• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,419 posts

Posted January 27 2007 - 12:19 PM

There's a mobster, Buddy Israel, offering the feds the drop on mob activity in Las Vegas, and a slew of hitmen (motivated by the bounty placed on Buddy's head by the mob) on their way to stop Buddy from testifying. That's the setup.

I thought there was some wayward laughs in this film, but it's got far too many characters, and not enough character development to make its conclusion all that interesting (since a lot of it was telegraphed early on in the film).

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 3 Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 08:48 AM

The first 15 minutes of this film feels overly convoluted, introducing us to about 15 characters through LOTS of dialogue and scene snippets. It reminded me of a manic, messy take on a Guy Ritchie film. By the time the chainsaws come out, the movie had long crossed the line into almost cartoon violence, being so over the top (so usually squeamish me wasn't bothered).

At times, Jeremy Piven's attempts at dramatics felt a bit out of place amidst all the chaotic mayhem. Still, I found myself rooting for him.

Despite everything, I kind of enjoyed it. Posted Image

I give it a C+.

#3 of 3 Brett_M

Brett_M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted January 29 2007 - 11:33 AM

I enjoyed myself at the theater but this is not a good film. It has way too much exposition and too little character. It's all flash and gloss with no center. There is 20 minutes of exposition at the beginning -- I looked at my watch. I kept waiting for it to start.

Great cast, some funny, quotable dialog and some truly original characters -- all wasted.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users