Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A question about The Searchers on competing formats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:06 AM

I own the collector's edition of The Searchers, a beautiful DVD package. I also own the HD DVD of The Searchers, a magnificent way to view the movie. This disk also contains the features found on the recent DVD, including 2 beautiful new documentaries (shown in standard definition only, no surprise). Just to reiterate: I'm very happy with my HD player and disks, so far.

Now I have heard that the BluRay version of The Searchers contains more of the features, because it's a larger capacity disk.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? It might be reason enough for me to buy a BD player -- not to rebuy The Searchers again, but to be certain not to miss out getting the complete package of future releases.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:22 AM

The Searchers Blu Ray review:
http://www.dvdtown.c...archersthe/4148

They discuss what the extras are but to me it seems that the HD DVD version has more extras.
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:39 AM

Based on this review,I think it's the same on both formats. Either way, I think the prevailing wind is definitely blowing in BR's direction.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 05 2007 - 07:57 AM

Warner Home Video has a standing policy for bonus features that essentially says that the HD/BD will not have less bonus material than the standard DVD, and that HD and BD bonus features must be identical. This is why the HD titles with the In-Movie Experience have yet to appear on BD.

It's too bad other studios can't also have this same policy (I'm looking at you, Sony, MGM, and Lionsgate!).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 05 2007 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Warner Home Video has a standing policy for bonus features that essentially says that the HD/BD will not have less bonus material than the standard DVD, and that HD and BD bonus features must be identical. This is why the HD titles with the In-Movie Experience have yet to appear on BD.

It's too bad other studios can't also have this same policy (I'm looking at you, Sony, MGM, and Lionsgate!).
isnt mission impossible 3 on blu
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 05 2007 - 10:51 AM

Mission: Impossible 3 is Paramount, not Warner. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,247 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 05 2007 - 11:11 AM

i knew that.

Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 11:26 PM

About the upcoming "The Departed" HD-DVD Combo, will the extras be limited to what the single disk SD has, or will it have what the 2 disk SD has?
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Gekkou

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKay
About the upcoming "The Departed" HD-DVD Combo, will the extras be limited to what the single disk SD has, or will it have what the 2 disk SD has?
I'm quite sure it has the extras of the two-disc DVD.

Forum Nav Content I Follow