Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NHT loudspeakers - anybody here own or heard them?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 01:29 PM

NHT (Now Hear This) Loudspeakers homepage

I've read about their speakers for years but have never actually heard them. And now that their Classic 3 bookshelf is on the cover of The Absolute Sound, I figured this is a good a time as any to ask & also to let others know about this respected, and sort of quirky Posted Image company (not too many other manufacturers use yodeling on their site's front page).

They are one of those "near hi-end" manufacturers that don't charge nearly as much as you would think for their gear. They are also one of the few companies that still utilize acoustic-suspension bass systems.

Here is an interview written in late 1997 with the company's founder, Ken Kantor, and an excerpt:
I've been semi seriously planning a pure stereo/no subwoofer/separates/music only system for rock/pop music and their Classic Four floorstander seems to really fit the bill (Stereophile reviewed them). Plus, they look very cool.

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 10:46 PM

Have just 1 (using a SuperOne as a center channel in my home theatre). Have heard SB3's in store. These speakers are not as efficient as some (suspect you need a decent amp), but they sound REALLY good. The Classic 2 & 3 will produce enough bass for most music, but you'll need a sub for movies.
Turn It UP!

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 383 posts
  • LocationSalisbury MD

Posted January 29 2007 - 12:05 AM

I'm using 5 Sperzeros, an older model, and love them. Definately go and check them out.

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 01:28 AM

I had 3 SuperZeros across the front, a pair of their dipole surrounds, and one of their subs back in '94 or so in a Pro Logic system. Great stuff! I sold 'em years ago, but I'll bet the Zeros still hold up. I've since had SuperOnes and Twos, as well as a SuperCenter I still have, but the Zeros were the special ones.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Rich Allen

Rich Allen

Second Unit

• 383 posts
  • LocationSalisbury MD

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:14 AM

I've listed to many since, and the only ones that i can say I clearly liked a lot more were quite a bit more money. They still sounds good to me so I'm happy. I still remember Cory Greenburgs review of them in Sterophile.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:20 AM

Listen (preferably in-home) and if you like the way they sound, buy them. NHT makes some excellent speakers, but like all speakers, in the end it's personal preference.
Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 29 2007 - 05:03 AM

What Dan said. The last ones I listened to were the Evo M5s and M6s and I really liked them as well as the SB3s. Across the board, they do like to have more power than your average speakers to really bring out the best in them.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   BrianTwig

BrianTwig

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 05:43 AM

I have their IW3 inwall speakers all around and am very happy with then.
My budget system constrained by WAF

JVC HD-ILA HD-52G787
Panasonic DVD-S52K
Marantz SR5600Marantz CC4300NHT IW3s all aroundPureAV PF60SVS PB12-NSD/2

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Do your NHT's have any particular "sonic personality" i.e. warm, neutral or bright?

For these newest models I'm a little bit worried about the use of aluminum domes for the tweeter and midrange drivers, but don't think this company would use anything that sounded "tizzy" or harsh.

I figured they use more power than ported speakers but am not worried about that as I would be using a power amplifier with them.* Actually, the Classic Fours use a bass reflex system for their 10" aluminum woofer but the speaker's relatively low SPL figure of 86dB tells me that it will very probably produce more extended bass vs. a same-sized speaker with higher efficiency. I'm thinking they will need a 150watt/ch power amp to properly utilize them (I'm leaning towards a B&K).

* for anyone using THX-certified receivers/processors, sealed speakers work better with the crossover slopes mandated for the THX standard - check out this issue here (about half way down)

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 29 2007 - 09:43 AM

They've used those aluminum tweeters for the past few generations, not sure about the midbass. I do find them a bit crisp, but not annoyingly bright. I found them less bright than the Studio 40s I had for auditioning. If anything, I would call their midrange more neutral and the highs a bit forward from neutral. Aluminum drivers does not always mean bright; I have Mordaunt Short 902s which use an aluminum dome tweeter and midbass and they are definitely not bright.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 10:27 AM

I have a pair of the Classic Absolute Zero's in my 2.1 channel music-only rig. They replaced a pair of SB3's that are now in a 2CH music rig in my office. The AZ's are very nice loudspeaker. They image very well. I have read some descriptions of the Classics as being a tad forward, but these 46 years old ears are not hearing that at all. If a recording is bright, they well convey that, but for the most part, I would consider them nicely balanced. No doubt you would need a sub with the AZ's, but if carefully set up, they sound sensational. The room where I have the AZ's is a pretty large front room, with a high sloping cathedral ceiling, opening to a dining area and also a foyer. In other words, way too much room for this little puny(!) loudspeaker, but what amazes me is that they will play loud and clean up to any sane level (I have measured them at the listening position in the high 90dB range). Build quality is top shelf...the paint finish rivals most cars. I can well imagine that the 4's would be sweet if you can set them up to both image well and produce decent low bass. Unrelated to the Classics, I auditioned the Xd's last year, and was astounded. More $$$$ then I would spend for a 2.1 channel rig, but they are an amazing set of loudspeakers. Brian

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hi Lance You will think this is some kind of joke...however, I would save about $4,000 and get a pair of HTD Level 3 Towers. Used to be the NHT 3.3 and I knew a guy who had them and loved them and ended up getting JM Labs... Please keep us informed of your progress in making a decision.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hi Lance I saw those speakers you are thinking about on sale...look pretty good at the sale price I saw...please keep in touch. PS Stratis Minis look interesting too.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 11:58 PM

Sounds like Ricky T to me. NHT are hard to beat for the money and they DO like power. I'd call them neutral sounding unless you use bright electronics all around.
Charles

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 04:59 AM

Hi Charles You are exactly right...I was talking about Ricky Troung...do you know where he is hanging out these days? I haven't seen him posting on any of the forums I visit...Last I heard he had bought an NEC front projector.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Kin Poon

Kin Poon

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted January 30 2007 - 10:08 AM

i have NHT M6 across the front, and i agree, they are neutral. Feed them warm gear, and they will sound warm, feed them bright gear, they will sound bright. AKA.....feed them crap, its gonna throw out crap.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 04:14 AM

Hi Lance I knew a guy who bought a pair of $11,000 high end speakers that were flat from 20 to 20...when he got them out of their huge wooden crates...he found them very very bright...he first bought all new speaker wires and cables... which did next to nothing...and finally ended up with something like a 3 watt single ended triode amp to try to tame the brightness. Please keep what Kin Poon said in mind. I support your desire for an ultra clean stereo pair of speakers.

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 09:59 AM

I'd like to hear an Xd set-up in a good room myself. But the NHT website is somewhat confusing as to which dealers have an Xd display or not.....
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted January 31 2007 - 01:41 PM

Definitely. Especially since much of the music I listen to* is not exactly recorded to audiophile specifications so would rather not hear every sonic negative outlined in stunning clarity. Posted Image The Four's bass response is a definite plus because this will be a "pure" 2.0 system: CD player & turntable --> preamp --> power amp --> loudspeakers. That's it......and a comfortable chair to be decided on also.

* alternative rock (Beck, Sonic Youth, Black Flag etc) ska (just getting into this), punk (NOFX, Minutemen etc) and downtempo like Blue States and Massive Attack, though this genre usually does sound better.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   mississippi_xj

mississippi_xj

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 02:30 AM

I have 5 absolute zero bookshelfs in my system. Phenominal speaker. I have the most coherent and realastic sound stage that I have ever had in my room. They are also *VERY* revealing of source equipment. You can easily hear differences in amplifiers, dvd, cd, etc... I personaly would call them high-end. The only problem is that they don't cost an arm and a leg. The highs aren't overly bright at all. I actually switched from b&k to yamaha in my system because the b&k soundes so laid back in comparison. (to my ears) happy hunting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users