What's new

Best trick/twist ending in a movie? (spoilers, of course!) (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
What was a shocker to you? What twist did you not see coming even if you were looking for a twist? Here are some that I have loved and they never grow old (for me):

Usual Suspects - Has to be considered one of the best of all time.

Sixth Sense - It's a good one but it had less impact on me since I guessed it early on.

The Village - This one was underrated in my opinion. I did not see this one coming at all. Most people didn't like the movie; hence they didn't like the ending.

Matchstick Men - Most people don't rank this one up there with other twist endings but I loved it and it was perfect for the movie.

Seven - Not really a twist but the ending was a shocker to me.

What are some others we can add to this list? I know I'm leaving tons of 'em out.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good list so far. Another one that comes to mind is the original Planet of the Apes (1968) when Charleton Heston and the girl? ride up to the Statue of Liberty right there on the shore. Spooky and a jaw dropper. :emoji_thumbsup:

Hmm....I know there's more....

Agree with you on The Usual Suspects. Might just be #1 on this list.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The Prestige is a recent film that comes to mind.

I liked the twist in Unbreakable, too, even if I saw it coming. It still works really well in that film and doesn't feel forced at all.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The Planet of the Apes is the rare case where the movie actually improves on the book (which I read a kid long before I knew there was a movie) at least as far as endings go.

--
H

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
We're this far into the list and no one has mentioned The Crying Game? For shame... that was the plot twist heard round the world. :D

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Unbreakable - another underrated one, I agree. I need to see that one again because I remember it having a big impact on me as the credits rolled.

Crying Game - this is another one that to me, had less of an impact than it would of if I didn't know what was coming. But it was hard not to know what was coming because of the media attention it got.

What was up with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes at the end? I totally didn't get it or was I supposed to? Tim Burton's commentary on the DVD was vague as well. If I remember right, he basically just said it was up to the interpretation of the viewer. Huh?

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
The best twist ending ever are obviously these two as far as I'm concerned:

Psycho (Mom related)
The Empire Strikes Back (Dad related)

In the underrated department, I'd like to add
The Machinist where you really understand the psychology/breakdown of the main character.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I've never seen The Machinist. I'll have to check that one out.

That has me thinking...what are some other 'under the radar' twist/trick endings in movies? Some that perhaps many have not seen because they weren't mainstream hollywood flicks?

There was this one Tom Berenger movie from the early 90's . I think it had the word "red" in the title but I can't remember the name of it. I remember it had a good twist ending to it's murder mystery.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
You may be thinking of "Shattered" with Tom Berenger and Gretta Scachi. (I think that's the title) Mystery of a man who is seriously injured and disfigured in an accident piecing together his life, with shocking consequences.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Fight Club - That had me floored. Stayed through the entire credits just thinking "whoa!"

Sleepaway Camp - If you've seen The Crying Game, you might guess the twist ending to this one.

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator
I figured this one out from the tv commercial alone, before I even saw the movie...the kid says "I see dead people" while staring directly at Bruce Willis.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it was Shattered. I loved that twist!

The character Tom Berenger is looking for is none other than himself.

Other movies that comes up:

Mulholland Drive The whole character switch.

Pan's Labyrinth Not really a twist, but Ofelia's death was quite a powerful way to end the movie.

The Others Nicole is a ghost.

and finally
Van Helsing I paid $7 for this rental???!

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
For some reason, Shattered isn't the movie I'm thinking of but everyone is correct, it is a great twist and it does have Berenger in it. The "red" titled twist movie must not have Berenger in it (I checked imdb and I don't see it listed under him) but it was an early 90's movie as well. Hopefully I'll think of it.

God, Fight Club. Of course. Excellent ending.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
What was the twist of the "..red" movie with Tom Berenger? You might talking about "Betrayed", though I'm not sure there was a twist in it.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Couple more I just thought of:

Malice (Nicole Kidman & Alec Baldwin)

Primal Fear (Ed Norton)
*I can't believe I forgot this one on my original list. I loved this twist.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

For the life of me, I can't remember. I know it doesn't have Berenger now. It must have another actor in it that is similar to him. I am searching the internet looking for the title to this movie. I will not sleep before I find it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks