older ones that I never got around to buying.

-Dan B
*not true...I totally envy them

#20 of 26 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,306 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 05:54 PM

Great Googly Moogly! How do you play that many games? Posted Image

Out of curiosity, how's the selection of PS1 games at local stores? The N64 section is minimal at all the retail chains (making room for GCN, surely). For future purchases, I'll probably stick with the used game stores.