-

Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Consumer Reports: Some More Real Surprises...


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Arthur S

Arthur S

    Screenwriter

  • 2,572 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 1999

Posted January 30 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hi Everyone

In the March 2007 issue of Consumer Reports there is an extensive amount of material on HD TVs...they tested 100 different models...I don't have time to post all of their findings...if you want to see the details, you can either buy the March 2007 issue or subscribe to the on-line service for $6 for 30 days and cancel any time you want...I am going to post what I think are the highlights:

Best 50+ inch Plasma

Panasonic TH-58PX600U $4,800
Hitachi 55HDX99 $4,500
Panasonic TH-50PX600U $3,000
Pioneer PDP-5070 $3,500
Panasonic TH-50PX60U $2,600

Please note that this is not the complete list...Right now you can get the Panny TH-50PX60U for about $2,000 from CC or BB. The 58 and 50 inch Pannys are Quick Picks.

Large Screen Rear Projectors

Toshiba 62HM196 $2,500 DLP
Toshiba 62MX196 $2,900 DLP
Toshiba 56HM66 $1,800 DLP
Sony KDS-55A200 $2,700 LCos

If I have time, I may add more...LCD is hard to post...please either pick-up the March edition for the complete 13 page story, or subscribe to the on-line service for 30 days.

#2 of 17 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

    Screenwriter

  • 1,131 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 10 2006

Posted January 30 2007 - 09:29 AM

I agree with the Plasma picks, but strongly disagree with the selection for Rear Projection. Toshiba DLP's are being pulled from the shelves in record numbers here in Canada due to serious quality control issues, mostly related to malfunctioning color wheels. FutureShop, Canada's largest electronics retailer, has pulled Toshiba DLP's from their shelves altogether. I'm not sure if these issues have been resolved?

Arthur, I'd be very interested in their LCD picks if you have the time to post.

#3 of 17 Arthur S

Arthur S

    Screenwriter

  • 2,572 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 1999

Posted January 30 2007 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Goldberg
I agree with the Plasma picks, but strongly disagree with the selection for Rear Projection. Toshiba DLP's are being pulled from the shelves in record numbers here in Canada due to serious quality control issues, mostly related to malfunctioning color wheels. FutureShop, Canada's largest electronics retailer, has pulled Toshiba DLP's from their shelves altogether. I'm not sure if these issues have been resolved?

Arthur, I'd be very interested in their LCD picks if you have the time to post.

Hi AG

The ratings are based on their tests, and not on reliability issues. According to CR, their are no long term reliability data for any of the newer technologies, but he trends for flat-panel LCD and plasma TVs are encouraging...don't think I will have time to post the LCD picks, please consider either buying the magazine or subscribing for a month for US $6.

Thanks for contributing to this post.

#4 of 17 Father John A

Father John A

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 146 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 22 2002

Posted January 30 2007 - 02:39 PM

Personally I don't give much weight to CR. I've never found them to be very accurate. In the early 80's they routinely picked Toshiba (I think) over Sony XBRs. To anyone in the know, there was simply no contest, everyone wanted an XBR.

LCD 40" and larger category results:

JVC LT-40FN97 $2700
Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2 $3000
Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR2 $3800
Toshiba Cinema Series REGZA 42LX196 $2300
JVC LT-40X787 $2000
Olevia 542i CR Best Buy $1300
Fr. John

#5 of 17 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter

  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
The ratings are based on their tests, and not on reliability issues.
That is true. If I didn't realize this, CR would have lost every ounce of their credibility with me, because of them putting Panasonic on top! Panasonic looks good, and works good, for a little while. But it has been my experience that it doesn't last, considering how much it costs. I had a knock down, drag out, with Panasonic, on the phone one time. I told them I'd never own another one of their products! I won't recommend Panasonic to anyone, except someone I don't care for. If you ever see me recommend Panasonic to someone, you'll know that I have no use for that person....... Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#6 of 17 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

    Producer

  • 6,316 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 09 1999
  • Real Name:Gregg Loewen
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:30 AM

hi guys
Panasonic makes an excellent plasma display. Consider the industrial over the consumer models.
For increased dollars consider their 1080p offerings. Also consider the Elite line of Pioneer plasmas.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current


#7 of 17 Michael TLV

Michael TLV

    Screenwriter

  • 2,909 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 16 2000
  • Real Name:Michael Chen
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:37 AM

Greetings

Find me 10 people with horror stories on Panasonic reliability and I will find you 10 from Sony ... 10 from Toshiba ... 10 from Samsung ... and so on.

Some people just have bad luck with certain brands.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com


#8 of 17 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

    Screenwriter

  • 2,701 posts
  • Join Date: May 25 2003
  • Real Name:Ed
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 31 2007 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

Find me 10 people with horror stories on Panasonic reliability and I will find you 10 from Sony ... 10 from Toshiba ... 10 from Samsung ... and so on.

Some people just have bad luck with certain brands.

Regards

I'm sure. Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#9 of 17 Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

    Screenwriter

  • 1,868 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 07 1998

Posted February 01 2007 - 05:53 AM

FYI: On Oct. 11, 2006 some of Consumer's 2006 TV Reports INFO was in this thread ... New Consumer Reports Ratings: Some Real Surprises! by ... Arthur S! Posted Image

Maybe, this thread, ... should be linked up to that original thread??? Posted Image

Then again, ... maybe not!

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#10 of 17 rcoates777

rcoates777

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 07 2007

Posted February 09 2007 - 01:34 AM

Gang -

I have a love-hate relationship with Consumer Reports. On the one hand if you don't know much about a product it's not a bad place to start but on the other they sure seem like a bunch of whiners and little old ladies.

Having said that and given that I don't own an HDTV (yet) I do devour anything that I can read on the topic.

When I read the recent (March 2007) HDTV comparo I was surprised that they didn't test a single Samsung Rear Projection model and that they included FOUR Toshibas. I've been very impressed with the Samsung DLPs that I've seen and it's not exactly an "off brand" so I wrote them and asked them "what gives?" To their credit after a few days they did respond. Here's a snippet from the response:

We were given information that three Samsung rear projection TVs models
HL-S5679W, HL-S5087W and HL-S5687W that appeared in our December ratings
were discontinued and were removed from our subsequent report. However, we
were informed today that the information we received was incorrect and they
are still available for purchase.
(Ed. note: My bad.)
-------
Samsung must be livid that their products were omitted from this test which will no doubt impact thousands of buying decisions and I don't blame them.

#11 of 17 Dave H

Dave H

    Producer

  • 5,250 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 13 2000

Posted February 09 2007 - 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777
Gang -

I have a love-hate relationship with Consumer Reports. On the one hand if you don't know much about a product it's not a bad place to start but on the other they sure seem like a bunch of whiners and little old ladies.

Having said that and given that I don't own an HDTV (yet) I do devour anything that I can read on the topic.

When I read the recent (March 2007) HDTV comparo I was surprised that they didn't test a single Samsung Rear Projection model and that they included FOUR Toshibas. I've been very impressed with the Samsung DLPs that I've seen and it's not exactly an "off brand" so I wrote them and asked them "what gives?" To their credit after a few days they did respond. Here's a snippet from the response:

We were given information that three Samsung rear projection TVs models
HL-S5679W, HL-S5087W and HL-S5687W that appeared in our December ratings
were discontinued and were removed from our subsequent report. However, we
were informed today that the information we received was incorrect and they
are still available for purchase.
(Ed. note: My bad.)
-------
Samsung must be livid that their products were omitted from this test which will no doubt impact thousands of buying decisions and I don't blame them.

Ouch, indeed.

#12 of 17 rcoates777

rcoates777

    Auditioning

  • 6 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 07 2007

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoates777
When I read the recent (March 2007) HDTV comparo I was surprised that they didn't test a single Samsung Rear Projection model and that they included FOUR Toshibas. I've been very impressed with the Samsung DLPs that I've seen and it's not exactly an "off brand" so I wrote them and asked them "what gives?" To their credit after a few days they did respond. Here's a snippet from the response:

We were given information that three Samsung rear projection TVs models
HL-S5679W, HL-S5087W and HL-S5687W that appeared in our December ratings
were discontinued and were removed from our subsequent report. However, we
were informed today that the information we received was incorrect and they
are still available for purchase.
(Ed. note: My bad.)
-------
Samsung must be livid that their products were omitted from this test which will no doubt impact thousands of buying decisions and I don't blame them.

Someone reminded me that it might have been someone at Samsung who mistakenly provided the erroneous information. If so, then I'm sure there is a job opening there!

#13 of 17 NMLobo

NMLobo

    Auditioning

  • 1 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 07 2006

Posted February 13 2007 - 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John A
Personally I don't give much weight to CR. I've never found them to be very accurate. In the early 80's they routinely picked Toshiba (I think) over Sony XBRs. To anyone in the know, there was simply no contest, everyone wanted an XBR.

LCD 40" and larger category results:

JVC LT-40FN97 $2700
Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2 $3000
Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR2 $3800
Toshiba Cinema Series REGZA 42LX196 $2300
JVC LT-40X787 $2000
Olevia 542i CR Best Buy $1300

That was then. Today XBR users are reporting all kinds of backlight/mura problems. I believe they have even begun a class action. I am surprised the Sony's rated this high now.

#14 of 17 Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

    Screenwriter

  • 2,990 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 2001
  • Real Name:Rich Gallagher
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted February 14 2007 - 06:08 PM

It's worth noting that CR hasn't yet reviewed the new Sharp LCDs:

In these Ratings, we have only one 26- inch model from Sharp, a major brand in LCDs, but we are now testing the 46-inch Aquos LC-46D62U, $3,000, and the 42- inch 42D62U, $2,300. Both of these 1080p models displayed excellent HD picture quality in our early tests, and look like promising sets. Full test results will be available here soon.
Rich Gallagher

#15 of 17 CoolCatbro

CoolCatbro

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 57 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 26 2006

Posted February 14 2007 - 10:51 PM

Magazine articles

CR is a mag I'm skeptical of.i

I lost interest in them after I owned a car they totally sabotaged...but it was one of the best cars I ever owned and bought a second one and a third.
but according to CR this car sucked really bad.
And I notice they always rate Toyota and Honda above everyone else giving the impression they never breakdown....bullshit of course. And the others they yo-yo (some good , some bad...) leaving the imprssion YOU BETTER BUY TOYOTA AND HONDA!

hmmm?

i had a personal contact, whose company made the cover of FORBES too...it didn't happen by chance or luck, it was a "deal" made and a lot of "work" went into getting a positive front cover run on the magazine. They pretty much wrote the article for FORBES and all the positive hype.

I read the articles too, but I think the Forums are as good as it gets for brutal honesty and people talking about problems or pleasant surprises.

BUY DLP ITS THE BEST EVER MADE AND IS THE TECHNOLOGY CHOSEN BY THE CINEMA AND FAMOUS PRODUCERS. GEORGE LUCAS HAS A DLP AND TROY AIKMAN HAS A RACE CAR WITH THE DLP LOGO ON IT.

#16 of 17 Arthur S

Arthur S

    Screenwriter

  • 2,572 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 1999

Posted February 15 2007 - 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCatbro
Magazine articles

CR is a mag I'm skeptical of.i

I lost interest in them after I owned a car they totally sabotaged...but it was one of the best cars I ever owned and bought a second one and a third.
but according to CR this car sucked really bad.
And I notice they always rate Toyota and Honda above everyone else giving the impression they never breakdown....bullshit of course. And the others they yo-yo (some good , some bad...) leaving the imprssion YOU BETTER BUY TOYOTA AND HONDA!

hmmm?

i had a personal contact, whose company made the cover of FORBES too...it didn't happen by chance or luck, it was a "deal" made and a lot of "work" went into getting a positive front cover run on the magazine. They pretty much wrote the article for FORBES and all the positive hype.

I read the articles too, but I think the Forums are as good as it gets for brutal honesty and people talking about problems or pleasant surprises.

BUY DLP ITS THE BEST EVER MADE AND IS THE TECHNOLOGY CHOSEN BY THE CINEMA AND FAMOUS PRODUCERS. GEORGE LUCAS HAS A DLP AND TROY AIKMAN HAS A RACE CAR WITH THE DLP LOGO ON IT.

Hi Reginald

With all due respect...I have been subscribing to Consumer Reports for almost 30 years and I have bought a lot of their products...too numerous to mention...including several automobiles including Toyota, Honda, and Nissan...and the models that they recommended were very very good as far as reliability...anyone can get a lemon from any manufacturer...however, CR sends out over 810,000 surveys to prepare its Reliability Ratings of automobiles and my experience and the experience of others is consistent with CRs ratings...I am glad that the automobile that you purchased has been reliable...ancedotal experience by several private owners is simply not as reliable an indicator as the results of 810,000 surveys returned from more than 4,000,000 subscribers to a magazine that accepts no advertising and has been testing products and services for more than 70 years...and with regard to the testing of HD TVs...the DLP is the top rated technology (for rear projection TVs) in the March issue of CR...this may actually be consistent with the DLP technology chosen by George Lucas and Troy Aikman...thank you for contributing to this thread.

#17 of 17 CoolCatbro

CoolCatbro

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 57 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 26 2006

Posted February 16 2007 - 03:10 PM

Well, its good to hear that about CR from someone who's into them for that long. I'd find it a bit more believable here in the forum, than in a magazine.
I wonder how they pick whose product they showcase? Surely they can't pick every name brand in the world when it comes to TV's?

yeah, DLP is a great technology, I was referring to the hundreds of millions spent on Marketing and Advertisements.

there's a bit of the old slush money floating around to get on the shelves of the big consumer stores too. I just find it interesting all the "work" that goes into this sales versus Widget A versus Widget B.

I haven't read the full article yet in CR...

Do they make any predictions on HDTV coming down to fewer technology's?

like VCR versus Beta Max ..only one winner?
Or will it be a multi-technology battle and debate forever?

DLP versus LCos versus LCD versus OLED versus SED versus CRT versus Plasma versus DLP with LED versus .........

or will some die out like the cassette tape?


Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)



Forum Nav Content I Follow