-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best trick/twist ending in a movie? (spoilers, of course!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#1 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 12:44 PM

What was a shocker to you? What twist did you not see coming even if you were looking for a twist? Here are some that I have loved and they never grow old (for me):

Usual Suspects - Has to be considered one of the best of all time.

Sixth Sense - It's a good one but it had less impact on me since I guessed it early on.

The Village - This one was underrated in my opinion. I did not see this one coming at all. Most people didn't like the movie; hence they didn't like the ending.

Matchstick Men - Most people don't rank this one up there with other twist endings but I loved it and it was perfect for the movie.

Seven - Not really a twist but the ending was a shocker to me.

What are some others we can add to this list? I know I'm leaving tons of 'em out.

#2 of 114 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,654 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 04:14 PM

Good list so far. Another one that comes to mind is the original Planet of the Apes (1968) when Charleton Heston and the girl? ride up to the Statue of Liberty right there on the shore. Spooky and a jaw dropper. Posted Image

Hmm....I know there's more....

Agree with you on The Usual Suspects. Might just be #1 on this list.

#3 of 114 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 04:34 PM

The Prestige is a recent film that comes to mind.

I liked the twist in Unbreakable, too, even if I saw it coming. It still works really well in that film and doesn't feel forced at all.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#4 of 114 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,654 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 04:43 PM

Excellent call on Unbreakable Brett. Posted Image

#5 of 114 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 05:23 PM

The Planet of the Apes is the rare case where the movie actually improves on the book (which I read a kid long before I knew there was a movie) at least as far as endings go.

--
H

#6 of 114 Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 05:48 PM

Saw. I still can't belive how insanely shocked that movie left me.

#7 of 114 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted January 28 2007 - 06:20 PM

We're this far into the list and no one has mentioned The Crying Game? For shame... that was the plot twist heard round the world. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#8 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 01:24 AM

Unbreakable - another underrated one, I agree. I need to see that one again because I remember it having a big impact on me as the credits rolled.

Crying Game - this is another one that to me, had less of an impact than it would of if I didn't know what was coming. But it was hard not to know what was coming because of the media attention it got.

What was up with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes at the end? I totally didn't get it or was I supposed to? Tim Burton's commentary on the DVD was vague as well. If I remember right, he basically just said it was up to the interpretation of the viewer. Huh?

#9 of 114 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 02:10 AM

The best twist ending ever are obviously these two as far as I'm concerned:

Psycho (Mom related)
The Empire Strikes Back (Dad related)

In the underrated department, I'd like to add
The Machinist where you really understand the psychology/breakdown of the main character.

#10 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:16 AM

I've never seen The Machinist. I'll have to check that one out.

That has me thinking...what are some other 'under the radar' twist/trick endings in movies? Some that perhaps many have not seen because they weren't mainstream hollywood flicks?

There was this one Tom Berenger movie from the early 90's . I think it had the word "red" in the title but I can't remember the name of it. I remember it had a good twist ending to it's murder mystery.

#11 of 114 Stephen_L

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 03:20 AM

You may be thinking of "Shattered" with Tom Berenger and Gretta Scachi. (I think that's the title) Mystery of a man who is seriously injured and disfigured in an accident piecing together his life, with shocking consequences.
"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

#12 of 114 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 04:47 AM

Fight Club - That had me floored. Stayed through the entire credits just thinking "whoa!"

Sleepaway Camp - If you've seen The Crying Game, you might guess the twist ending to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
What was up with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes at the end? I totally didn't get it or was I supposed to? Tim Burton's commentary on the DVD was vague as well. If I remember right, he basically just said it was up to the interpretation of the viewer. Huh?

See, I might have the only one who thought Burton's Apes ending was REALLY cool and I wish there was a sequel leading into THAT movie that the ending promised.

What I got out of it was
Thade somehow fixed the spaceship he was trapped in, went back through time in a timewarp and took over Earth as the Thade Lincoln statue showed. Then Mark Wahlberg came back to this alternate reality. Sort of like Back to the Future: Part II.

#13 of 114 Joel Stein

Joel Stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Sixth Sense - It's a good one but it had less impact on me since I guessed it early on.
I figured this one out from the tv commercial alone, before I even saw the movie...the kid says "I see dead people" while staring directly at Bruce Willis.

#14 of 114 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yes it was Shattered. I loved that twist!

The character Tom Berenger is looking for is none other than himself.

Other movies that comes up:

Mulholland Drive
The whole character switch.

Pan's Labyrinth
Not really a twist, but Ofelia's death was quite a powerful way to end the movie.

The Others
Nicole is a ghost.

and finally
Van Helsing
I paid $7 for this rental???!

#15 of 114 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 29 2007 - 05:40 AM

Schaffner's Planet of the Apes tops them all, IMO still the greatest twist ending in movie history.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#16 of 114 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 06:32 AM

Let's also add

The Matrix
and
Dark City

both of which has a similar twist.

#17 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 06:38 AM

For some reason, Shattered isn't the movie I'm thinking of but everyone is correct, it is a great twist and it does have Berenger in it. The "red" titled twist movie must not have Berenger in it (I checked imdb and I don't see it listed under him) but it was an early 90's movie as well. Hopefully I'll think of it.

God, Fight Club. Of course. Excellent ending.

#18 of 114 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 07:11 AM

What was the twist of the "..red" movie with Tom Berenger? You might talking about "Betrayed", though I'm not sure there was a twist in it.

#19 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 07:12 AM

Couple more I just thought of:

Malice (Nicole Kidman & Alec Baldwin)

Primal Fear (Ed Norton)
*I can't believe I forgot this one on my original list. I loved this twist.

#20 of 114 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bang
What was the twist of the "..red" movie with Tom Berenger?

For the life of me, I can't remember. I know it doesn't have Berenger now. It must have another actor in it that is similar to him. I am searching the internet looking for the title to this movie. I will not sleep before I find it....

Forum Nav Content I Follow