Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How much longer do fans have to wait before we see "Dobie Gillis"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 01:44 AM

This really needs an official studio release. I wish Fox wasn't so oblivious to this classic sitcom. Is there any way to persuade the studio to release this because quite frankly I don't see this being released?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 03:36 AM

We need to be persuading companies like Fox to license their shows out to companies like S'More and Shout (or even Alpha) who would be willing to put old series out on DVD. Someone should advise these companies that getting at least something for old series is better than getting nothing.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 06:29 AM

Probably until they've exhausted themselves with the numerous re-releases of Buffy and the other modern moron shows that appeal to younger buyers.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 26 2007 - 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Alden
Probably until they've exhausted themselves with the numerous re-releases of Buffy and the other modern moron shows that appeal to younger buyers.
Beating that 'Buffy sucks' horse never gets old, huh?

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 07:00 AM

Yet another vintage Fox show waiting in the vaults as fans stew and simmer to a boil, along with:

Batman
Peyton Place
The Green Hornet
Room 222
Burke's Law
Honey West
- this is already out in R2!
Judd: For The Defense
Bracken's World
-

and yet Fox has done very little in raiding its vaults for vintage shows compared to Paramount, Sony and Warner Bros.! Perhaps if they started licensing the DVD rights to some of their older shows to indie firms like MPI, Image and Anchor Bay, which just got Ironside from Universal!

Michael, you took the words right from my mouth. (But then, it's a comment about Fox I've used myself on this forum during the past few years!)
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Art_AD

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 09:26 AM

I would like to add The Paper Chase and The Ghost and Mrs Muir to the Fox please release or licence out classic TV shows list debate

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted January 26 2007 - 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

Maybe, but you know I never get tired of it. That and the 'Fox sucks' horse are just evergreens IMO. Both are such easy targets though.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Perhaps if they started licensing the DVD rights to some of their older shows to indie firms like MPI, Image and Anchor Bay, which just got Ironside from Universal!

Shout! Factory is going to release "Ironside" according to Sitcoms Online. Speaking of Shout! Factory, on their community forum, I'm leaving a post under "Classic TV I’d love to see on Shout! Factory DVD" about "Dobie Gillis". I thought I would take a chance and leave a message, and see if Shout! can get licensing rights from Fox to release this to DVD. If anyone wants to add to it, the link to the thread is below.

http://www.shoutfact.../62/thread.aspx

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted January 29 2007 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
He didn't say that, but since you brought it up...Posted Image
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted July 29 2008 - 11:54 AM

Has any progress been made to resolve the rights issue with the Max Shulman estate?

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 30 2008 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
Has any progress been made to resolve the rights issue with the Max Shulman estate?

As Chris says Dobie Gillis can't be released because of rights problems. Like 60's Batman, this can't be released on DVD until rights are resolved.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow