What's new

Smokin' Aces - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's a mobster, Buddy Israel, offering the feds the drop on mob activity in Las Vegas, and a slew of hitmen (motivated by the bounty placed on Buddy's head by the mob) on their way to stop Buddy from testifying. That's the setup.

I thought there was some wayward laughs in this film, but it's got far too many characters, and not enough character development to make its conclusion all that interesting (since a lot of it was telegraphed early on in the film).

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The first 15 minutes of this film feels overly convoluted, introducing us to about 15 characters through LOTS of dialogue and scene snippets. It reminded me of a manic, messy take on a Guy Ritchie film. By the time the chainsaws come out, the movie had long crossed the line into almost cartoon violence, being so over the top (so usually squeamish me wasn't bothered).

At times, Jeremy Piven's attempts at dramatics felt a bit out of place amidst all the chaotic mayhem. Still, I found myself rooting for him.

Despite everything, I kind of enjoyed it. :)

I give it a C+.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I enjoyed myself at the theater but this is not a good film. It has way too much exposition and too little character. It's all flash and gloss with no center. There is 20 minutes of exposition at the beginning -- I looked at my watch. I kept waiting for it to start.

Great cast, some funny, quotable dialog and some truly original characters -- all wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks