What's new

Cases and covers are worthless? (1 Viewer)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: "And stores can sell them (packages, DVD covers). Now, you can pay $ 5 to each movie (downloaded or recorded on a brand new disc), and another $ 5 to each case/cover."

Except the price you pay for the DVD case is negligible. The companies buy these things in bulk and it probably costs them a couple of cents for each case. If they sold DVD without the case you would still be paying the same price virtually.

I don't see what your problem is really. Lack of space? I have over 600 and I keep them on a rack that takes up very little floor space.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's also quite full. Besides, it's not the floor space it occupies, it's the wall space, which is not 'very little'.

---------------

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have mine on a shelf not unlike what Robin has. I keep them organized, clean, and only in Amaray cases. I keep extra cases to swap out when i buy something that is NOT an Amaray! I convert digipacks and snappers to Amaray or multidisc cases. I take pride in my collection (not that you dont Percebe) and want to show it off. If space becomes an issue to me i would thin out what i dont watch or want. I thin my collection out quite a bit already, actually. I have 950 movies and TV shows on DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've read comments on this board where it sounds like people are in tears when they see a security sticker on the very edge of the cover of a DVD they've just bought. These guys are the polar opposite of you. :)

Personally, I've got nearly 1700 discs and while space is an issue, I'm not going to be tossing the cases just to save space. If I was that pressed for space, I'd do what Rick said and sell some off before I'd throw the cases away.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Something is wrong with me. Am I the only one who gets a kick out of looking at other people's racks? :D I really do, it's not a joke!

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Part of the pleasure of collecting movies on DVD (or any video format for that matter) is the cover art. There's something to be said for pulling, oh say, Mildred Pierce off the shelf and seeing the cranberry hued Joan Crawford alongside "The kind of woman most men want - but shouldn't have!" instead of a clear jewel case with a DVD staring at you. Space is a problem for all collectors but worthless? Never! I love perusing the shelves with the multi colored spines staring back at me.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I don't know why you bother with the CD jewel cases either. Those things take up waaaaay too much space, and the hinge tabs are always breaking off of the covers so they fall apart.

Just keep only the disc itself, and you can stack them 1 on top of the other, in the corner. You can store thousands of them this way, taking up virtually no space at all!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'd never throw out my cases. I too take pride in my collection, and I enjoy showing it off. All of my movies are in the basement so space isn't much of an issue. I keep my TV/DVD sets on separate shelves which are affixed to my wall. Of course everything's alphabetized for easy access. I love hearing people comment about the number of movies I have. I couldn't see that happening if they were all in jewel cases.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I feel the same way, Thomas. And I also like looking at other collectors' DVD collections and how they're arranged. Keep 'em coming!

I also feel that the way the DVD is packaged when you buy it is the way it ought to be preserved and displayed. None of this cutting and downsizing or re-shaping for me. Everyone's talking about space, but I have a standard sized apartment with one average bedroom for my movie collection, and I am fitting between 600 and 1,000 DVDs in there, no trouble.

I use three tall bookcases, each standing alongside one another and taking up only one wall. I have five shelves on each bookcase, and each shelf holds about 88 DVDs. I accomplish this by having two rows of DVDs on each shelf - 44 discs in the front row, and 44 behind those. It may be a pain when I have to locate a title that's in the back row, but it's a matter of saving space and it's no big deal. By fitting 88 DVDs on a total of 15 shelves, that's room enough for over 1300 discs, and I've been collecting them since 1997 and haven't even come close to filling them. Even if I run out of these bookcases, I have more room elsewhere for another bookcase which can hold another 440.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I take pride in my collection. It's hard to proudly show off a collection of jewel cases with no cover art.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have 1800 dvds on bookshelves covering an entire wall. As many here have stated part of the whole collecting thing is the packaging, the poster art that can get you in the mood to watch a film, it's just not the same thing pointing at a spindle of discs sitting next to the flower pot and telling people "thats my movie collection right there, the tv stuff's in the drawer." Where's the respect? :)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I'm not throwing away my cases any time soon, but now that I have over 1000 DVDs plus TV box sets, the space is really becoming an issue. I moved this year and had four or five boxes filled with nothing but DVDs, and they were probably the heaviest thing I moved.

I'd really like to switch to the slimline cases but it would take a lot of work and expense. Instead I've decided to thin the collection a bit and curb my buying in the future. Having so many movies is sort of starting to frustrate me anyway.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think that's the best move when the collection gets too crazy. I'm in my 40s now and I don't know if any of you older guys have thought about this, but there comes a time when you do realize that even if you live to be 90, you can't ever watch everything you already own even one time, let alone over and over!

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I've been throwing my cases routinely for two or three years now. Discs go in binders. I do save the art, it gets tossed in a dedicated box.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I put all my discs in binders and toss the cases. I've found I get the same feeling looking through a binder at disc art that I did looking at a shelf of cases. Never have to worry about space and is even portable, although I haven't had reason to take it anywhere.

For people who keep the shelves full of cases. Make sure they're covered from theft in your insurance. They're a high priority for thieves due to the ease of selling them and difficulty to trace them. They can break in, fill a bag with DVD's, and leave within 2 minutes. Even if you have an alarm the cops will not get there in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks