Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cold FX

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 NikkiJo

NikkiJo

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted February 01 2007 - 07:28 AM

Anyone know about this cold-fx stuff? Its supposed to boost your immune system so you dont get sick. Does it really work? My friends take it but should i take it? I dont want to get a cold or worse the flu. ugh

#2 of 15 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 01 2007 - 06:55 PM

Doesn't that sit on the shelf by the snake oil? Posted Image There are 3 or 4 different FX medicines out there for different ailments but I doubt they are any more effective than Nyquil and the like.
Its supposed to boost your immune system so you dont get sick.
You know what else boosts your immune system? A healthy diet, plenty of exercise, a good night's sleep and washing your hands often during flu season never hurts. Best of all, they're all affordable. Posted Image

#3 of 15 Colton

Colton

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 12:59 AM

This stuff is like Emergen-C?

- Colton

#4 of 15 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,173 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 02 2007 - 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiJo
Anyone know about this cold-fx stuff? Its supposed to boost your immune system so you dont get sick. Does it really work? My friends take it but should i take it? I dont want to get a cold or worse the flu. ugh
Get the annual flu vaccine?

#5 of 15 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiJo

I actually have a bottle of the stuff on my desk at work right now. Posted Image

I've been using it through the winter, as have a bunch of my coworkers. So far, so good - I've resisted getting the various bugs that end up spreading through the office like wildfire. Personally I recommend it. It claims to boost your immune system, and for me it seems to be doing just that.

#6 of 15 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted February 02 2007 - 11:13 AM

My fiance and I traveled together heading home last December. She took some airborne and I did not... I ended up getting sick. Boosting your immune system temporarily with vitamins is (IMO) a good idea. Lots of vitamin C when you are sick also helps the recovery process. BTW, the generic stuff tastes disgusting... airborne has a better flavor.

I haven't tried anything that you're supposed to take every day. Regular vitamins, exercise and washing your hands would probably be a better method...

#7 of 15 Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 03:48 PM

Speaking of Cold FX...this item was in a snopes.com e-mail newsletter a while back:

http://www.snopes.co...rugs/coldfx.asp

#8 of 15 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted February 03 2007 - 12:55 AM

The 'active' ingredient is zinc. I have taken it for years in tablet form with success. I wouldn't reccomend taking it year round - I only take it when someone near me develops symptoms and stop after the disease has made its rounds. It usually skips me or lasts much less time.

#9 of 15 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L
The 'active' ingredient is zinc. I have taken it for years in tablet form with success. I wouldn't reccomend taking it year round - I only take it when someone near me develops symptoms and stop after the disease has made its rounds. It usually skips me or lasts much less time.

The active ingredient is actually a natural extract of ginseng, but yeah, I agree, it works very well. It's just now being made available in the States!

#10 of 15 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby_B
The active ingredient is actually a natural extract of ginseng, but yeah, I agree, it works very well. It's just now being made available in the States!

You're right - I was thinking of Cold-EZ

#11 of 15 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 12:03 AM

A search of the term, "cold-fx" in Pubmed gives four citations.

In one study, published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, a double-blind, placebo controlled study was done on 43 adults, 65 years or older, living in a community, over a period of 4 months. After the first month, all subjects took a flu shot. No differences were found in the first two months. In the last two months, those taking the preparation reported both fewer and less acute respiratory illnesses.

A second citation indicates the Cold-FX does not lead to positive results for doping in athletes that take the substance. That was published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. This suggests that Barry Bonds can take this with no fear of testing positive.

In the International Immunopharmacology journal, a study of Cold-FX was performed on mice and found that it stimulated the production of interleukin and interferon in mice spleens.

In the American Journal of Chinese Medicine, found that mice spent less time licking and their paws, which had been intentionally injured with formalin.

So, we have one study, done on seniors, and a very small group at that, that seems to be the basis for any claims of efficacy by the manufacturer. Make of this what you will.

#12 of 15 Joe S

Joe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 03:55 AM

Haven't heard of this product before, but I've been taking Olive Leaf Extract this Winter and so far I've avoided a cold/flu/sore throat. When I felt a problem coming on (sore glands in the throat) I doubled the dose I normally take and the symptoms went away in a day or so. I usually am susceptible to sinus/throat infections, so I believe in Olive Leaf Extract and a little Oil of Oregano to kill things off.

#13 of 15 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 02:55 PM

I've used it... but only once I started getting sick. It DID seem to speed my symptoms, compared to friends/family that had similar bugs... but that could be a placebo effect. Regardless... it SEEMED to help. Make of that what you will. Lots of Canadians swear by the stuff...

#14 of 15 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted February 16 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hey guys. Here's a little update for you.

Turns out Health Canada has been studying the stuff, and going through 10 years of clinical research and seven clinical trials. Health Canada has judged that the stuff does what it claims, and they've issued a proper product license and so forth for it.

You can read all about it here: http://www.canada.co....640194&k=93503

#15 of 15 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted February 23 2007 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Whalen
Hey guys. Here's a little update for you.

Turns out Health Canada has been studying the stuff, and going through 10 years of clinical research and seven clinical trials. Health Canada has judged that the stuff does what it claims, and they've issued a proper product license and so forth for it.

You can read all about it here: http://www.canada.co....640194&k=93503

That's great to hear. I like this stuff and am glad to know that it really is doing what I think it does.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow