What's new

Captain N: The Game Master Missing Episodes? (1 Viewer)

Geoff_G

Auditioning
I know a lot of us old school Nintendo geeks were looking forward to this campy, but woefully dated cartoon series, but IGN posted their review of the set tonight, and noted that although the set is called "The Complete Series", it is missing all the episodes from the Third Season. Although this only surmounts to about seven episodes, it is still disappointing nonetheless. Any word from Shout! Factory about why these episodes were not included? Here is the link to the review to those who wish to read it

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/760/760506p1.html

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That's why I decided not to get this. If you're going to call it The Complete Series, include all the episodes.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Normally, I'd be very upset over missing seven episodes. I skipped The Tick's first season because of one missing episode, so the following defense isn't from some kind of "everything's cool, man" hippy...

Technically, the last seven episodes weren't part of the same series. The first year, Captain N was a 30-minute stand-alone show with 13 episodes. The second year, while the network promoted the show as part of a "Captain N and the Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3" hour, the show continued to be a 30-minute stand alone show (this time with 14 episodes). The next year, however, the show dropped to 15-minutes with production actually combining the show with Super Mario World.

This DVD collection includes 26 of the 27 half-hour episode (the missing one being a clip show that contributed nothing original). The seven 15-minute episodes were produced under a different name "Captain N and the New Super Mario World" and will likely be released on DVD as such. I predict Shout will release "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3: The Complete Series" (I always hated that name) later this year and we'll see "Captain N and the New Super Mario World: The Complete Series" sometime early next year.

In other regions, Australia specifically, it was handled this way as well. SMB3 was released as its own series without any mention of Captain N, but SMW came out with the final episodes of Captain N included. For anyone interested in importing, the seven Captain N episodes are on Super Mario World Volume 1 & Volume 2. You'll need Volume 3 as well if you want the rest of the Mario episodes.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Sorry for placing this in a Captain N thread, but wasn't there another cartoon that came on shortly after Capt. N that had a group of teenagers in a band that were sucked into some cartoon MTV like world where the main villain was called the "Master Blaster" and the teens were constantly riding around in some funky train or car looking for a way back to their own world? Sorta like a MTV version of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Thanks. Been driving myself crazy trying to remember that one.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Brain Ward, who worked on this set, said this: "Unfortunately, we're not allowed to split [the third season of Captain N and Super Mario World] up. Otherwise, I would have included the third season in the upcoming box set. I fought long and hard for it."

He also said that the legal rights of Yoshi are holding up a SMW release, so we might not see that for a long time if ever. There's always importing though...

The good news is that The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 will be out in the form of a three-disc set in late-Spring or Summer of this year.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/50/thread.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks