5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 mgh

mgh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi All,

Still trying to come to some decision for a display. I am kind of trying to talk myself into a projector (Sanyo Z5), but can't seem to get around what I see as complications.

1. Cables: Room is finished, and the length of the room means projector would be in the middle somewhere. Either ceiling (not sure if lens can clear the ceiling fan) or on a table, I have cables to try and disguise the best I can.

2. Bulb replacement cost. $300 every 2 years or so? Bummer.

3. What is it like watching TV on a 100 dia. screen? Is the wife really going to want to watch Dr. Phil on a screen that size, or her favorite Law and Order?

I love the idea of the big screen that the projectors give you. In store a 50 inch plasma looks big, but when I put something on my wall to represent what a 50 inch would look like, it isn't very big. That said, the plasma seems to be more practical. This room will be more or less dedicated for entertainment, but as you can gather, not full out dedicated home theater only. It will be music, movies, and hopefully TV.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

#2 of 6 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted February 02 2007 - 06:27 PM

I love my projector. HDTV looks great on a projector. But standard defintion looks bad. We just use our projector for HD and DVD's. The cables can be hidden with wire-mold, behind crown molding, etc. Bulb cost is minimal in my opinion. $300 over 2 years is $3 a week(give up 1 cup of coffee or a couple sodas a week). Dr. Phil will look that much bigger and fatter on the big screen. Remember, a 100" screen isn't twice the size of a 50", it's 4 TIMES THE SIZE.

#3 of 6 Robert_J

Robert_J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted February 03 2007 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh
3. What is it like watching TV on a 100 dia. screen? Is the wife really going to want to watch Dr. Phil on a screen that size, or her favorite Law and Order?
Dr. Phil is syndicated in standard definition (or at least the last I past by his show in the guide). Depending on your source for TV programming (cable, satellite, antenna), blowing it up that large will not look very good. I have only watched a couple of standard definition shows on my 103" projector system. DirecTV's compression artifacts are horrible and much more visible than what I see on my 55". L & O is in HD. Excellent picture quality most of the time and great to watch on a 100+" screen.

-Robert

#4 of 6 Shane Harg

Shane Harg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted February 03 2007 - 01:01 AM

I use my projector (Panasonic AE900) for home theater only and I have a 32" TV off to the side, which I use for small-time entertainment (e.g. TV, my 3-yr old's cartoons, video games, etc.). In one year's time, I will have only put about 300 hours on the bulb and I run it in low-power mode. At that rate I won't really be needing to replace the bulb for another 5 years or so. I'll likely buy a new projector by then.

Many of todays projectors are extremely versatile and are designed to be just as at home on a coffee table as they are suspended from a ceiling. They sell designer moldings for hiding cables and you would actually be surprised at how cheap it is (call around - they will usually quote you "man-hours") to have a couple of guys come out and run the necessary cable either through your walls or along your floorboards.

Yes, setting up a projection-based home theater can be more of a pain than simply hanging a flat panel TV on a wall, but I can almost guarantee that you will find it worth the extra time (and perhaps $$) spent. With the a good surround sound system to match, the impact will astound you!
"BE the miracle!"

#5 of 6 DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted February 03 2007 - 01:14 AM

I bought a 55 in Hi-Def "big-box" rptv almost three years ago. As the saying goes, if I only knew then what I know now I would have done things differently. Now I wish I got a projector and a cheap 25 inch color TV. This is just my opinion, but a 100 inch Dr. Phil is worthless (and terrifying). It really depends on what you watch. You could keep the projector for movies, sporting events and good TV. And then watch the news and other stuff on a regular TV. This would extend your bulb life.

#6 of 6 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted February 03 2007 - 09:53 AM

Bulb cost alone turned me off TV on my projector. The extra money for bulbs could be put to use purchasing a 32" TV.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users