Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HSU OR SVS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   RichardJB

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 12:26 AM

I am just about to pull the trigger and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on which sub would suit my room best. I am down to the:

HSU VTF-3 MK3 FOR $649.00 or

SVS PB12-NSD FOR $599.00

Room is 22x18 with 12 ft ceiling.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   BrianTwig

BrianTwig

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:43 AM

As an SVS owner, I have to suggest SVS. I am just thrilled with mine.

But others can actually provide technical data and reasons to go one way or the other. I can't. Just love mine.

But since the HSU is a little more expensive, maybe bump your SVS budget a little and go with the 20-39PCi or 16-46PCi if you are ok with a cylinder sub.
My budget system constrained by WAF

JVC HD-ILA HD-52G787
Panasonic DVD-S52K
Marantz SR5600Marantz CC4300NHT IW3s all aroundPureAV PF60SVS PB12-NSD/2

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 02:40 AM

You really can't go wrong with either. Both have a great rep.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 31 2007 - 03:55 AM

I'll second that. You won't go wrong with either one.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 03:55 AM

Hi Richard

With all due respect to those who have and will recommend the SVS...I would just jump all over the HSU VTF-3MKIII...much more porting..probably at least as large a cabinet...possibly lower group delay... I have 2 VTF-3HOs plus Turbos...I haven't even gotten around to attaching the Turbos...and I can't begin to use the full output of them...very highly recommend the VTF-3MKIII at the introductory price if it is still available.

PS I have an SVS 20-39 PCi which I like but the VTF-3MKIII is more attractive, especially to the women.

PPS Especially for such a large room!

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 12:27 PM

You might want to check if you care or not, but I believe that SVS model is made (assembled) in America. Hsu, is not.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hi Kevin

With all due respect...can you please tell me where SVS is sourcing its cabinets from...I know they used to be made in the USA...however, I know that cabinet making in the US got to be a very expensive proposition...a lot of internet companies are sourcing their cabinets in China like AV123 and a whole lot of others...please keep in touch. The world is getting flatter and flatter.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Robb Roy

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur S
Hi Kevin

With all due respect...can you please tell me where SVS is sourcing its cabinets from...I know they used to be made in the USA...however, I know that cabinet making in the US got to be a very expensive proposition...a lot of internet companies are sourcing their cabinets in China like AV123 and a whole lot of others...please keep in touch. The world is getting flatter and flatter.

I'm pretty certain their textured black cabinets are made in the US, and the others in China. I'm also pretty certain all their drivers are built in the US, and all their subs are assembled in the US. The US has become more and more service oriented with manufacturing jobs going overseas, but for those who like to see manufacturing jobs created in the US, it can still be an important issue. Will it always be that way? Who knows? It is indeed a global economy, and competitive pricing strategies no doubt put lots of pressure on companies with thin profit margins.

-Robb

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 08:25 AM

HSU, just because of the past history of the companies if nothing else. But the VTF-3.3 is a better sub anyway.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Roy
I'm pretty certain their textured black cabinets are made in the US, and the others in China. I'm also pretty certain all their drivers are built in the US, and all their subs are assembled in the US. The US has become more and more service oriented with manufacturing jobs going overseas, but for those who like to see manufacturing jobs created in the US, it can still be an important issue. Will it always be that way? Who knows? It is indeed a global economy, and competitive pricing strategies no doubt put lots of pressure on companies with thin profit margins.

-Robb

Thanks for helping me understand where SVS is sourcing their subwoofer cabinets with...I have taken a look at your system and I am interested in the Rane PE 17. Thanks Rob

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Robb Roy

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 01:21 AM

You can find out more about the Rane at http://www.rane.com/pe17.html.

For those who don't want to mess with RTA software, mics, phantom power, etc., (not that you *need* those things to use the Rane) I'd recommend a long look at the BFD. That said, I did buy a BFD, renamed it the BFU, returned it, and bought the Rane.

-Robb

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   aht3

aht3

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 01:49 AM

Richard,
Unless you are looking for a lotta lotta bass, take a look at the VTF 2 MK 3. It is good for rooms up to 4500^3' I have one in a room that is too small and I can barely get the knob past the first mark on the dial. without it being just too much bass. It runs for about $469. Don't let the 250w fool you. Plus you can always send it back in 30 days. I have not experience with the SVS but I have heard good things about them. You can also check the Craig sub reviews on AVS. He did a lot of hard work putting his data together. SVS and HSU fared pretty well.

Enjoy
Pioneer VSX 94THX
JBL Studio L890s Up Front
JBL Studio LC2 at Center
JBL Studio L820s Surrounds
JBL Studio L820s RearsHSU VTF2-MK3 SubSony 46" XBR3 LCD

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi Richard,

If you are still shopping please feel free to email SVS at Sales@svsound.com or me personally at TomV@svsound.com for some "one on one" consultation regarding the best subwoofer for your particular needs.

Tom V.
SVS

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_cyberbri
HSU, just because of the past history of the companies if nothing else. But the VTF-3.3 is a better sub anyway.

Not sure what you mean by that. Both companies have an excellent track record.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:28 AM

According this review in The Absolute Sounds the VTF-3 MK3 is even better than the SVS PB-12 Ultra let alone the PB12-NSD. The VTF-3 MK3 hit 109dB@20Hz vs. the Ultra 106dB@20Hz. You can also add the turbo and as the reviewer states will allow the VTF-3 MK3 to hit 112 dB@20Hz which is a new record for subs he's tested. For $649 you can't go wrong. http://www.hsuresear....JanFeb2007.pdf

I also found this intersting though I hope it's not true http://forums.audioh....ad.php?t=29188

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:58 AM

Very interesting. Unfortunate, but interesting.

Sounds somewhat familiar. Now we'll see various employees, denying of course they work for a company, still coming across pushing their products at every opportunity.

Sounds very familiar.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Stan Marcewicz

Stan Marcewicz

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Allen
Very interesting. Unfortunate, but interesting. Sounds somewhat familiar. Now we'll see various employees, denying of course they work for a company, still coming across pushing their products at every opportunity. Sounds very familiar.

Hey, don't leave out the unfortunate behavior of some Forum owners.

Some (haven't seen it here) make wild claims about people that simply aren't true! Quite reckless, irresponsible and unaccountable.

Stan (I'm sjmarcy at aol dot com...which may help some understand my point, LOL)

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 07:35 AM

After reading the above link, I think I'm missing something. It reads to me as if SVS complained to Audioholics about (perceived) endorsements for other brands, and as a result were banned themselves...?!? Also, what does the bit about an Audioholic staff member referring to a member as a "fanboy" have to do with the staff of SVS?
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 08:46 AM

Vader I'll give it my best shot.
Quote:
Quoted From Audioholics Admin Clint DeBoer: As a company, however, their marketing methods have gotten out of control - at least on our site. If you'll notice, there is likely not a single subwoofer thread on this forum that doesn't have people talking about SVS. There is a reason for this and it has to do with the marketing methods of SVS as a company. They freely admitted to us that forum participation of their staff and SVS owners is the driving force behind their marketing strategy.
In this paragraph he implies that the SVS staff frequents the forums to promote SVS products and I'm guessing without acknowledging they are SVS staff members so you'd think it was just a regular guy raving about how great his SVS sub was when in actuality it's a staff member.

Quote:
Quoted From Audioholics Admin Clint DeBoer: This is actually kind of intelligent - until it is abused. It is being abused on our site - to the point that we were being told that attempting to keep review threads on topic for non-SVS products was basically unacceptable behavior on our part. We were being told how to behave on our own site.
In this paragraph he says SVS tried to tell him to only keep SVS threads on topic and if a thread was positive towards another sub company Audioholics shouldn't keep the thread on topic because it hurts SVS sales.

For the most part he's saying SVS was trying to tell him how to run Audioholics because they were an advertiser and he didn't like being told how to run his company.

Quote:
Quote from Audioholics Admin Clint DeBoer:We attempted to let it go and redirect threads as needed, but a recent discussion made it clear that this was unacceptable. We STILL were going to quietly let them go on their way until a recent post appeared on our forums regurgitating the exact conversation SVS had with Gene recently.

Note the post count. This was written by someone who had a direct conversation with our contact at SVS. That pretty much did it for us.
He then implies that someone spoke to SVS and was sent to Audioholics to question the very same things that Audioholics spoke to SVS about earlier. So it sounds like he figures it's too unlikely that someone would pose the same questions unless they were privy to the SVS/Audioholics conversation so he's assuming the person is a friend or employee of SVS sent to raise those questions on the forum.

That's my take on the those paragraphs. Is it true? Is it false? I don't know, but if it's false SVS has a major slander lawsuit on their side.

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Brian_cyberbri

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Garcia
Not sure what you mean by that. Both companies have an excellent track record.

I sent you a PM.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow