Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pointless releases for HD DVD/BD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:10 AM

With Borat having been announced on BD, I thought it would be good to start a thread of titles for which an HD release would be utterly pointless:
28 Days Later
Open Water
Bamboozled
Reno 911: Miami
any Dogme 95 films.
Anyone want to continue?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#2 of 94 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,513 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:41 AM

Currently released that had no need for a high def release:

Hitch
Scooby Doo
Failure to Launch
House of Wax
Rumor Has It
RV
Talladega Nights
50 First Dates
A Knight's Tale
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 94 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:44 AM

Are we just naming movies/tv we don't like? Posted Image

#4 of 94 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,513 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:47 AM

I like a few of those movies I mentioned, but did anyone really need ANY of them in HD?
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 94 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:48 AM

And I wondered the reason to bring out The Blair Witch Project in HD on the XBox Marketplace. Video and 16mm doesn't exactly shout out: TIER 1 PQ! Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#6 of 94 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
Are we just naming movies/tv we don't like? Posted Image

I was wondering the exact same thing. Initially, I thought the titles Stephen J H listed were titles shot on video that wouldn't benefit from an BD or HD DVD transfer and that that's what is point was...

Anyway, equally confused here.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 94 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,486 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
I like a few of those movies I mentioned, but did anyone really need ANY of them in HD?

Well, come now. No one needs any movies in HD. What different people want is a different story however.

But the original point of this thread was not for folks to list movies they don't think are 'worthy of HD' because they don't like them (or don't think we need them). It was to come up with a list of films that have low A/V quality do to the way they were made, and therefore aren't going to benefit much from being presented in HD.

Scooby Doo, for example, reportedly looks really good in HD. That it isn't a good movie isn't relevant to what the original poster was getting at.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#8 of 94 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,486 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:55 AM

P.S.

Has Borat been announced? I thought I read that the listing (wherever it was) was in error.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#9 of 94 Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:56 AM

The Jackass films.

#10 of 94 Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 09:01 AM

...I was going to make a response, but I'll just wait for David to show up and take care of it.

#11 of 94 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 09:25 AM

Perhaps you mean titles like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow due to the way it was filmed.... soft. ?

I happen to love A Knight's Tale although the transfer had a few specs of dirt. It was one of the early releases where Sony seemed to not care about cleaning up speckles or dirt and noise before transferring to HD.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#12 of 94 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 09:46 AM

In some respects; we will criticize movies we dont like for being issued as HD releases, and those that the poster's first mentions are easily among those movies that; whether we like them or not, are simply not 'ambassadors' for HD content. I would personally add that they are all examples of 'lousy art,' and thus would have been happy to not even see them on DVD at all.

For me, the frustration is that studios release this putrid crap (movies that are not good forms of art in either sound, scripting, acting, producing and/or directing) while they hold back on many more worthwhile endeavors in what can be deemed as the still early going of a format war.

Studios would not doubt argue that ET, Jurassic Park, Star Wars et al will not be released till they as studios feel there can be some maximization of profit and return of value to the shareholder, where we enthusiasts would argue that if they would release the software, the true 'shareholders;' the consumer - will buy the hardware. Since all these publicly owned companies - both studios and OEMs - have agendas that are at variance with each other; I dont see where this will change.

Not even in a the throes of a format war.
Peter

My Collection

#13 of 94 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,964 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 29 2007 - 12:18 PM

pointless thread more like it.

every movie should be released in hi def format

facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 94 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,974 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 29 2007 - 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD

I agree.

Wasn't Borat shot in 720p Digital Video? They could just present it in that resolution.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#15 of 94 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 01:55 PM

Quote:

I second that.

#16 of 94 Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
I second that.

I third that.

Heck lets just keep all these films stuck on VHS...

(as borat would say!)

NOT!
Playstation Network:
CarpeD1em500

#17 of 94 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
I agree.

Wasn't Borat shot in 720p Digital Video? They could just present it in that resolution.
Perhaps I should clarify. When I meant that something was pointless to release on BD/HD DVD, I was referring to material where the original elements did not warrant an HD release. I don't know where people are getting that Borat was shot in 720p from. It's very clear if you've seen this in the theatres that it was shot on DV, like most of the dogme 95 films, Bamboozled, Open Water and 28 Days Later. Those who mentioned The Blair Witch Project et al had the right idea.

Let's face it: does anyone want to see classic television that wasn't originated on film show up in HD? The source simply doesn't warrant it.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 94 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:12 PM

Quote:

Agreed.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#19 of 94 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:14 PM

Quote:

Smells like a threadcrap to me.

#20 of 94 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:16 PM

Why? Just because he doesn't agree with you?

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow