What's new

Tweeters (1 Viewer)

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I always woundered about this but I would like to know what other guys think about this but do you guys think that Titanium Laminated dome tweeters and Polycarbonated dome tweeters sound the same?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not at all. Polycarbonate tweeters sound like crap generally. Implementation is a key factor also though, because the overall design makes a big difference in how a speaker sounds.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well the Pro Control 1s use Poly tweeters so I thought they were great tweeters. But are the Poly tweeters used in Control 1s cheap and not good?

Also my JBL HLS410 uses Poly tweeters too just to let you know. But I did notice that older speakers use Poly domes.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dallas

With all due respect to my friend John Garcia...tweeters can be made from plastic, paper, metal and probably even wood shavings...the speaker designer can make the tweeter have as much emphasis as he wants to, and any material can sound just fine.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
So that means that you can use the Poly tweeters and make them sound better than most Poly domes if its designed good?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Polycarbonate tweeters are often found in cheap speakers, however it isn't exactly that simple. These are usually not meant for large area, loud listening. The Pro 1s are essentially a near field studio monitor not intended to be driven to theater levels, IMO. There are also a WIDE variety of tweeter designs as well, and a Poly DOME tweeter is not the same as a cheapo polycarbonate or mylar tweeter that is what I was referring to originally (and a too broadly). In my experience, the average polycarbonate tweeter doesn't sound anything like a titanium tweeter however.

To answer your question though, and to expand on what I said early and what Arthur said, you can choose almost any tweeter material and tailor the sound to your liking in the crossover design, and the crossover design is every bit as important as the driver selection.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well when I was saying Poly dome I was talking about Polycarbonate dome tweeters I just shorten the word. So I guess that the Control 1X tweeters are better since they are titanium laminated dome tweeters and not Polycarbonated?? My JBL HLS410 uses Polycarbonated dome tweeters attached to a horn.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dallas

In my humble opinion, it just doesn't matter whether they are made out of any kind of plastic, metal, wood, paper, ceramic or anything else...the speaker designer can made the tweeter sound whatever way they want it to. I have titanium, plastic, and other kinds of tweeters...and in my opinion the very best tweeters are the ribbon tweeters and they are much more expensive than most of the others.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well what I am trying to do is I was thinking to swich my current titanium laminated dome tweeters to a polycarbonated home tweeters that are used on the JBL Control 1 Pros. My Control 1X doesn't use the same tweeters as the orginal Control 1 from pro.

postit

Auditioning
Real Name
mike

IMO, it's more important in a well designed speaker system, how well the tweeter is integrated to produce the desired affect. Material I think is just one factor in the overall design and I would argue as important in the speaker it was crossed over from as well. I found out very quickly in trying to make my own with a smooth response, that the material tweeters were made of were the least of my headaches.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
There is no real reason to change the tweeters in your JBL speakers. The speakers were designed with a particular tweeter, and changing to a different tweeter will not improve the sound quality. The engineers at JBL really do know what they are doing - I would bet that a majority of sound installations in stage theaters and movie theaters are JBL. They've been at it for decades.

Titanium tweeters are really really nice.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I always woundered about this but what will happen if you change the titanium laminated tweeter that was in a 4000hz crossover in the speaker box to a Polycarbonated tweeter that was normaly made for 6000hz in the same type of box? What I mean is is it ok to take the orginal tweeter that was connected to a 4000hz crossover out and put a different tweeter that is the same size and shape but the different tweeter was connected to a 6000hz crossover.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you do it? Yes. Will it sound good. Odds are that it won't. A cross-over is designed to work with specific speakers in a specific enclosure. Even if both tweeters are rated at the same impedence, they still don't have the same frequency response curve.

-Robert

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well actualy these are titanium laminated dome tweeters not pure titanium. Isnt titanium laminated dome tweeter not good as pure titanium? I like the sound of pure but if it's laminated then it sounds kinda funny and different I think that's why I wanted eather pure titanium or polycarbonated dome tweeters.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Ok here's the thing I wanted to do. What I wanted to do is to make my Control 1Xtreme to sound closest to the orginal Control 1 from pros since I really liked the sound of the pros and according to what I hear through my ears is the only difference in the two is the tweeters since the highs sound different because mine is titanium laminated and the pros are polycarbonated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks