What's new

Pointless releases for HD DVD/BD (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
With Borat having been announced on BD, I thought it would be good to start a thread of titles for which an HD release would be utterly pointless:
28 Days Later
Open Water
Bamboozled
Reno 911: Miami
any Dogme 95 films.
Anyone want to continue?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Currently released that had no need for a high def release:

Hitch
Scooby Doo
Failure to Launch
House of Wax
Rumor Has It
RV
Talladega Nights
50 First Dates
A Knight's Tale

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
And I wondered the reason to bring out The Blair Witch Project in HD on the XBox Marketplace. Video and 16mm doesn't exactly shout out: TIER 1 PQ! :D

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering the exact same thing. Initially, I thought the titles Stephen J H listed were titles shot on video that wouldn't benefit from an BD or HD DVD transfer and that that's what is point was...

Anyway, equally confused here.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Well, come now. No one needs any movies in HD. What different people want is a different story however.

But the original point of this thread was not for folks to list movies they don't think are 'worthy of HD' because they don't like them (or don't think we need them). It was to come up with a list of films that have low A/V quality do to the way they were made, and therefore aren't going to benefit much from being presented in HD.

Scooby Doo, for example, reportedly looks really good in HD. That it isn't a good movie isn't relevant to what the original poster was getting at.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
P.S.

Has Borat been announced? I thought I read that the listing (wherever it was) was in error.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Perhaps you mean titles like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow due to the way it was filmed.... soft. ?

I happen to love A Knight's Tale although the transfer had a few specs of dirt. It was one of the early releases where Sony seemed to not care about cleaning up speckles or dirt and noise before transferring to HD.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
In some respects; we will criticize movies we dont like for being issued as HD releases, and those that the poster's first mentions are easily among those movies that; whether we like them or not, are simply not 'ambassadors' for HD content. I would personally add that they are all examples of 'lousy art,' and thus would have been happy to not even see them on DVD at all.

For me, the frustration is that studios release this putrid crap (movies that are not good forms of art in either sound, scripting, acting, producing and/or directing) while they hold back on many more worthwhile endeavors in what can be deemed as the still early going of a format war.

Studios would not doubt argue that ET, Jurassic Park, Star Wars et al will not be released till they as studios feel there can be some maximization of profit and return of value to the shareholder, where we enthusiasts would argue that if they would release the software, the true 'shareholders;' the consumer - will buy the hardware. Since all these publicly owned companies - both studios and OEMs - have agendas that are at variance with each other; I dont see where this will change.

Not even in a the throes of a format war.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
pointless thread more like it.

every movie should be released in hi def format

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I agree.

Wasn't Borat shot in 720p Digital Video? They could just present it in that resolution.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Perhaps I should clarify. When I meant that something was pointless to release on BD/HD DVD, I was referring to material where the original elements did not warrant an HD release. I don't know where people are getting that Borat was shot in 720p from. It's very clear if you've seen this in the theatres that it was shot on DV, like most of the dogme 95 films, Bamboozled, Open Water and 28 Days Later. Those who mentioned The Blair Witch Project et al had the right idea.

Let's face it: does anyone want to see classic television that wasn't originated on film show up in HD? The source simply doesn't warrant it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks